Rate Your Music

New bands are welcome
d.a.walker
Bathroom

Rate Your Music

Post by d.a.walker »

I absolutely love this site, I registered nearly 2 years ago and have created the most useful pages ever:

http://rateyourmusic.com/~badseed666

That's my page with most of every CD I own on it (still a good few not added tho) and I'm now in the process of adding all my DVDs too (there are sooooo many!).

It's very addictive once you start, but it's brilliant for finding out discography information, especially when you are a real completist like me!
I dreamed of 747's, over geometric farms...

RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Re: Rate Your Music

Post by RobB »

I'm a frequent visitor to RYM (especially when checking out the popularity of artists / albums i've just discovered) but i must admit i seldom make any contribution as far as rating or listing albums etc are concerned. :(

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Looks interesting. I read a couple of reviews,which got beyond the usual Neanderthal bigot pronouncements.
Trouble is,I couldn't figure out how to get involved. The front page is very cool,I suppose, but gives you no idea what to do prior to registering,or even what the site is about. Maybe I'm old-fashioned.Or old.
OK I'm old AND old-fashioned. :wink:

Oh and I loved the pictures you put with your Top 10 Lists,Daniel!

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

The site is certainly useful as a general guide to music.

Sure there will be the usual obsessed fans who will automatically rate all their favourite artists releases with a top rated 5.0

and there will be the usual grumps who will rate popular artists albums 0.0 just to be contrary.

But given how popular the site is,the extremist ratings are in the minority so what actually emerges is generally a fair, well balanced rating system for each artist.

Stina's album ratings (out of 5.0 ) are in order of popularity:

1. And She Closed Her Eyes 3.85
2. The World Is Saved 3.78
3. Dynamite 3.73
4. This Is Stina Nordenstam 3.65
5. People Are Strange 3.58
6. Memories Of A Color 3.56

Putting aside my personal preference that 'This Is .....' is Stina's best album and wearing my neutral hat, I concede that the order is above is probably a fair and accurate one.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Interesting that only .3 of a point separates them all (if my woeful maths is correct).But then points are meaningless. I'm more interested in what people have to say,whether they can articulate their pros/antis.
(Meanwhile it's perfectly understandable that it's in that order because,as a rule, people are frightened of experimentalism (PAS) and jazz (MOAC).)

I really liked that review of 'What's Goin' On',for instance,even if you don't know the album (it's a favourite of mine,as it happens).The reviewer puts the case for both sides (yes,it is full of the most vapid kind of Jesus-stuff,there's a couple of moments where you would puke if you weren't caught up in the testifyin' feelin'-but the music and honesty of intent are fabulous) and makes a general point about what ol' Marvin was saying and how relevant it is to today.Which it is.

RobB,tell me what I'm supposed to do with that front page!

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:RobB,tell me what I'm supposed to do with that front page!
I'm automatically logged in when i visit the site so i'm not sure if we see exactly the same home page.
But if you scroll right down to the bottom of the page, there should a horizontal menu. If you click on FAQ then that should bring up all the answers to your questions.

Re: Stina album ratings, as you say, the ratings are very close together. In fact i can't recall another artist with half a dozen albums on RYM where each album attracts the same level of popularity.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

RobB wrote:
Stina's album ratings (out of 5.0 ) are in order of popularity:

1. And She Closed Her Eyes 3.85
2. The World Is Saved 3.78
3. Dynamite 3.73
4. This Is Stina Nordenstam 3.65
5. People Are Strange 3.58
6. Memories Of A Color 3.56
Seven years, a couple of weeks....and a day or so on......... :mrgreen:

The ratings as of 12th December 2016:

1. The World Is Saved 3.67
2. And She Closed Her Eyes 3.66
3. Dynamite 3.61
4. Memories Of A Color 3.55
5. People Are Strange 3.54
6. This Is Stina Nordenstam 3.53

Initial observations?

The World Is Saved & And She Closed Her Eyes have switched positions, with The World Is Saved becoming Stina's most popular album.

Dynamite retains its third position, as does People Are strange with its fifth position.

However 2009's fourth placed This Is Stina Nordenstam has now dropped to the sixth position while that years least popular album, People Are Strange, has climbed up to fourth.

Every album however has lost ground with their ratings, even the top album !!

And as before, all the albums are very evenly rated with just 0.14 (out of 5.0) separating the most popular and least albums. :)