Something RobB might enjoy...

New bands are welcome
sound world
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Something RobB might enjoy...

Post by sound world »

Just came across this...ever seen these before, RobB??

http://www.retronaut.com/2012/06/abbey-road-1/

So Paul was wearing flip-flops before crossing....

RobB
Bedroom

Re: Something RobB might enjoy...

Post by RobB »

Thanks Dave. Although I've seen those photos before its nice to see them all on one page. 8)
I'm off to Abbey Road studios again next month and although i'll be inside the famous 'studio two', I don't think anyone will be surprised to learn that I won't be recording anything. :mrgreen:

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Did you see the BBC4 thing about remaking a 'classic' ? (Please Please Me). I watched about half of it and thought :-

-Please Please Me was never a 'classic' anyway-most of the songs are lame and hackneyed in lyrical and musical content-even the Bacharach song (very few Beatles compositions in there). The first Beatles album that was any good at all was 'Hard Day's Night', IMHO.
-The covers were mostly dire. Why did they bother? Credit to the backing band and musical arranger, blameless both (although I heard several clunkers of chords etc), but the standard of so-called 'star' performers was dismal. The last woman at least really went for it on 'Twist and Shout'.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

I'd heard about the project in advance but I didn't watch the documentary.......mainly for all the reasons you've highlighted......and also because I'd forgotten all about it. :wink: If they had had Pink Floyd or Kate Bush.......or Stina Nordenstam (who? :mrgreen: ) involved then I would have watched it but trying to recreate an album which, as you rightly say, was hardly a classic in the first place,just seem to be a pointless exercise. I also agree that A Hard day's Night was the first Beatles album of any importance.

From the Please Please Me lp I do like Misery and PS I Love You but that's about it. I havn't played the album in years though to be honest.

Staying with the Beatles, recently I have been enjoying listening to bootlegs of the Abbey Road album where each song's recording has been broken down into individual tracks. So,for example, with You Never Give Me Your Money, you get a solo piano track, then drums and bass, then solo guitar, followed by a combination of all three tracks,then solo voice etc etc. The percussion track on Mean Mr Mustard is a revelation has most of it is buried on the official album mix.