So it passed us by?

A place dedicated to the work of Stina Nordenstam
sound world
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by sound world »

Did it make a better sound when you threw it across the room? :D

I thought Belle and Sebastian was a kids TV prog from,ahem,the 60s :lol:
Shows how much of that kind of music I don't listen to-and why I don't, probably. :wink:

it would make an interesting thread....music we HATE :evil: :evil: :evil:
Hmmm........

zoot
Hallway

Post by zoot »

For what it's worth, Belle & Sebastian aren't ironic at all, they're completely sincere.

I should know since I've got all their albums, heh heh heh.

Kitchen

Post by * »

elizabeth wrote:I certainly recall being rather bemused and underwhelmed by the record overall, as was Duncan, but I can assure you our reactions to it as a piece of work were in no way related to the situation at CQD. I think music is probably too important to both of us to allow unconnected issues like that to influence our opinion. I clearly recall having conversations with Duncan about the album after he'd very kindly copied his promo for me, and not once as far as I can remember did the situation at CQD enter into that discussion. We both felt the record wasn't on a par with a lot of her previous work, that she was repeating herself artistically to an extent, coming up with a kind of mish-mash of things she'd done before. I seem to remember other people making the same observation at the time, so we were not alone in that perception. I also remember making positive comments about the album in Paul's lyric threads at the time, and I was quite vocal in my love for the title track, which is probably my favourite Stina song ever. The album as a whole is now a big favourite of mine, but I still don't think it's on a par with ASCHE or Dynamite or This Is. That's just a personal opinion of the work - other issues don't come into it.

I know Duncan was somewhat irritated at receiving a home-made CDR when he'd been promised an official promo of the album and waited a long time for it, and certainly we were both by that time heartily pissed off with the patronising tone of the 'enigmatic' communications from the CQD team, as were several other members, but that was a whole other conversation. To suggest otherwise is a bit presumptuous of you, I feel.
the lady doth speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth...
[tup] BAAAAAD BOY elfy! [fire] :D

but really, i really don't think i can add to elizabeth's statement. the album is certainly not bad, but somehow isn't a mould-breaking as the others. but after so many albums, is that possible?

as for the rest - also 100% correctly recalled - i would say the disappointment over the album exacerbated the disappointment / exasperation with the other issues mentioned above, not the other way around.

all a great shame really, but "that's the way the potato mashes, that's the way the stock market crashes..."

Kitchen

Post by * »

elizabeth wrote:
Elforel wrote:Ah, to be honest, it feels great to be given such long replies from Bluesy: that means both that you are doing fine and still quick to fire, and that reminds me of the good ol'days!
Would those be the good old days where I got called 'The Scalpel' every time I posted more than two sentences together?
:I :shy: sackcloth and ashes for me as the inventor of the aforementioned phrase... although it was initially meant as a compliment to elizabeth's rhetorical skills... however it got out of hand. [b)]

but that's nostalgia for ya - people forget the bad days between the good ol' ones!

anyway, 'the scalpel' is dead, long live... the blue boots? :mrgreen: or else just good old elizabeth... (ok ok, not so old, but you know what i mean!) 8)

Kitchen

Post by * »

elizabeth wrote:
Trouble is, when you're in [..such a..] state, you can't envisage a time when it will ever be different. :?
[b)] yeah, been there done that. stuff the t-shirt! [crazy]

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

zoot wrote:For what it's worth, Belle & Sebastian aren't ironic at all, they're completely sincere.

Good god. Just when I thought I couldn't hate them any more. :shock:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

parvoart wrote: BAAAAAD BOY elfy! [fire] :D
I'm thinking of making him fill in an official application for Spook's old job. :idea:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

It's nice to see young Duncan back posting again :) although I do wish he'd get rid of that silly pervofart username. I can't get use to it. :( ......I much preferred his old username.....you know the one I mean?.....the name no one could spell or pronounce. :lol:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Can you change your username on this board? People seem to be calling me Bluesy again, I might go back to that. It's been what, almost a year and a half since I changed my username? :shock: Not like me at all.

alx5962
Bedroom

Post by alx5962 »

elizabeth wrote:Can you change your username on this board? People seem to be calling me Bluesy again, I might go back to that. It's been what, almost a year and a half since I changed my username? :shock: Not like me at all.
I not allowed username change on the board but I can change it if you wish.
I believe in your smile everyday
But I know that you're far from my way
When I talk to the moon I can hear you
In the dark I can see, I can feel your light

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Thanks Alex, how about changing it to just 'blue'? That way it can stand for blue winter, bluesy and blueboots altogether. :D
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Winter BootSy would be more fun though! :wink:

alx5962
Bedroom

Post by alx5962 »

Just go to your profile and now everyone is able to change username.
Please keep in mind I will disallow it again if there's too many troubles.
I believe in your smile everyday
But I know that you're far from my way
When I talk to the moon I can hear you
In the dark I can see, I can feel your light

Kitchen

Post by * »

RobB wrote:It's nice to see young Duncan back posting again :) although I do wish he'd get rid of that silly pervofart username. I can't get used to it. :( ......I much preferred his old username.....you know the one I mean?.....the name no one could spell or pronounce. :lol:
silly? *pfff* well, actually i s'pose it is, given it's a very barely disguised anagram of arvo p?rt! but that's the name i work under now, and you know what ol' henry t. ford said about not being able to please all the people... i think is has a little more humour to it.. :wink: :mrgreen:

the old user name you're referring to is the one i have (thanks to alx's new feature) reverted to - temporarily - on the left of this post, right? :wink:

(for the new-skoolers here, it's pronounced 'kiveeock' and means 'stranger' in irish) but i'm not really a stranger anymore... go figure!

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Arvo Part,oh right I geddit...duh.[:o]
I always thought it was to do with 'Art' and 'Parvo' meaning,er,um,something in Latin.('A little',innit? or 'poor'or summat,'multum in parvo'??).So RobB's 'Pervofart' was close,LOL. Anyway it isn't what I thought.Or maybe it is? :D
Whatever welcome back Coimtho Cithmoich Cmithoi...Doc! :D