The Tori Thread

New bands are welcome
blue
Bedroom

Re: The Tori Thread

Post by blue »

Nothing new to report, just came across this video from her show at Bonnaroo back in the summer and wanted to post it, cos it's everything I love about this woman:

That's Tori, not Fori. The energy, the connection with the song and the audience, the playing. She doesn't give a shit what she looks like - her hair is all over the place, she's sweating, and it doesn't matter a bit. It's performances like this that give me hope she's still in there and getting ready to be herself again. She's so adorable in this clip it makes me forget all the bad stuff from the last decade.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Apparently Tori is in Ireland right now shooting the cover art for a new album, so presumably the release of said album will come this year at some point. Rumours are that it involves the Metropole Orchestra. I'm so hoping it might be the reworked orchestral versions of older songs, in particular there needs to be a studio recording of the Precious Things arrangement she did with the Metropole, it was just wonderful. ^

I'm just praying she doesn't continue with the RealDoll/Glamazombie look for the new artwork. :wink:

This song just never, ever gets old for me. It was like a bomb going off in my psyche when I first heard it in my early 20s, and the message remains as powerful for me now.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Oh god, apparently the designers she's working with on this new shoot are purveyors of bondage/S+M gear. :D :D :D

Well I guess we can rule out a return to a more natural look in the artwork for the new album, then. I think I'm actually just going to avoid all the publicity/interviews/promo pics for this project, and the hand-wringing on the forums, and just listen to the album when it comes out. Old-skool stylee.

The album is seemingly listed to come out on the Decca label (which is a subsidiary of Universal Music Group, the company with whom Tori currently has a distribution deal) on September 20th. Given that Decca is largely a classical music label, it gives credence to the theory that the Metropole Orchestra are involved. Decca released the album they made with Elvis Costello some years ago.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

I was truly intending to avoid all the new promo, but this caught me by surprise - the first new pic, now heading up the official website:
Attachments
2011.jpg
2011.jpg (171.67 KiB) Viewed 6765 times

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

I kind of love it! Given I was fearing a bondage gear fiasco, it's quite a relief. :D

Shame about the lack of expression in her face (again), but I love the darker hair and the clothes and the setting. ^

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Holy hell! The album press release went out overnight, the album is coming out on DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON!! :shock:

I know most of you here aren't classical music fans so forgive my excitement, but the idea that Tori has made a record for DG is just amazing and awesome to me. The album is called 'Night of Hunters' and is a contemporary song-cycle of what sounds like variations. Given how beautifully she melded her own new music/lyrics with previously existing musical themes on Midwinter Graces, I AM EXCITED!!!

OK, I know, I have to calm down. :D

Here's the press release:

http://undented.com/news/2343/night-of- ... um-details

RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by RobB »

The promo piccie reminds me of the China video.

The new album title sounds clumsy.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

I've hated every single one of Tori's album titles except Scarlet's Walk, so no news there! Her titles are invariably clumsy, I expect nothing less now. But it's the music that matters.

Lots of people making the China connection on the Tori boards as well Rob, really it's just lovely to see her in a natural setting for what seems like the first time in absolutely ages. SO glad it wasn't the kind of thing I was dreading when I heard about the designers she was working with on the photo shoot.

I'm just flabbergasted that the record is coming out on Deutsche Grammophon. This is a serious classical music label with a 100 year history of recording the best musicians in the world. It's a very prestigious thing for her indeed, and an indication that this is certainly not going to be a pop/rock record at all. She did say that in an interview a few months back, but I think we're so used to her spouting rubbish that nobody really paid attention.*

Well, I am honestly very excited, especially as I loved Midwinter Graces with its more classical approach on most of the tracks. The description of the premise in the press release also has a ghost of Boys For Pele about it as well, another record where her classical training was very evident.

Gosh. This is the best news. My hearing better be back to normal by September.

* This is what she said about the project back in July last year:

"I've been approached to a do a really different kind of project, it's not announced yet...something fascinating. I've been approached and I've never done something quite exactly like this. And so it's high concept...very concept-oriented. It's not a traditional contemporary pop record." She says this will likely be her next project, before another traditional album. "This little something..it's very different, it's not pop-driven and that's why I'm fascinated. Sometimes as a composer and a pianist, pop structures can very confining, especially after working on the musical. So fingers crossed that it happens."

She also talked more recently about how she was spending a lot of time playing piano at home, and that Natashya didn't like what she was playing because it wasn't pop. :D

aermancer
Bathroom

Post by aermancer »

I'm not sure, but it seems as if she's had plastic surgery to transform her face even further, I doubt even an extreme photoshop makeover could make her look this different.

She actually looks rather pretty, I think.
...I'd love to see the before-photoshop photo though. :mrgreen:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

As with all women, its more interesting and revealing to see what they look like first thing in the morning when they first wake up! :mrgreen:
And i bet Tori dioesn't look anything like that first thing in the morning.

aermancer
Bathroom

Post by aermancer »

I reckon she looks something a little more like this
650168605_f323d93804_o.jpg
650168605_f323d93804_o.jpg (68.36 KiB) Viewed 6733 times

aermancer
Bathroom

Post by aermancer »

Either she's had more plastic surgery or there is a photoshop artist out there who'll never have to work again. Look at how different she looks!

3 years ago:
3821931340_0e05aba787.jpg
3821931340_0e05aba787.jpg (126.23 KiB) Viewed 6733 times

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

That upper photo was just unfortunate....bet she wasn't happy to see that one.
Byt yes, she certainly looks different and it can't all be attributed to make-up.
I reckon she's had more botox than Simon Cowell. :mrgreen:

Anyway, whatever she looks like,its the music that counts and hopefully its a return to the quality of her early-mid nineties output.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

The cover is blah - not as hideously bizarre as the last two albums for sure, but not very interesting. I don't think she's had more surgery Aermancer, there are candids of her within the last few months looking pretty much .... how she's looked in real life for the last few years. I think it's just more needless airbrushing/photoshop.

I am so thrilled by the news that it is indeed the chamber music record I've been hoping she would make, just her piano, a string quartet, clarinet, oboe, bassoon and flute. OH MY GOD. *dies*

I know nobody else here gives a ****, but I honestly am so stupidly excited. :D :D :D

Tracklist:

1. Shattering Sea
2. Snowblind
3. Battle Of Trees
4. Fearlessness
5. Cactus Practice
6. Star Whisperer
7. Job's Coffin
8. Nautical Twilight
9. Your Ghost
10. Edge Of The Moon
11. The Chase
12. Night Of Hunters
13. Seven Sisters
14. Carry

First thoughts - 14 tracks not 244 as per the last few records, all the titles sound fairly cohesive in terms of theme, typical WTF Tori in Cactus Practice (?!!). Night, ghosts, moon, trees, snow, a hunt .... yep, I'll take it. ^

And NO HUSBAND. Observe, people - in a record whose theme is a 'woman in the dying embers of a relationship' who is undergoing an essential 'transformation' .... NO HUSBAND. Just sayin'.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Forgot to add the other bit of info I'm over the moon about, the Deutsche Grammophon release book for 2011 which contains the info about Night of Hunters also states there will be a release in 2012 of back catalogue songs 'with strings'. This sounds very much like those orchestral reworkings she was rumoured to have done with the Metropole back at the beginning of this year. Hopefully including that wonderful Precious Things! ^

Sigh. All my Tori dreams are coming true. Well, except the one where she employs me as her Creative Advisor. :wink: