Your one 'Desert Island' album

A place dedicated to the work of Stina Nordenstam
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Your one 'Desert Island' album

Post by RobB »

Ok, so I think we're sufficiently distanced (time wise) from the release of 'The World Is Saved' not to be influenced by it being the new album !! :mrgreen:

So, what is the one Stina Nordenstam album you would take with you to the desert island? Or to put it another way, what's your fave album? :roll: :wink:

I'm not really expecting much more that two and a half responses to this thread but, people, I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

So my choice is:

This Is Stina Nordenstam

sound world
Bedroom

Re: Your one 'Desert Island' album

Post by sound world »

I have a really soft spot for MOAC, because it's the first Stina album I heard all the way through. I thought then, and I still think that it has an extraordinary maturity in songwriting on some of the tracks, and lyrics in some songs that are breathtakingly subtle and original. A Walk In The Park is a good example of both.
I think Dynamite has the best collection of lyrics on ANY album, actually, frank and confessional and full of stunning images, and a darkness, grime, honesty and tormented passion in the music. Give that woman an electric guitar, light the blue touch paper and stand well back.
TWIS is Stina's best album...it takes elements from all the previous five and sublimates them all into a richly satisfying and mature collection of songs.
And I can't be without PAS or This Is. They're by Stina Nordenstam, after all. I love them both.

But my FAVOURITE will always be ASCHE. When it was voted 'Best Swedish album ever made' the other year, I was really glad that for once, somebody in the ranks of music critics got it right. Well, they could have just left it as 'Best Album ever made'. It's something beyond 'best' really, it just maintains an atmosphere throughout that few albums/musical suites maintain, and whatever that atmosphere is, it works for me.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Still one-and-a-half responses to go!! :roll: :mrgreen:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:Still one-and-a-half responses to go!! :roll: :mrgreen:
Yes, I thought I might have been a little over optimistic there. :wink:

mgubia
Toilet

Post by mgubia »

I love all of her albums more or less equally including her EP with Anton Fier; but my favorite in spirit and execution is People Are Strange because of how she made the tunes her very own. Although I adore Dynamite and The World Is Saved for the same reasons minus the covers concept, I just think People Are Strange is her creative peak as a producer and arranger of music with an overall cinematic feel (she had achieved this already with And She Closed Her Eyes but I think I prefer her more starkly adult facet, kind of misanthropic and wistful at the same time even more so on PAS). Also it features her own photography on the booklet.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Oh lord, I don't even know if I *can*. I wouldn't want to be without any of her albums.

I guess if I was forced, it would have to be The World Is Saved. Purely because the title track is my favourite song by her, ever, and I need it in my possession at all times.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...