A short discussion on 'The Photographers Wife'

A place dedicated to the work of Stina Nordenstam
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

A short discussion on 'The Photographers Wife'

Post by RobB »

This blog page features a short discussion about 'The Photographers Wife' which does raise again the interesting topic about the original intention behind the project and also what became of the original recordings?

http://musichertz.blogspot.com/2008/09/ ... nstam.html

sound world
Bedroom

Re: A short discussion on 'The Photographers Wife'

Post by sound world »

Reviving this (ancient!!) thread because I've just found an interesting snippet from the online Hearsay magazine in interview with Anton Fier (drummer and prime mover of the Golden Palominos). Incidentally the link in RobB's post above is now a dead end.
Anyway I found this:

(Hearsay) What can you tell us about the genesis of your work with Stina Nordenstam on the soundtrack to the Photographer's Wife?

(Fier) [laughs] It’s not a soundtrack! It's just someone being clever with the packaging! It came about cause I heard the Stina Nordenstam record And She Closed Her Eyes. I heard it in Japan and said, 'What the fuck is that?!' I bought every copy they had - I wanted to give it to people so they could hear it. I've done that with other records - I bought 20 or 30 copies of Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden and just gave them out, saying, 'you have to hear this, there's nothing like this I've ever heard, it's a brilliant, brilliant record.' After I listened to Stina's record a million times it came time to put together another Golden Palominos record and I asked her to be involved. It took a long time going through managers but finally the CDs I sent got to her and she responded positively. So I went to Sweden, I paid for my own ticket and hotel and everything. Everything I've done I've generated - it's not going to happen any other way unless I make it happen. These three tracks on this CD were originally for a Golden Palominos album. But it wasn't the record I wanted to make, it was an experiment that failed. But I'm not going to say anything negative about Stina. I'm honoured and flattered that someone I think is great came to New York to try to work with me and give me a part of themselves. It didn't work – not everything works. I ended up selling those tracks to Warner Brothers and that's what you have.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

'Interesting snippet' is a bit understated,Dave? :mrgreen: That's a brilliant find, well done. It basically clears up the whole The Photographers Wife mystery. 8)
It does make me wonder though, given the sale to Warner Brothers quote, if the EP was released without Stina's permission?
Well, you've given us the exclusive here, I think everyone on the FB group would be interested to read it now.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

I found that by Googling 'Stina Nordenstam Book'. Bizarre what turns up when you throw in a few curveball terms.Fier's interview was done in 1996, ie not long after PW was issued.
I wonder what about those three tracks didn't work for him?

OK I've piggybacked it onto a Photographer's Wife Facebook post from a couple of years ago.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

That's so strange that the info has come from such an old interview as I have on several occasions tried to find info about the EP without success. Unless of course its an old interview that's recently been posted up?

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Well I think that Hearsay site is a little moribund. I tried getting into it via the direct link from Google, but I just got a message like this:

Oops, traffic jam!
Sorry, we could not perform the action you requested.

Please wait a few seconds and refresh the page.

So I went back to Google and used the little arrow at the end of the search which says 'Cached' and clicked that and got straight to the interview.
Probably like someone trying to find information from the old Barbieboard or similar.

PS this is the direct link - see if you have any luck http://www.hearsaymagazine.co.uk/anton_fier

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:21 pm
PS this is the direct link - see if you have any luck http://www.hearsaymagazine.co.uk/anton_fier
Thanks for the link, it worked fine. Interestingly the Hearsay magazine also interviewed Mitchell Froom.....unfortunately though a couple of years before he worked with Stina. It does seem these interviews have been on-line since 2008 so I'm not sure how I didn't pick up on the Anton Fier one before in the past?