Siobhan Donaghy

New bands are welcome
blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Thought some of you might be interested in this, a small interview with Siobhan from the 'Weekend' section of the UK newspaper The Sun (the section that reviews upcoming albums/movies etc):

Original Sugababe Siobhan Donaghy, who left the trio at the start of their success, is making waves with her new solo album, Ghosts. Here, she talks to Jaqui Swift about teaming up with programmer James Sanger, who's worked with Pet Shop Boys, Keane and U2, her Sugababes past and being compared to Kate Bush.

You will always be 'the original Sugababe'' - are you hoping that will now be forgotten?

I'm 23 and it's a long time since I was in that band, but I was in it for four years, and it was the start of my music career. But now it's a fresh start with new managers and a great new record label.

What went so wrong with the Sugababes?

I was too young, just 12 and then pulled out of school at 14 and home tutored. If I had a daughter I'd never let her go into the music industry at such an early age. I was sued by my management company when I was just 17, it was terrible.

Are you OK with Mutya releasing her album so close to yours?

Yes, as there's no animosity. We were only kids back then and it was Keisha I had a problem with. And our music is totally different as she is doing R+B slow jams and mine is more ethereal.

How did you hook up with producer James Sanger?

To begin with he rubbed me up the wrong way and said I was always singing in the wrong key. Then I went out to the south of France to work with him. He just wanted me to get my entire album out of my head. He was so enthusiastic. I had no record company - he was just working on spec.

Who influenced the new sound?

Cocteau Twins, Kate Bush, Roxy Music and Brian Eno. James is a bit eccentric and he brought that side out of me. Halcyon Days, Medevac and Goldfish just blew my mind. When we were finishing them I thought: I can't believe I'm making music like this.

How do you like being compared to Kate Bush?

It's a bit scary and I have to be careful because there are so many hardcore Kate Bush fans out there. But it is a bit of a nod to her, because I just think she's amazing.

Tell us about Don't Give It Up.

It's about addiction, as is Medevac. James was a heroin addict and battling his addiction when we were making this record. It was really intense. I don't know how I stuck it out but he dealt with it and went to rehab. He was shocked with some of the lyrics I wrote in Medevac. He didn't realise we understood his pain and wanted to help.

When can we see you play live?

I'm supporting Crowded House next week which will be amazing. I'm looking at a tour for autumn. I can't wait.

The article is accompanied by a photo of her looking very glamorous indeed, far more so than the girl I saw at Glastonbury, I wouldn't have recognised her to be honest.

I like her frankness in this little interview, faced with typically tabloid mentality. Her comments about being scared of the Kate comparisons because of that artist's psycho fanbase made me laugh, but how sad that a young female artist is wary of paying homage to Kate because she fears a reaction that could affect her career.
Last edited by blue on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

pgss wrote:
Beth, you should give this a spin.
Listening to the myspace tracks now, Paul. First impressions of Medevac - yeah, I like this, I can still very much hear a Sugababes vibe from the vocal stylings but I like the Sugababes. :D I don't hear much of a Kate influence, except maybe in the 'if only you could wrap me up' section, there's a bit of Running Up That Hill in there.

Just looking at the list of artists she likes, nice to see Tori on there. ^

Ha, did she just namecheck 'The Bends' on 'So You Say'? :D

Really liking what I'm hearing so far.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Ooh god, really hearing Elizabeth Fraser in 'Ghosts'. :shock:

pgss
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by pgss »

Yeah I know! And certainly "Don't Give It Up" could have been a modern Kate Bush track. Although the lyrics would probably be a little bit too straight forward. But I've been listening to this album for two months now and I am hooked. PM me your private email adress and I'll send you two other tracks you'll like.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Done. :wink:

kuhn
Bedroom

Post by kuhn »

pgss wrote:Yeah I know! And certainly "Don't Give It Up" could have been a modern Kate Bush track. Although the lyrics would probably be a little bit too straight forward. But I've been listening to this album for two months now and I am hooked. PM me your private email adress and I'll send you two other tracks you'll like.
I'm also enjoying this song. But of course if flopped on the charts. :wink:

d.a.walker
Bathroom

Post by d.a.walker »

I adore her album, Medevac is my favourite along with Halcyon Days which is just beautiful. I wish she'd have some success, it's such a shame considering her talent.
I dreamed of 747's, over geometric farms...

aermancer
Bathroom

Post by aermancer »

of course Ghosts tanked on the charts.

her music is too sophisticated now for the masses to bother with

since when have chart positions mattered when it comes to quality music, anyway? when have any of these artists in this forum charted remotely well? :lol:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

I did check out the tracks that she has available on her 'My space' site but to be honest I found them all very superficial and rather bland :( ...........did Trevor Horn produce her because thats what those recordings sound like?

Maybe I'm being subconciously influenced by knowing her musical past but I just know that I'd never be able to take her seriously no more than I could ever take Kylie seriously.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Well, I think it's pop music Rob, it's not necessarily meant to be taken seriously. :D

I'm loving this album, it's sheer pleasure - no 'work' to be done, as with my more usual listening. :wink:

Shame it hasn't done better for her on the charts, purely in the sense that she'll be in that scary position again of wondering if her label is going to drop her.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

blue wrote:Well, I think it's pop music Rob, it's not necessarily meant to be taken seriously. :D
well,thats probably true but I get the impression that the music is being marketed as being something that its not.

Maybe thats the reason its a commercial failure,because its falling between two stalls? :)

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

I think you have a point there, Rob - although it's clearly pop music and not art-rock (for want of a better term), and though Siobhan clearly talks of it as pop music on her myspace, it's referencing artists who are somewhat more substantial - Kate Bush, Cocteau Twins, Roxy Music - and who belong more in the 'art-rock' genre. I think this could be confusing and perhaps a bit off-putting for the market that it should be aiming at, ie those who like superior, classy pop. Personally I hear a lot of Sugababes in her singing style, for instance, in the vocal layering and the soul-ish phrasing at times, and the melodies are very pop, but the production is trying to make it sound like something more.

I think it is falling between genres somewhat, but it may be that on the next album (if she gets a chance to make it, that is :roll: ), she'll clarify what it is she wants to be and then will find her niche.

aermancer
Bathroom

Post by aermancer »

*prays for a more ethereal and experimental album next time*

If every track were as good as Ghosts it would be a masterpiece.

d.a.walker
Bathroom

Re: Siobhan Donaghy

Post by d.a.walker »

Medevac is the third single, to be released in early 2008, looks like EMI are going to do a relaunch for the album too. Which is quiet nice news really as this album has been criminally ignored. Her release got totally shelved here in Australia, So You Say was released to radio and then everything dropped off the radar when the album missed the top 75 in the UK. My darling sister sent me a proper copy of the album for my birthday, I had to get it for real, hard work deserves it's rewards ^
I dreamed of 747's, over geometric farms...

blue
Bedroom

Re: Siobhan Donaghy

Post by blue »

Oh it sounds like the record company realise they have something worth putting a bit of effort into at least, which is very positive news for Siobhan. It might indicate that EMI are willing to stick with her for another album?