Old interview and pic

A place dedicated to the work of Stina Nordenstam
sound world
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Old interview and pic

Post by sound world »

Found this today: http://www.blaskoteket.se/artiklar/soun ... lande-lov/

Here's a Googleised Anglification: https://translate.google.co.uk/translat ... rev=search

Makes for very interesting reading - some of Stina's influences, for instance.

RobB
Bedroom

Re: Old interview and pic

Post by RobB »

A young Swedish jazz musician also looks in spring 1992 just like in your prejudices. Although jazz is swiney, despite the fact that a jazz disco like "Blacknuss" in Stockholm attracts anyone who can distinguish between Miles Davis and Ray Davies, he is dressed just as seventy-one ill as you suppose: heavy boots bought on the surplus stock, slightly wide brown male jeans ( for wide ribs), a knitted beige olle or polo that is wider at the hip than at the shoulders. To this military goggles and the obligatory henna-striped page hairstyle that one likes to attach in the neck with a brown rubber band. And worse yet: the few girls look the same.
It goes without saying that you cannot do insane music if you look like that. At best, this kind of jazz musician expands their A-cash accounts. In the worst case, there will be night jobs on the mail to spend the money from the only gig for the year.
It is a mystery that Stina Nordenstam could in a short time be able to take the step from this ABF-protected therapy activity to the position as the country's only now existing female puppet. Perhaps this Piaf-pale and slightly jolly twenty-year-old from Fisksätra in Nacka is the exception that confirms the rule, maybe she is the top of an iceberg.
We discuss this when we meet at a small anonymous café at Söder in Stockholm. Stina has done all her previous interviews on taverns in Vasastan, where she lives. But when we now applied to Söder to get variety, all the intended interviewing times are closed. So there may be Café Wivex on Bellmansgatan.
But perhaps the place is a little freudian well-calculated. Firstly, my youth's first discotheque at home in Norrland was just Wivex, oh forbidden land. Firstly, the environment is illustrative: while the speakers pump the Pet Shop Boys and Ratata - a decent collection from Nordenstam's new music world - our black-dressed table neighbors discuss jazz, college studies and a scandal on a nearby gallery - fragment that at least I associate with her old jazz world. But Stina doesn't seem to be disturbed, she speaks thoughtfully:
- There are many new jazz musicians who can take the step towards a wider audience. "Jocke" (Joakim Milder, trumpet), Johan Hörlin (sax) and Anders Widmark (piano) for example. Anders is already a bit on the move because he works with Magnus Frykberg (Titiyos songwriter). The problem is only that many of the young Swedish jazz musicians are almost allergic to "becoming stars", towards ending up "in the industry". And although I now find it difficult with everything you "have to do" in the pop context, I had no preconceived sentences before ... do you understand what I mean ...?

Stina Nordenstam often stops during his reasoning. Either she asks with a wondering look through the eccentric oval sixties glasses (type the hyper-designed TV series "The Way of the Crime") if you understood her reasoning. Or she puts the question straight out: "Do you get it?"
Many have perceived her somewhat demanding style - she thinks it is a waste of time if there is no communication with the journalist - as a rejection. A writer even described her as "extremely cocky and confident, simply difficult ...". If you ask her to comment on such a description, she just sighs:
- I get hurt when I hear such. I am just unusually cool, at the same time as I am a little intellectual and analytical. It may be complicated for some.
The one who heard the rumor about how Stina Nordenstam "disappeared" shortly after the album was released - in fact she was on holiday in Turkey - may now understand a little better. Nordenstam does not agree with any rules that others have written. If so, as in the case mentioned, the small record company suffers when journalists become sour.

It was during the spring of 1991 that the myth of Stina Nordenstam began to be whispered. Some fingertip-sensitive opinion makers had seen her appear in her jazz band The Flippermen in various jazz contexts. It soon began to grumble about a "new Monika Zetterlund" (an absurd description) and about "a Swedish Rickie Lee Jones" (an excellent description).
When Klas Lunding on (until then) dance-oriented Telegram Records was rumored to have lit up her demo, then the haze bubbleed over, the culmination was well her pleasantly whispering appearance on Saturday morning in Hultsfred. We were many who ran tequilarave all night before and appreciated the low volume ...
- There were so many writings before, so I was pretty prepared when the album came. Of course, the trouble was that I was put on some kind of pedestal. It was described as if I had started spreading the rumor myself. But most sadly I actually got over to even beginning to question how I looked: that I had reading glasses on the stage; that I did not look like "you should" if you are a pop singer. The best thing about the pop context is that you are fascinated by personality, which was completely uninteresting in jazz. But the backside is all analyzing whether the personalities are "genuine" and "right," she says.

Nordenstam's debut album, "Memories Of A Color", belongs to the type of plates that share the audience in two distinct parts. Those who are for and those who are against. Forget everything in between.
Vattendelaren is an American singer born in Chicago in 1954. Everyone who listened to Nordenstam and the singer in question know who it is about. Rickie Lee Jones.
If you have ever been fascinated by Jones, it is considerably difficult to completely swallow Nordenstam's current poetic pills. Calling Nordenstam's songs for Rank Xerox copies is perhaps unfair, but Tom Waits would have difficulty distinguishing between the more low-key of "Memories Of A Color" and "We Belong Together" (from "Pirates" with Jones). And then Waits has almost been married to Rickie Lee.
But despite this, Stina Nordenstam is an artist who fascinates. Has there ever been such a serious (it's praise!), Well thought-out and craftsmanship Swedish female artist? So intrusive personal. Everyone knows in the winter of 1992 that Stina Nordenstam sounds like a cat who read about Virginia Woolf. Who can resist her imagery in songs such as "The Return Of Alan Bean" (which draws similarities between the first manned moon landing and a ruined relationship!) Or "A Walk In The Park" (which is not about Stina!)? Regardless of "Memories Of A Color" it will come great works of this little singer.
- I myself had no idea that interest in Rickie Lee was so great that almost all of the country's rock journalists like her. But I certainly don't push her down. She's the best I know. She feels like a friend somewhere on the other side of the earth. It was physically difficult for me to watch her on TV, in a concert film from Paris. She seemed to feel so bad. My mother joked that I should have gone and given her my LP when she was here to give interviews. But it was a journalist (Anna Björkman on Aftonbladet) who did it instead. And I was very proud when I was told that Rickie Lee was kind ...

When Stina Nordenstam started listening to Rickie Lee four years ago, her jazz environment became half horrified.
While most of us are in the pop country, Rickie Lee Jones describes as "light jazzy" she was considered by Stina's purely jazz friends to "make any pop whale".
But Stina had found her catalyst and did not listen to the criticism.
If you press Stina further on the influences she reveals without blushing that she has listened to singers (and poets) like Joni Mitchell and Laura Nyro. And, by modern names, Suzanne Vega. But no one has put such traces as Rickie Lee.
- The others have also done good things, I think there are similarities between Mitchell and Suzanne Brögger, which I really liked, but I do not recognize myself in the same way.
Before Stina Nordenstam became a jazz girl and ended up in Southern Latin ("sovereign school!"), Adolf Fredrik ("horrible school, but certainly perfect for Carola types") and the Musical Academy were the Beatles and Bowie that applied.
- I am the one who buys everything from some artists, but I am absolutely no collector and I do not read any trade magazines, this is probably quite male.

Her jazz favorites are, perhaps a little surprising, not primarily the sadly low-key legends of Miles Davis or John Coltrane. No, before these names are mentioned she praises for a long time and well some names from the seventies:
- I love Keith Jarrett. And John Scofield, his "Blue Matter" and "Steel Worms". And Wayne Shorter. I like that big, clear "ECM sound" (ECM is the most famous label for modern jazz and is fond of sound images where you hear leaves fall - reds note). One can imagine that there is some noise in the country's SA home at these confessions. As a comfort to you, Stina may also be a little nasty:
- What I don't like? I find it difficult for hard virtuoso practice. Ulf Wakenius (blueberry-picking "super guitarist") and I do not like that at all, but you must not write ...

She usually receives the imagery from newspapers. But also from film and TV:
- I am looking for fascinating facts in popular science, documentaries, strange events.
She keeps the notes in small books. One is on the table during our conversation. When the subject is taken up, Nordenstam unfolds a fresh clip from Svenska Dagbladet from this topic. The note is about how a television viewer reported police character Henrik Bergman (played by Samuel Fröler) after he beat a boy in the TV series "The Good Will".
- What would happen if that viewer saw Arnold Schwarzenegger? she laughs.
And then recall a classic theater event: When a theater observer (the play was "Othello") in Chicago in 1909, an actor shot. The actor's crime? He had been so realistic that the spectator, an officer, believed it was the actor who sinned. That's why he just shot the actor to death, after which he shot himself.
Reality theater. The ideal player. Expect a Norden tribe text on the subject.

When we once again long and well penetrated the subject of Nordenstam contra Rickie Lee Jones, Stina came back several times to the dry statement: "That is a passed stage!"
Just as writers usually refuse to talk about unwritten books, Stina Nordenstam refuses to disclose much of her musical plans. Therefore, one can only guess that she is, after all, partly going to leave the most obvious Jones territory.
Add to this that she gladly mentions a name such as the minimalist and Eno-Polar Harold Budd and that she wants to cooperate with the Flask Quartet. Each one can puzzle with those pieces.
But I can't help but contribute another piece of the puzzle. As a late New Year's present, Stina Nordenstam receives "Little Earthquakes" (East West) with Tori Amos. A little sensual gem that shows that there is life even after Rickie Lee Jones.
Since Amo's first single came in November 1991, I have thought that Nordenstam would get it if we ever happened to.
Nordenstam himself summarizes:
- Many have difficulty with the other disc. But it is just as difficult to write a second book. The most dangerous thing is that so much shit is made that you easily risk settling for something that is good for comparison.

That she has taken another sabbatical year from "Ackis" (Muikaliska Akademin) shows that she is not going to end up in that trap.
Or has she taken time off to fix her driving license? When we meet, she comes from a lesson. But don't want to talk about which one in the order.
She lights up when I propose that she should sell her violin (she once started with that instrument but has it on the pawnshop for a year!) To be able to buy the dream car, a cream-colored Volvo 444.
The closest project also means something completely different from pop; Stina wants to make a short TV movie based on documentary images. When I ask her if she can do something about TV production, she answers:
- No, but I know several people who are doing this and have realized that they cannot.
So an artist who knows what she wants.
And that will soon do great works.

RobB
Bedroom

Re: Old interview and pic

Post by RobB »

Nice find Dave. 8-)