Kate St John

New bands are welcome
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Kate St John

Post by RobB »

I've always liked Kate St John's work......she was originally one third of the Ravishing Beauties (the other two thirds being Virginia Astley & Nicky Holland) in the early eighties before finding 'fame' as one third of the Dream Academy,who had a big hit with Life In A Northern Town.

During the 1990's Kate released three solo albums, including a joint effort with Roger Eno (the two of them had also been in the ambient super group, Channel Light Vessel).

I'm delighted that someone is now uploading her music onto YouTube.........this is a beautiful track called On The Bridge, which Kate wrote. Her vocals are shared with Brian Kennedy.

RobB
Bedroom

Re: Kate St John

Post by RobB »

Another song by Kate which has become a firm favourite over the years:

Songs and Silhouettes

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Both those tracks are really pretty, musically. I love the long cello intro to the first one. Her writing is very conventional though, doesn't do much for me. Wasn't she at school with Kate Bush, back in the 70s? I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

I had no idea Virginia Astley was in The Ravishing Beauties! How random.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

I don't think she was at school with Kate Bush but there are only nine months between them in age so I guess its possible. There is a connection though via David Gilmour who was a kind of mentor to both (with Kate Bush as a solo artist and with Kate St John as one third of The Dream Academy,who had a hit single with 'Life In A Northern Town').