Stina interview (Aftenposten Aften/ Oslopuls) Norw.

A place dedicated to the work of Stina Nordenstam
kuhn
Bedroom

Stina interview (Aftenposten Aften/ Oslopuls) Norw.

Post by kuhn »

ENGLISH VERSION:

Here it is: Please forgive and do report any errors.

---

Stina Nordenstam is a successful Swedish artist, but she prefers anonymity. Her energy and impatience are her strengths.

She has made an album that is about catastrophes and a collapsing world. Stina Nordenstam named the record? The World Is Saved?. By that she is of course referring to the time after the catastrophe. Since her 1991 debut 'Memories Of A Color', Stina has become internationally renowned. This even though her private life is kept low key. The records speak for themselves. She had a difficult start on her life, and this has affected her relationship to the public ever since.

Claustrophobia.

Q - How is it possible to protect your privacy when you're an artist?

- It has to do with the shock I experienced when I started. It's difficult to see yourself clearly. I didn't pay enough attention to what I did back then. It wasn't fake though it wasn't exactly what I wanted it to be. It is dangerous to limit a person's freedom - It gives me a sense of claustrophobia. That's why I despise television and wear a wig, she says on the phone from Stockholm.

Q - Are you a vulnerable person?

Yes, I guess so. I'm quite galled and do not have a lot of defence.

Dream interpretation

Q - How does this affect how you write your tunes?

- I?m not conscious when I write. I'm not aware of what I?m doing. The consciousness is far behind the process itself. It's like dream interpretation. A linkage between the self biographical and fantasy.

Q - What inspires you?

- Not much. It's more of a introspective gaze of a process. Some things are intensified, while other things are not there. The lyrics and the melody often come at the same time, and then I fine tune it afterwards.

Q - Are you a melodramatic person?

- Yes, [It is a] strong attraction in that direction. When I grew up and release the first record, I was plagued with depression. In the beginning, I found comfort in my voice, even though I really did not like it. listened a lot to my records after I had been to the studio. The voice was put into the front of the mix. Self comfort is something strong and at the same time sad. I do not listed to my own records today. I'm less insecure. Today I feel impatience.

Q - What to do you do expect making music?

- When I was young I read books, but now I watch more movies and DVDs. However, Swedish films are something I have difficulties with. I watch every thriller, big American movies, Korean and Japanese movies, though not niche. That's more of a compliment. Otherwise, I'm really nearsighted, and prefer to live in the Present. My attention only lasts for a day's time. I've hard to look back and see the economical and political aspects of things.

Q - Is that a problem?

- I feel like I'm behind, and have no time for reflection. I've been busy with my absolute closeness. I'm a impatient and active person. I can start watching a movie, but one hour into the film I get impatient and want to do something else. A problem? No. That's life.
Last edited by kuhn on Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

daniel
Living room

Post by daniel »

I kinda understand it ... seems good.
Are you norwegian!!! I had no idea.

I'm swedish.

wirbel
Bathroom

Post by wirbel »

good thing i can read norwegian quite well :) jei elsker norge! hehe

kuhn
Bedroom

Post by kuhn »

daniel wrote:I kinda understand it ... seems good.
Are you norwegian!!! I had no idea.

I'm swedish.
Ja, I'm Norwegian.

The interview is done by phone and is also quite short.

This is in my opinion the most noteworthy Q&A:

"Q: How is it possible to protect your privacy when you're an artist?

- It has to do with the shock I experienced when I started. It's difficult to see yourself clearly. I didn't pay enough attention to what I did back then. It wasn't fake though it wasn't exactly what I wanted it to be. It is dangerous to limit a person's freedom - It gives me a sense of claustrophobia. That's why I despise television and wear a wig.

sound world
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by sound world »

Kuhn,would you be so good as to do a translation to English for those of us (me) who will never learn Norwegian? [angel] pretty please!!
PS when is the interview from?

kuhn
Bedroom

Post by kuhn »

sound world wrote:Kuhn,would you be so good as to do a translation to English for those of us (me) who will never learn Norwegian? [angel] pretty please!!
PS when is the interview from?
I'll see if I get to do it by the weekend. It's a quite interesting little interview.

No reason to learn Norwegian. We are too few and never speak to one another unless we have to. [:xx]

wirbel
Bathroom

Post by wirbel »

the introduction to the interview:
Swedish Stina Nordenstam is a succesful international artist, but seeks to be anonymous. Energy and restlessness are her strenghts.

well, i'll leave the rest to you Kuhn ;) i'm learning norwegian myself, cause it's a great language and i love the country; and we Frisians are pretty much like norwegians... I think it's cool that all germanic languages have so much in common, so that can understand most languages now :)

kuhn
Bedroom

Post by kuhn »

wirbel wrote:the introduction to the interview:
Swedish Stina Nordenstam is a succesful international artist, but seeks to be anonymous. Energy and restlessness are her strenghts.

well, i'll leave the rest to you Kuhn ;) i'm learning norwegian myself, cause it's a great language and i love the country; and we Frisians are pretty much like norwegians... I think it's cool that all germanic languages have so much in common, so that can understand most languages now :)
Actually, Norwegian is two languages.

Dano-Norwegian - definition from wn
Dano-Norwegian
n : one of two official languages of Norway; closely related to
Danish [syn: Bokm?l, Dano-Norwegian, Riksm?l]

nynorsk - definition from wn
Nynorsk
n : one of two official languages of Norway; based on rural
dialects [syn: New Norwegian, Landsm?l, Nynorsk]

The first one, the one used in the above text, should be not too hard to understand from someone from Germany or Holland.

But my mother tongue is different, it's a mix of old-Norse, Dano-Norwegian, dialects and a bit of late-1800 interpretation done by the person that constructed the language.

Ignorant people from the capital sometimes pretend not to understand what I am saying, as it it really is that hard.

wirbel
Bathroom

Post by wirbel »

that's interesting Kuhn; i speak Frisian myself and even that small language is divided into dialects and different kinds of Frisian; East Frisian is still quite close to (west)-Frisian (the main language) but North Frisian (spoken next to Denmark) is so different that we can hardly understand it... Language is very difficult but that makes it so interesting too.

kuhn
Bedroom

Post by kuhn »

wirbel wrote:that's interesting Kuhn; i speak Frisian myself and even that small language is divided into dialects and different kinds of Frisian; East Frisian is still quite close to (west)-Frisian (the main language) but North Frisian (spoken next to Denmark) is so different that we can hardly understand it... Language is very difficult but that makes it so interesting too.
Actually, I have never heard about the Frisian languages. [b)]

Google gave me this:

http://www.eurolang.net/Languages/Frisian.htm

puce
Living room

Post by puce »

What kind of Norwegian speak Kings of Convenience? Bokmal or Nynorsk? I guess the first 'cause they're from a big city, Bergen and nynorsk is more spoken in the countryside?

wirbel
Bathroom

Post by wirbel »

that's a good link for some basic information. Did you know that the Frisians originally came from the north, probably Norway? hehe, well that's a story of course, but i think it's cool, cause I like to think we're kind of scandinavian as well ;)

Friesland used to be a big country in the early middle ages; it ran from Denmark all the way along the north sea coast to Belgium. Until 1500 it was and independent state that consisted of 7 sea lands. After that it has been split up between Germany and Netherlands, so we're pretty much divided...
but not for long... [pirate]

Kitchen

Post by * »

the town where i live (which contrary to appearances is on the german baltic sea coast) belonged to sweden for about 300 years. [tup] i'd like to start a political party looking for reunification, the benefits would be enormous. but it ain't gonna happen! [crazy]

kuhn
Bedroom

Post by kuhn »

puce wrote:What kind of Norwegian speak Kings of Convenience? Bokmal or Nynorsk? I guess the first 'cause they're from a big city, Bergen and nynorsk is more spoken in the countryside?
You're right, most people in Bergen write Bokm?l and speak something similar to that. I don't what the two KoC members sound like, they may speak differently.

puce
Living room

Post by puce »

kuhn wrote:
You're right, most people in Bergen write Bokm?l and speak something similar to that. I don't what the two KoC members sound like, they may speak differently.
Here's a little gig they played for someone who won a contest to have them play to his home. It's in Oslo and they speak Norwegian between the songs.
http://straumod.nrk.no/root02/Petre/200 ... 093645.wmv