Radiohead's The king of limbs

New bands are welcome
blue
Bedroom

Re: Radiohead's The king of limbs

Post by blue »

Just heard about King of Limbs today, haven't had a chance to get the download yet as I've been at my daughter's all day, but looking forward to it. Initially I'm very surprised that few of the titles we were expecting to be on the new album are there, some of them seem completely new.

I'm with you Alex, I love Radiohead and don't think they're at all over-rated in terms of the quality of their music. I do think the 'experimental' aspect of their stuff is well overstated, at the end of the day they're a really good rock band doing intelligent and interesting things with a standard musical format, there's nothing remotely experimental about it.

How are Thom's vocals on this record, Alex? That was the real surprise for me with In Rainbows, his voice was amazingly beautiful again.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

sound world wrote:Don't see how you can say Radiohead are 'sub-Blur'. Now there's an overrated band who don't really have an ounce of musicality about them, a charge you can hardly level at Radiohead.
Totally agree - Blur were ridiculously over-rated, even their best stuff sounds like the jingles off an ice cream van. :D

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

RobB wrote:
I sometimes think that some people on here are a little over obsessed with all things musical having to have a female angle whilst not recognising the contribution made by male artists,especially in bands. :)

It's hardly surprising that on a board devoted to a female singer-songwriter, there's a great interest in female singer-songwriters! :D

I've been a fan of various male artists/bands, but other than Radiohead none of them are at the level of a Stina or a Tori or a Polly as writers, for me. Words are always the most interesting element of a song to me so I guess I tend to want to discuss those artists who make most impact on me as writers. I mean, I think Bjork is a great musician but not a great writer, so she's not one I feel inclined to discuss much. It's not about female artists just because they're female.

alx5962
Bedroom

Post by alx5962 »

blue wrote: How are Thom's vocals on this record, Alex? That was the real surprise for me with In Rainbows, his voice was amazingly beautiful again.
Check by yourself:

I only listened to the new album twice, so I have no opinion about it yet.
I believe in your smile everyday
But I know that you're far from my way
When I talk to the moon I can hear you
In the dark I can see, I can feel your light

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Bwahaha, he's so high in that video! :D

Well Lotus Flower is certainly very different in its album version from the live version, but that's often the case with Radiohead's stuff. I love this version, the live solo one had potential but I was hoping it would be fuller.

Voice is sounding good. ^

RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by RobB »

hmmm.......sorry, it just leaves me totally cold. [b)]

But to prove that i'm not anti-Radiohead, here's a track that proves they are capable of doing something half-decent,.... when they stop trying to be clever. :wink:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

It's not obligatory to like Radiohead, Rob, even though you might think so reading the adoring music press. :wink:

I can't stop watching the Lotus Flower video, it's hilarious to see Thom's interpretive dancing. :D

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

blue wrote:It's not obligatory to like Radiohead, Rob, even though you might think so reading the adoring music press. :wink:
Thats true. I think in a way i was getting Radiohead mixed up with Stina....who of course is mandatory to like. Veronique saw to that in the old days. 8) Just look at all those old fans who thought they could just leave Stina?
Erm,they've all sort of just........ disappeared. :shock: :wink:

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

RobB wrote:That was quite good but i get the impression they knew they had a weak song and in order to save it they just distorted the hell out of performance, just to make it sound .... 'interesting'.

I've already forgotten how the song goes. :I
Rob, you're a minority here... most people do enjoy Radiohead. But if you keep on bragging about their quality then I'm sure there is some ban-button in the adminsection I could use :mrgreen:

Sorry, but if you touch Thom Yorke, you're touching me.

And as for Pink Floyd, they're highly overrated. My boyfriend enjoys their music so I've listened to their music quite a bit. They've made some snooze-albums too. (But I'm going to see Roger Waters in two months performing The Wall, so then I'll inform you on wether he is any good live, Radiohead live is genius by the way).

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

pgss wrote: (But I'm going to see Roger Waters in two months performing The Wall, so then I'll inform you on wether he is any good live, Radiohead live is genius by the way).
Hope you live to tell the tale, Paul. The film of the Wall is one of the least pleasant memories in my life. [:xx]

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

I must say I love the fact that King of Limbs takes time and repeated listens to find your way into - In Rainbows was probably the most straightforwardly melodic and accessible thing Radiohead had done since The Bends, and it's a great album, but it's good to feel that ever so slight sense of alienation again with this one.

I'm obsessed with 'Bloom' right now, it makes me think of certain sequences in movies like Taxi Driver and 25th Hour, those New York movies with an alienated anti-hero as the narrator. The lyrics completely belie the feel of the music, but I can almost imagine them being a mantra going on in this narrator's head to stop him completely losing it. Great opening to the album. ^

Franck
Living room

Post by Franck »

Still don't know if I like this album or not. Really weird even after a few listens.
"quand les mouettes ont pied, il est temps de virer" (dicton de marin breton)

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

I think that's a pretty normal reaction to this one Franck, judging by the fan boards. This album is polarizing in the same way that Kid A and Amnesiac were, which is good news as far as I'm concerned. ^

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Hilarious:

You go, girl! :D

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

Really hilarious. Thom should go on tour with Beyonce.