Jocelyn Pook

New bands are welcome
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Jocelyn Pook

Post by RobB »

Jocelyn Pook is one of my favourite contemporary composers and i've recently been actively supporting a new message board devoted to Jocelyn and her work.

http://jocelynpookforum.proboards.com/index.cgi

RobB
Bedroom

Re: Jocelyn Pook

Post by RobB »

Over recent months Jocelyn has been making available her music (otherwise unavailable commercially) on Soundcloud 8) .........the long form piece Portraits in Absentia has been a long time favourite of mine, here is an extract from it entitled, 'Arsenal'.

https://soundcloud.com/jocelyn-pook-off ... n-absentia

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Oh, that piece is a long favourite of mine too, I think it's brilliant (and in these days of mobile phones, virtually impossible to replicate). Must have taken her ages to put it all together. I can never see Patrick Viera on TV being a pundit on some footy programme without thinking of that 'Vi-era' section, which she makes into something magnificent.
Thanks for the link, RobB, I've had a very lo-fi version of 'Portraits' for years that I taped off the radio, and now I can finally upgrade it!

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

...except that it's only bleeding chunks of the whole piece, alas. The whole thing is over 21' long. :cry:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

I have the piece on tape too and I've often wondered who / where I got it from........now I know. :mrgreen:

Yeah, its frustrating that its in chunks......and not all the chunks either. :(

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

I'm off to see the Jocelyn Pook Ensemble in live performance this coming Sunday at the Bury St Edmunds festival.

.........and she'll be performing ''Arsenal' among many other pieces. 8)

(update)
The concert was excellent and my front row was so close to the stage I couldn't even stretch my legs out. :D