Kate Bush

New bands are welcome
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Kate Bush

Post by RobB »

Here's a very early tv appearence by Kate Bush from early 1978 ........i can hardly believe that its 32 years ago. :shock:

Stina would have been a week away from her 9th birthday when this was broadcast. :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

(embedding has been disabled so you'll need to click again on the 'watch on youtube' link)

pgss
Bedroom

Re: Kate Bush

Post by pgss »

I really think that Kate Bush has aged gracefully ^. She looks quite young nowadays.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

When she made her last video for 'King Of The Mountain', she apparently made it clear to the director that they had to make her look young. :mrgreen:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Did she indeed? I bet that's dented the illusions of a few Homeground types. :D

Sort of explains why in the few promo photos for Aerial she was continually holding her face up!
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

yep, keep those saggy multi-chins at bay. :wink:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

To be fair, I rather admire Kate for not going down the Botox/surgery route - that's why I was sort of disappointed at the obvious airbrushing of her Aerial photos, and the 'holding her face back' pose. There was a completely natural photo of her in Q magazine a couple of years before Aerial was released, you probably know the one I mean Rob, where she has a huge smile on her face and her wrinkles are borne proudly. She looked beautiful to me, a pretty woman ageing gracefully. ^

d.a.walker
Bathroom

Post by d.a.walker »

I'm currently in the midsts of a Kate frenzy having just finally got the remaining studio albums I was missing, The Dreaming & Lionheart.

Now I'm wondering if my opinion on what her best work is will change. Currently Never For Ever is on top, for a long time though it was The Sensual World (which I've only recently purchased on cd after years of vinyl - amusingly the cd I got is a vinyl replica from Japan, very lovely cd in mini vinyl packaging)
I dreamed of 747's, over geometric farms...

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

d.a.walker wrote:I'm currently in the midsts of a Kate frenzy having just finally got the remaining studio albums I was missing, The Dreaming & Lionheart.
Oh well, you've only missed the boat by 28 & 32 years respectively. :lol:

I'm not sure what i would make of Lionheart if i was discovering it now for the first time? :?

happy birthday Daniel....enjoy your KB birthday frenzy. [bday]

d.a.walker
Bathroom

Post by d.a.walker »

Haha I was 3 when Lionheart came out!! I remember it well as I couldn't get down to HMV because I was watching Rainbow :lol:

I'm already loving The Dreaming... ^

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

d.a.walker wrote:Haha I was 3 when Lionheart came out!! I remember it well as I couldn't get down to HMV because I was watching Rainbow :lol:
Wow....you were going to Ritchie Blackmore gigs as a three year old? I'm impressed. 8) :wink:
d.a.walker wrote:I'm already loving The Dreaming... ^
That album is to Kate what Dynamite is to Stina !!! :)

I love 'Suspended In Gaffa'....should have been a single in the UK instead of 'The Dreaming'.
'Sat In Your Lap' was a single of course but was released eighteen months before the album,far too early for the album to benefit from the hit single.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

'The Dreaming' will always stand up as one of the best albums ever made I think, it was genuinely out there, unique and strange and thrilling. Her best work as far as I'm concerned. ^

I hardly ever listen to Kate these days, but the odd time I do it's invariably The Dreaming. 'Houdini' is one of my favourite tracks ever, by anyone.

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

Funny, I tend to listen to The Red Shoes most of the time. It includes the best song of Kate: Moments of Pleasure. I play that song sometimes endlessly on repeat. I can listen to it all day. ^

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Looking back, I think I was really over my Kate phase when The Red Shoes was released, which is why I found it so awful. A couple of years previously I would probably have lapped up a song like 'Moments of Pleasure', but in '93 it seemed cloyingly sentimental to me - lovely music, but the lyrics/vocal turned me right off. Then when I saw the relevant sequence from the accompanying film it just put the tin lid on it for me, I couldn't stop laughing, especially at the bit where she sings 'the buildings of New York' and actually POINTS to the backdrop of New York. Still makes me giggle now. :D

I do wish I'd kept or recorded to mindisc the instrumental version of the song that appeared on one of the vinyl singles, because I did like that a lot. The strings are beautiful. ^

d.a.walker
Bathroom

Post by d.a.walker »

I loved The Red Shoes at the time, but in retrospect compared to her other albums it's very much the deformed sister locked in the attic.

I think Moments Of Pleasure is a bit of a This Woman's Work knock off. I do absolutely love the title track of the album though. Despite it's god awful music video (which Kate described as absolute bollocks :lol: )

Never For Ever is my favourite, she feels so adventurous and energetic on it ^

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

The title track and 'Why Should I Love You' are really the only things I like from that record.

I'm glad she realised what a balls-up she made of the film, at least it stopped her doing another one! To be fair though she got one thing right in her film debut, the cinematography is beautiful - they really managed to capture those gorgeous rich colours that the Powell and Pressburger movies were so famous for. Just a shame the story, dialogue and acting didn't do the cinematograpy justice.