So it passed us by?

A place dedicated to the work of Stina Nordenstam
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:Any takers for 'Swallow strings'? 'Love hurts'?'Dynamite S/T mix'?
Dynamite S/T mix ? Absolutely.....that was the proof that 'Dynamite' was Stina's attempt at writing a James Bond theme. 8)

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

You should have saved that for the thread, RobB!
(I'd forgotten the JB connection.Somehow I just can't equate Stina and James Bond) :shock:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:Somehow I just can't equate Stina and James Bond) :shock:
I'm not surprised, Stina is a wig-wearing bird whereas Sean was a wig-wearing geezer. :lol:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Didn't Paul (pgss) liken 'From Cayman Islands With Love' to a James Bond-type song? I can kind of see what he means now.

Another in favour of individual song sticky threads. Maybe just start off with TWIS and see how it goes?

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

elizabeth wrote:Didn't Paul (pgss) liken 'From Cayman Islands With Love' to a James Bond-type song? I can kind of see what he means now.
Yes, I'm the one to brought that thought up!

And I'm in for a discussion about the songs.
I should also look at the album battles. Those need to be updated. Time flies.

Elforel
Living room
Location: Somewhere between the ground and the sky (Beijing, China)

Post by Elforel »

Well, I remember being very disapointed when TWIS came out. Not of the album because I remember loving it very much from the very start.
No, i was disapointed with many members-from whom Bluesy and Duncan, who got to hear the 'promo'- being quite disapointed with album, and I somehow suspected that some opinions were not really based on the album quality, but rather on the bad ending of CQD, sad stories about the book and about the single CD-r version of the so-awaited promo.
I really believe this album is one of the best she's ever done, so terribly moving and often approaching perfection.
No pathos, not boring but oh so touching.

And there HAS BEEN some talk about it, but unfortunately all mixed up with the resentment at V and CQD...
Blog:blog.foukography.com
"Mieux vaudrait apprendre a faire l'amour correctement plut?t que s'abrutir sur un livre d'histoire." B.Vian

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Elforel wrote: No, i was disapointed with many members-from whom Bluesy and Duncan, who got to hear the 'promo'- being quite disappointed with album, and I somehow suspected that some opinions were not really based on the album quality, but rather on the bad ending of CQD, sad stories about the book and about the single CD-r version of the so-awaited promo.
Now hold on a minute, Elfy - I think that's a bit of an assumption on your part, isn't it? Not a particularly fair one either, to myself or Duncan. I certainly recall being rather bemused and underwhelmed by the record overall, as was Duncan, but I can assure you our reactions to it as a piece of work were in no way related to the situation at CQD. I think music is probably too important to both of us to allow unconnected issues like that to influence our opinion. I clearly recall having conversations with Duncan about the album after he'd very kindly copied his promo for me, and not once as far as I can remember did the situation at CQD enter into that discussion. We both felt the record wasn't on a par with a lot of her previous work, that she was repeating herself artistically to an extent, coming up with a kind of mish-mash of things she'd done before. I seem to remember other people making the same observation at the time, so we were not alone in that perception. I also remember making positive comments about the album in Paul's lyric threads at the time, and I was quite vocal in my love for the title track, which is probably my favourite Stina song ever. The album as a whole is now a big favourite of mine, but I still don't think it's on a par with ASCHE or Dynamite or This Is. That's just a personal opinion of the work - other issues don't come into it.

I know Duncan was somewhat irritated at receiving a home-made CDR when he'd been promised an official promo of the album and waited a long time for it, and certainly we were both by that time heartily pissed off with the patronising tone of the 'enigmatic' communications from the CQD team, as were several other members, but that was a whole other conversation. To suggest otherwise is a bit presumptuous of you, I feel.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

It all seems a long time ago now...but also let's remember that the album came out (finally) a little while before CQD ground to a halt (Feb 2005).When it came out we were being promised a site makeover (as opposed to a site clearance :D )
Anyway we can all reflect on TWIS again from the vantage point of a year and a half :O down the line,once Alex has sorted out his HTML. ^

Elforel
Living room
Location: Somewhere between the ground and the sky (Beijing, China)

Post by Elforel »

Ah, to be honest, it feels great to be given such long replies from Bluesy: that means both that you are doing fine and still quick to fire, and that reminds me of the good ol'days!
Well, i reflected quite a bit before posting the line about you and Duncan -who are both persons I respect dearly- and then decided that it could lead to some fire and excitment so decided to leave it.
To be truer and clearer in my statement, I should say that the talk about the album had been very clouded by all the mixed feelings we had at the time, both on CQD's demise, the lack of communication about the book that was based on the album's titles, and about the so long awaited promos we had won that had ended being some cheap cdr's with a photocopy of the cover.
So actually, MY OWN PERCEPTION of that talk was slightly biased by the whole situation. I don't doubt Duncan nor your objectivity.
These times were really quite hard and dark for many of us (except for Franck if my memory is correct :D ) and i don't have a very good memory of that period. Too many bad things happened both in my personal life and the crumbling of CQD made everything quite sad.
Blog:blog.foukography.com
"Mieux vaudrait apprendre a faire l'amour correctement plut?t que s'abrutir sur un livre d'histoire." B.Vian

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

sound world wrote:It all seems a long time ago now...but also let's remember that the album came out (finally) a little while before CQD ground to a halt (Feb 2005).When it came out we were being promised a site makeover (as opposed to a site clearance :D )
Exactly, yes. At the time of the album's release, I don't think any of us were expecting the site to be gone within a matter of months.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Elforel wrote:Ah, to be honest, it feels great to be given such long replies from Bluesy: that means both that you are doing fine and still quick to fire, and that reminds me of the good ol'days!
Would those be the good old days where I got called 'The Scalpel' every time I posted more than two sentences together? How times change. :wink:
elforel wrote:Well, i reflected quite a bit before posting the line about you and Duncan -who are both persons I respect dearly- and then decided that it could lead to some fire and excitment so decided to leave it.
Poking me with a stick to see if I'll bite, in other words. Well, I suppose we need someone to do that now Spook isn't around. :D

Don't worry Elfy, I didn't infer any lack of respect in your post, I just thought you were wrong and being a bit unfair and as is my wont, I said so. I don't bite much these days, you know. :wink:

elforel wrote:So actually, MY OWN PERCEPTION of that talk was slightly biased by the whole situation. I don't doubt Duncan nor your objectivity.
Fair enough.
elforel wrote:These times were really quite hard and dark for many of us .... and i don't have a very good memory of that period.
Yes, it was a rather dark time toward the end of that board. I know I was feeling pretty shell-shocked by some of the attitudes revealed in discussions both public and private, and very disillusioned about some people I'd thought so highly of. I wasn't sure if I actually wanted to stick around anymore. But we live and learn. Despite everything, we seem to come back together in this little group, don't we?

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

I spent a lot of last night combing through old caches of CQD posts on Google,trying to find any threads about the album.It's very odd,all of those have disappeared,at least as far as Google's spiders are concerned :O
although I'm sure that a CD or two with them on is lurking at CQD Towers.Perhaps they'll appear on eBay someday.:twisted:
Meanwhile I had a great time laughing my head off at threads about RobB's frogs,RobB's Daily Mirror threads,some of Doc's flights of fancy,ridiculous ironic technicalities by x31eq,considerable amounts of individuals who 'MUST DIE',lots of stupid jokes and much else besides :D

Nice to know that several of us are still here and up for a laugh (and an argument or two) :wink: :D

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

sound world wrote: considerable amounts of individuals who 'MUST DIE'
Happy days. :D

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

...although Google wasn't fast enough to catch all the posts before some of them...erm...mysteriously vanished :wink: (which makes following the thread (sic),er,interesting). :? :D

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

sound world wrote:...although Google wasn't fast enough to catch all the posts before some of them...erm...mysteriously vanished :wink: (which makes following the thread (sic),er,interesting). :? :D
I so wish I hadn't deleted all my posts now, what a sad state I must have been in to do that. Trouble is, when you're in that state, you can't envisage a time when it will ever be different. :?

If I remember rightly, the whole ' ..... MUST DIE' thing started with a rant of mine about Belle and Sebastian, that awful twee aren't-we-ironic band who some poor soul had tried to get me to listen to. Very, very few times in my life have I heard music that makes me want to physically throw the stereo across the room, but that lot achieved it. The only suitable punishment for them as far as I was concerned was execution. :D