Re: The Tori Thread

Post by RobB »

I thought it was Tori in the poster? :mrgreen:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

She wishes! No amount of photoshopping could make her look like that. :mrgreen:

The actress is called Rosalie Craig, she's a very good musical theatre actress apparently. There's some serious talent involved in The Light Princess, from National Theatre boss Nicholas Hytner to playwright Samuel Adamson and director Marianne Elliott, not to mention top production designers. I think it will be interesting at the very least.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

pgss
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by pgss »

Beth, I didn't enjoy last Tori albums. I guess that after the release of the underwhelming The Beekeeper, I lost track of her. But her last album is really a return to form. I'm listening to it a lot. What do you think of the album? I'm really curious! :mrgreen:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

pgss wrote:Beth, I didn't enjoy last Tori albums. I guess that after the release of the underwhelming The Beekeeper, I lost track of her. But her last album is really a return to form. I'm listening to it a lot. What do you think of the album? I'm really curious! :mrgreen:
Well hello again, Tori thread! :-D

That would have been Unrepentant Geraldines, Paul? I loved the majority of that album and still do. The three main solo piano songs - Weatherman, Selkie and Oysters - went straight into my personal pantheon of beloved Tori tracks. 'Oysters' in particular hit me very hard at the time, I remember literally just bawling to that one repeatedly. It can still make me teary now.

For me Tori really sort of came back with Midwinter Graces, I knew then she was finding her way back to herself again. I loved that album, and Night of Hunters - I'd wished for years she would do a chamber music record, so NOH is heaven for me. I find when I put it on I have to listen all the way through from beginning to end, same as with Pele and Scarlet.

The latest album Native Invader again had some stunning songs on it that for me are as good as anything she has ever done - Reindeer King is a bona fide Tori gem, like in ye olde days. I adore Breakaway as well, very old school Tori to me. Of the more 'band' songs, I love Wildwood, Bats, Wings, Cloud Riders and Up The Creek. It's a really solid album, the only clunker for me is Chocolate Song, because of that stupid chorus (a total Fori moment!)
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...