Radiohead's The king of limbs

New bands are welcome
alx5962
Bedroom

Radiohead's The king of limbs

Post by alx5962 »

I just bought new Radiohead's album : http://www.thekingoflimbs.com/
It was just released online today (digital copy for 7 euros).
Now I need to listen to the album several times ! :mrgreen:
I believe in your smile everyday
But I know that you're far from my way
When I talk to the moon I can hear you
In the dark I can see, I can feel your light

RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Re: Radiohead's The king of limbs

Post by RobB »

If there was an award presentation for the Most Overrated Band In The History Of The Universe then Radiohead need to be the only band to show up. :wink:

Apart from maybe half a dozen tracks, i really can't see what people see in them.

They're enough to give the Alan Parsons Project a bad name. :mrgreen:

alx5962
Bedroom

Post by alx5962 »

RobB wrote:If there was an award presentation for the Most Overrated Band In The History Of The Universe then Radiohead need to be the only band to show up. :wink:

Apart from maybe half a dozen tracks, i really can't see what people see in them.

They're enough to give the Alan Parsons Project a bad name. :mrgreen:
that's hard, RobB !
I really like their music and how they don't fit the business industry standards; they don't pretend to be big stars like most of the actual rock bands (and acting like this).

I really like how experimental their music sounds and I like the fact they don't use the always the same 4/5 major chords used in 90 % of the actual songs at least (I'm fed up to hear Coldplay or bands musically totally similar to them all the time, no creativity and the same soup recipe).

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Well, let's face it, most rock bands are hugely overrated. Leaving that aside, Radiohead strike me as pretty worthwhile, far more so than Coldplay (who have a knack for a catchy little hook, but little else), and more interesting and experimental musically than most of that ilk. They have become deified to the point where they're in danger of stepping into Pseuds Corner at any moment, but that's not their fault.

I don't quite see the connection with the Alan Parsons Project-I think there's a very different market involved. BTW RobB, the awful Alan was heavily involved with one of your favourite bands, wasn't he? (another of those bands who really ARE overrated :mrgreen: )

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

alx5962 wrote:that's hard, RobB !
I've got a rotten cold Alex so i'm feeling agressive. :mrgreen:

[quote="alx5962]I really like their music and how they don't fit the business industry standards; they don't pretend to be big stars like most of the actual rock bands (and acting like this).[/quote]

Well, they are commercially successful so they must be doing something right with their music and attitude but,sorry, it just doesn't impress me. I think they try too hard to be 'different' but everytime i've heard one of their tracks its always sub-Blur, sub-REM, sub-Floyd.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:BTW RobB, the awful Alan was heavily involved with one of your favourite bands, wasn't he? (another of those bands who really ARE overrated :mrgreen: )
I suppose when they are that popular the Beatles were always going to be over-rated to someone...... sniff :lol:

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Don't see how you can say Radiohead are 'sub-Blur'. Now there's an overrated band who don't really have an ounce of musicality about them, a charge you can hardly level at Radiohead. Also I don't see any comparison with REM who are essentially a stadium rock band working off a few well-tried licks. Radiohead are far more adventurous musically.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

RobB wrote:
sound world wrote:BTW RobB, the awful Alan was heavily involved with one of your favourite bands, wasn't he? (another of those bands who really ARE overrated :mrgreen: )
I suppose when they are that popular the Beatles were always going to be over-rated to someone...... sniff :lol:
I meant Pink Floyd actually. :mrgreen:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:Don't see how you can say Radiohead are 'sub-Blur'. Now there's an overrated band who don't really have an ounce of musicality about them, a charge you can hardly level at Radiohead.
Blur released their Blur allbum on 10th February 1997.
Radiohead released OK Computer with similar but less defined sound on 16th June 1997.
hmmm..... :mrgreen:
sound world wrote:Also I don't see any comparison with REM who are essentially a stadium rock band working off a few well-tried licks. Radiohead are far more adventurous musically.
I hear Street Spirit (one of their songs i really like incidentally) and i think 'thats REM'.

I listen to karma Police and its 'thats the Beatles'.....Sexy Sadie to be precise.

Listening to Radiohead is like listening to Oasis....half the fun is identifying all the bits they've nicked. :mrgreen:

Throbbing Gristle were 'adventurous musically'.......Radiohead just aren't as good or as important (IMHO)as many of their 'fans' make out.

Thank gawd Tori Amos isn't their lead singer is all i can say? :wink:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:
RobB wrote:
I meant Pink Floyd actually. :mrgreen:
Who? [angel]

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Throbbing Gristle, now you're talking. Never thought I'd see their name mentioned here with all the female vocal maniacs hereabouts.
I actually did some music with one of TG when I was living in West Yorks-although I met him when he was doing a friends' house up-he was working as a handyman, something Thom Yorke, Damon Albarn etc never had to do once they had notoriety.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:Throbbing Gristle, now you're talking. Never thought I'd see their name mentioned here with all the female vocal maniacs hereabouts.
I appreciate what you're saying there,Dave. 8)
I sometimes think that some people on here are a little over obsessed with all things musical having to have a female angle whilst not recognising the contribution made by male artists,especially in bands. :)

Anyway, Throbbing Gristle.....i always liked them for the gorgeous long haired member with the tits. :mrgreen:
I could quite easily get Cosey with her anytime. :wink:

Funnily enough, i was talking to a customer in my shop the other day about Throbbing Gristle. He's even interested in buying my double vinyl lp copy of Thee Psychick Scarifice, which strangely i can't find in the discography below:

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/throbbing_gristle

But here it is so i know it exists. :mrgreen:

http://mutant-sounds.blogspot.com/2007/ ... chick.html

I can still remembering hearing it being blasted out in parrot Records one Saturday morning nearly thirtry years ago now.
I was so impressed i bought the shop. Erm....no, i bought the album. :mrgreen:

Sorry Alex, we've hi-jacked your Radiohead thread. :I

alx5962
Bedroom

Post by alx5962 »

hi-jacking is no problem for me; I like to do this too :lol:

Climbing Up The walls is one of my fave Radiohead's songs and no way to compare ths track to any Blur ones ! It's not pop music here but intense and strong piece of music !

I really like the Beatles and Pink Floyd too, I guess a track like "Welcome to the machine" could be easily placed in the track listing of Radiohead without being noticed as not written by them.
And maybe that's one of the many reasons I like Radiohead, tthey sound like older bands I love but in a more modern way.
I discovered Radiohead when I was a teenager (saw them live in 97!) and maybe if like you I discovered Pink Floyd at this time I would have felt the same.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

This might be a better link to Climbing Up The Walls.

That was quite good but i get the impression they knew they had a weak song and in order to save it they just distorted the hell out of performance, just to make it sound .... 'interesting'.

I've already forgotten how the song goes. :I

alx5962
Bedroom

Post by alx5962 »

RobB wrote:This might be a better link to Climbing Up The Walls.

corrected, thanks !