Kate Bush

New bands are welcome
blue
Bedroom

Re: Kate Bush

Post by blue »

I'll be interested to hear how the vocals are now on the Red Shoes tracks - one of my biggest problems with that record was the very harsh sound of the vocal recording, Kate's voice was like a foghorn on most of it.

Mica Paris seems an odd choice as guest vocalist, presumably she might be on a reworked Why Should I Love You? No idea who Steve Gadd is, to be honest.

The full length Deeper Understanding is up on her Facebook page apparently. It was played on Radio 2 this morning, I meant to listen but forgot about it. Mixed reactions on the Kate board at unforumzed.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

pgss
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by pgss »

blue wrote:I'll be interested to hear how the vocals are now on the Red Shoes tracks - one of my biggest problems with that record was the very harsh sound of the vocal recording, Kate's voice was like a foghorn on most of it.
It's so funny how most Kate fans dislike this album. I really love the vocals on the Red Shoes. I thought the album was an improvement in comparision to the former albums. Finally some properly structured songs, with those vocals clearly on top of it.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

The vocals had a hard-as-nails quality for me which, at the time, I put down to the fact that they'd switched from analogue to digital recording. They seemed painfully loud and harsh, particularly on things like Rubberband Girl and Moments of Pleasure.
She's re-recorded both songs for the new set so I'll be interested to hear them.

Oddly enough she hasn't re-recorded Why Should I Love You, which most fans were thinking would be a prime candidate for review. I can't believe she's redone This Woman's Work!! :shock:

It seems the vocodered voice on Deeper Understanding is her son, Bertie. Sentiment getting in the way of artistic judgement there, methinks.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

So now I'm able to access youtube again I've been listening to the full length track with interest. It strikes me that what she's done, intentionally or not, is update the track for a modern audience - it's very 'now', in the sense that where the original was warm, spacey, ethereal and somehow timeless, the new one is cold, unsubtle and obvious. The vocodered chorus is absolutely in keeping with that aim; effectively it's a dumbed-down version for a dumbed-down age, I think. There's a sense of entitlement in the more declamatory style of the vocal, where the original expressed a sadness and emptiness, a need for comfort. It's very much in keeping with the age we live in, where the 'Give me! I want! Now!' mentality is paired with an unwillingness to think about complex ideas, a tendency to just go with the simple, obvious modes of thought. It could be argued that the internet has been a major factor in the ushering in of these attitudes, so in that sense the new treatment of the song is actually highly appropriate.

If she's done this intentionally, kudos to her. It's a genuinely interesting approach. Depressing and superficial, but if that's the point she's trying to make, she's done it very well. On the other hand, if it isn't intentional and she believes she's improved on the original or expressed the idea in a better way, it's kind of sad and maybe makes the most pertinent comment of all about the age we live in.

Before getting to hear the track I'd been reading a lot of complaint about her vocal, even from die-hard fans, saying it was rough and pretty bad. I was prepared for the worst, but I must say I LOVE her vocals in the verses! She sounds as if she's trying to represent a young person, a kid who spends most of their time on computers. Again, very much in keeping with now. The combination of that approach with the more mature tone of her voice in middle age is quite beautiful, and I love the raspy quality that comes through in some parts. Fun to hear her distorting her voice toward the end too, she hasn't done that for a long time. ^

The harmonica over the new ending is great, and I'm so pleased that she's kept Yanka Rupkina's haunting solo even if the rest of the Trio's contribution has been downgraded.

All in all an interesting listen, I'm really looking forward now to hearing the re-done tracks from the Red Shoes, given how she's handling the recording of her vocals these days.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Bwahaha, this is great:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Kate_Bush

*goes off to find Tori's entry* :shock: :D

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

While listening to the original DU on youtube I came across this fan-made 'overdub mix' - he's added synthy strings and some extra piano, I have to say I love it! It sort of adds to the ethereal quality of the original, really lovely. ^

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

New clip of the reworked 'Lily':

http://chomikuj.pl/sharmila/-Kate-Bush-/mp3

Um .... oh dear. I didn't like the original song anyway so I guess it's no loss, but I didn't think it would be possible for her vocals to be worse on the new one! :D

Hmm.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Has anyone else listened to the 30-second clips from all the tracks? I'm not sure about some of the choices she's made, but I love the fact that the vocals on the Red Shoes tracks have been recorded with a nice ambience this time, makes them much more palatable. The only track that seems radically reworked is Rubberband Girl, which I'm delighted about - I can't tell you how much I *hated* the original. This new version is a vast improvement! ^

*eta*

There's something about the new Rubberband Girl that really reminds me of that song 'Stuck In The Middle With You'. :D

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

For those interested, there's a big feature article and interview with Kate in the June issue of Mojo, the only interview she'll be doing for Director's Cut.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

..........and even that was done over the phone. :mrgreen:

Franck
Living room

Post by Franck »

Still haven't found my Red Shoes tape. I'd love to give it a listen before listening to the director's cut versions.

Heard the new Deeper Understanding version on french radio the other day, so, my opinion: strange drum sound, at least 3 minutes longer with a kind of jazz jam at the end (a bit like the end of "don't give up" by P. Gabriel/K.Bush), doesn't add anything, and the awful vocoder effect on the chorus. Not worth the rewrite, for me.
"quand les mouettes ont pied, il est temps de virer" (dicton de marin breton)

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Yeah, I can appreciate what she's tried to do with it Franck but it's not a patch on the original. The vocodered bit is just awful and spoils the whole thing.

I'm looking forward to hearing the full versions of Rubberband Girl, Moments of Pleasure and This Woman's Work though, they sound intriguing from the clips.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Apart from Deeper Understanding, i've deliberately kept clear of those clips. I'm looking forward to hearing the album as a whole........and to hear the music for the first time in a controlled environment in the best possible sound quality. :)

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

That's undoubtedly the best way to approach any album Rob, so well done on having the discipline to stay away from the clips!

I won't be buying the set, I'm just curious to hear the reworkings so youtube will do me fine. If I really, really like TWW/MOP I might buy them individually as mp3s, if they're available that way.

d.a.walker
Bathroom

Post by d.a.walker »

I got the nice collectors edition today, it's certainly interesting, and strange to hear certain songs in a different light.

This Woman's Work is actually very beautifully done, as is the redone Moment's Of Pleasure. Not so sure about her changes to The Red Shoes, one of my favourite Kate songs ever. Rubberband Girl is a real jolt away from the original, and I actually prefer this new version, it's got a real rootsy vibe to it! ^ Deeper Understanding I love, and I admire her for the update, works very well in conjunction with the video too.

Briefly had on the remastered version of The Red Shoes, going to take me a lot to love that album I think. I just don't get into it because some of the songs are so poor and disrupt the whole vibe of the record. Sound quality wise, it's a VAST improvement!

I want her to remaster The Dreaming, it sounds really poor on CD, and those drums really need turning up!!! A Never For Ever remaster would be wonderful too :mrgreen:

I've heard whispers of some new tracks being recorded for a new retrospective too, but with Kate there are always a lot of whispers and lots of them never eventuate...
I dreamed of 747's, over geometric farms...