Heartbreaking Music Related Breakages!!!!!!!

New bands are welcome
d.a.walker
Bathroom

Heartbreaking Music Related Breakages!!!!!!!

Post by d.a.walker »

I came to play my beloved copy of Boards Of Canada's The Campfire Headphase, only to discover horribly that the CD was completely cracked from the centre out to the middle of the disc.

I tell you that really pissed on my strawberries!!!!

:(
I dreamed of 747's, over geometric farms...

RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Re: Heartbreaking Music Related Breakages!!!!!!!

Post by RobB »

Do you know how that happened?
I guess if it was in its case It must have received a sharp knock at some point but the damage sounds unusual.
I would have thought to make a cd split like that you would have to nearly bend it in half.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Yes,they were supposed to be indestructible,weren't they? :roll:
But it shouldn't be that hard to get another copy.
I collect 78s in some areas of music,and they are ridiculously fragile,and depending on the record,can be as rare as hen's teeth (and consequently more valuable than you'd think).I have dropped a few in my time...never to be seen again in one or two instances.
The other thing that's a bummer these days is when a hard drive fries on you.I diligently backed up a lot of stuff,including music on a HD (to protect it,natch),only for the HD itself to bork.I spent about £50 on a bit of software to try and recover the damaged files,about half of which I got back; the rest lost.Who can you trust?

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

78s! Whats that? [angel] :mrgreen:

Ok,I have got a 78......... somewhere. Havn't seen it for years though and can't remember who the artist is but i remember its about the railway that runs through the middle of the house. 8) :mrgreen:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

I was prowling the charity shops last Friday and came upon a little stack of 78s in a corner of the British Heart Foundation store. Curious looking things.

I tell you what, out of the various formats that have been around in my lifetime - vinyl, tapes, CDs, hard drives - the only one that's been 100% reliable is MINIDISC. Which is now all but obsolete. I never understood why it didn't take off with the masses, it's a brilliant format. I'm still using and re-using discs I bought years ago. I've dropped them, dunked them in water, spilled nail polish on them and a myriad other catastrophes, and they come up trumps every single time. They are fab, and I wish you could still buy blanks on the high street.

Dave, I know you're still using MD ... do you know anywhere that still sells blanks? :?:
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Really? you can't get blanks? Jesus. I've got a little stack of blanks,and I have a HiMD which means you can (theoretically at any rate) record about 48 hours of music on one disc (for Chrissake,as if anyone really wants to) so I haven't been in the market for them of late.I buy most everything online these days,there must be somewhere selling them? As for the high street,every time I go near it,the likes of Curry's seem to have gone under...
You're right ,Beth,MDs are reliable(though I've had two machines fuck up on me),and I tell you what,the people who DO use them are musicians. When I'm teaching one of my song arrangements,there's usually a cluster of MDs pointed at me.In respect of recording 'in the field' they have supplanted cassettes; and they're also INCREDIBLY useful for recording sounds straight off a computer that you can't otherwise DL.For instance,I'm just off to a meeting on Friday where we're choosing songs to perform with kids with LD,so I have an MD full of stuff like 'Smoke on the water','Bridge over troubled water','Blowing in the wind','Earth song' ,'Light my fire',(guess what our theme is this year)-stuff that I am so NOT going to pay to download :mrgreen: which I can happily erase from my MD when all is done and dusted.

Meanwhile,RobB, that 78 about the railway through the middle of the house (what a dumb concept for a song) is one of those priceless Alma Cogan singles from the hapless 50s. Poor Alma had the misfortune to be a kind of safe,anodyne popstar for the post-war no-Feminism-for-miles ideal housewifey,and had to sing streams of crap about baby's dimples and so on.Perhaps if you find it again,you should have a listen-at the end of the song,the implication is that Alma (and family) get flattened by the Union Pacific or whatever it is.Very silly.
(I know this because when Robin was a toddler we had a 'Children's Favourites' CD with songs about families getting flattened by trains. :wink: )

d.a.walker
Bathroom

Post by d.a.walker »

Well I think it might be down to a day we had earlier this month where the temperature soared to 46.3 degrees. I'm wondering if I left this CD in the kitchen that day as I quite often listen to music while doing dishes etc (I'm a domestic goddess!!!! woooo). I could imagine that the heat would have cooked the poor old Campfire too much :(

What is upsetting for me is that Warp Records distribution in Australia is terrible. Anything over a couple of years old just vanishes from the shelves. So replacing it will be a major chore.

Luckily my sister and mother are good at getting me Warp stuff so fingers crossed!!
I dreamed of 747's, over geometric farms...

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Daniel,
Amazon are selling the 'The Campfire Headphase' cd for £6.98 and there are three copies on eBay.
Maybe they might be a quicker way of securing a replacement copy.

46.3 degrees (especially if the cd was in direct sunlight) I guess would have warped and split your cd.

Dave,
its funny how memory can play tricks. Although I havn't heard the 'Railway' song for many years, I would have been almost certain that it was sung by a guy.

Another old 78 that I had once (may still have?) was about a mouse in old Amsterdam. I remember my uncle playing me these songs in the very early 1960's (they are amongst my earliest memories) and I'm pretty sure thats where the 78's came from.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

...Warp Records,lol.How ironic.
I listen to music washing up as well,Daniel ! (no dishwasher here) but I use my iPod on Shuffle so I don't have to keep changing the CDs to get lots of variety (washing up after my messy family takes average 3/4 of an hour ).

Meanwhile,RobB-well,your 78 could have been a bloke,since back then the same song was often recorded by lots of artists simultaneously.
And now,altogether:-
'I saw a mouse
Where
There on the stair
Where on the stair
Right there!
A little mouse with clogs on
Well I declare
Going clip-clippety clop on the stair!'

Classic. :lol:

aftersea
Hallway

Post by aftersea »

blue wrote:I never understood why it didn't take off with the masses, it's a brilliant format. I'm still using and re-using discs I bought years ago. I've dropped them, dunked them in water, spilled nail polish on them and a myriad other catastrophes, and they come up trumps every single time. They are fab, and I wish you could still buy blanks on the high street.

Dave, I know you're still using MD ... do you know anywhere that still sells blanks? :?:

minidisc was a successful format a few years ago and it's still quite massively used in japan! and in europe, the peak was reached in late 90s/00s.
in 2000/2002 , i was still in high school and a lot of my friends were using MDs back then, but what i remember as well is that it was a bloody
expensive machine! more than 2000 Francs at that time, i just couldn't afford one! so it could have been even more successful...i was told there were around 80 000 000 units built!

the Mic input/ digital recording in such a tiny machine was remarkable at that time! and that's why many musicians have owned one of these units. all radiohead members, conor oberst, julie doiron...and stina on PAS maybe? (sailing and love hurts/ field recordings)

HiMD was a good idea! PCM recording, 1Go space on each disc...but too late! mp3 players were already around, cheaper, easier to use...etc...
on the other hand, the restrictive sonicstage. it wasn't until 2008 that sony dropped it all(atrac/sonicstage)! at last!

anyway, i got a used one a few years ago, i love it! the sound quality is impressive for such a little machine, and recording a concert couldn't be easier!
but now, you have those killer items like zoom H4, sony pcm D1...

concerning blanks, you can buy them for really cheap on ebay!plus, the last blanks produced are beautiful, especially the TDK ones! [bday]

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Classics both. 8)

'In The Middle Of The House'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHiknLGjOZo

&

'Windmill IN Old Amsterdam (I saw A Mouse')
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fg7w49UnGA

Actually,I think Stina should do a cover version of 'In The Middle Of The House' since she's so keen on trains and stations? :lol:

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Ah yes,ATRAC and Sonicstage. Bloody Sony.My partner bought me my Hi-MD,one of the reasons being for rapid DLing of multiple tracks from the computer.
Only of course,Sony didn't support this on a Mac; eventually they produced a compromise,but :evil:
eBay,of course.Maybe I should buy a stash to keep me going.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

[quote="RobB"]Classics both. 8)

'In The Middle Of The House'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHiknLGjOZo

See what I mean about the last bit? lol

Here's Alma's version-and you can watch the 78 going round,for those of you who have never experienced it!

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:See what I mean about the last bit? lol
yeah,silly...but clever. :mrgreen:

I'm now feeling rather queasy having watched Nipper rotate like that for over 160 times. :mrgreen:

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Sick as a dog?