Trauma

Watched a good movie?
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Trauma

Post by RobB »

Watched 'Trauma' on dvd last night and its moved swiftly into my all time top 20 films,even if it does get a lousy 4.6 something on IMDB. [b)]

A psychological thriller cum occasional horror film,the plot centers around Colin Firth waking up in hospital after surviving a car crash in which his girlfriend is killed.Recovery in hospital coincides with a media frenzy over a famous pop singer being initially missing and then found murdered. Firth's character has an interest in the singer and becomes a suspect is her murder. In the meantime he starts taking an interest in his new angelic looking neighbour but is she real or a figment of his imagination? And why does he start to see his dead girlfriend?

A rather absorbing,sometimes confusing and unsettling British film that may not going down as the greatest film ever made but certainly deserves a 7.0 at least on IMDB.

blue
Bedroom

Re: Trauma

Post by blue »

Ah very interesting to have your thoughts on this one Rob, I was looking at it on Amazon a while back but was put off by the clutch of not-very-good reviews. It does sound really interesting though, right up my street.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Its really hard to be objective. There are loads of films that people crack up to be earth shattering and when i've seen them I can never see what the fuss is about. Maybe I just have weird tastes? :mrgreen:

A good example is in the IMDB top 250 films they have at #12 'Star Wars' which with 274,370 votes has a rating of 8.8 out of 10.

Star Wars? A badly acted crap sci-fi comic book film with rotten special fx. :shock: :mrgreen:

But 274,370 movie goers can't be wrong so what do i know? [b)] :lol:

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Well,it goes for everything,not just films,music being a prime example.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

........ and people. As you say,it goes for everything. :)

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Trauma is being shown on BBC2 (UK) at 10.45pm this coming Saturday (21st March). :)

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Oh good! Saves me the rental, then. Thanks for the heads up, I never know what's on telly these days. Actually come to think of it I have Film4, I really should check that out now and again. :D

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

I never know whats on either....until its been on and i've missed it. :mrgreen:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Beth,did you watch it or.........? :mrgreen:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

I did Rob, yes, and thoroughly enjoyed it too! I thought it was a really well-made, intriguing film, I loved the way it made use of the East End locations in almost a noir-ish way. That was very clever and stylish. It managed to blend the horror aspects with the grim realism in a way that totally convinced, which is a difficult thing to do - the scenes where he's going through the hospital ward were brilliant, really unnerving and creepy. I kept thinking of 'Jacob's Ladder', I think this film was going for a similar feel.

The central performance by Colin Firth is great, he's not an actor I've had a lot of time for before (mainly because of his appearances as the romantic leads in things like Pride and Prejudice and Bridget Jones - I think his sex appeal is vastly over-rated, to be honest), but he really surprised me in this. He managed to make a seriously questionable character very believable and even sympathetic, kind of the way Guy Pearce does in Memento.

Mena Suvari was great, too, as the wise, sensitive woman who has the potential to change Firth's life - and ends up doing so, though not quite in the way you imagined.

Really great movie, I'm going to pick it up for my collection I think, it's the kind of thing I could sit and watch again.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

blue wrote:Really great movie, I'm going to pick it up for my collection I think, it's the kind of thing I could sit and watch again.
That for me is the main sign of a great film....when you straight away want to see it again.

K-Pax, Solaris, Heavenly Creatures,Innocence,Is-Slottet,The Cement Garden plus two you have just mentioned ,Jacob's Ladder and Memento,all are films that I just HAD to watch again as soon as they finished. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed Trauma,which generally doesn't receive the acclaim which I think it deserves.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

RobB wrote: K-Pax, Solaris, Heavenly Creatures,Innocence,Is-Slottet,The Cement Garden plus two you have just mentioned ,Jacob's Ladder and Memento,all are films that I just HAD to watch again as soon as they finished. :)
The Cement Garden? Haven't seen the film,but the book gave me the heebie-jeebies.I can't imagine it would be the kind of thing I'd want to watch again straightaway.Similarly 'Memento',which I have seen,and which I found ultimately tragic and nihilistic,though it's a tour-de-force of construction.

Anyone who likes the American 'Solaris' (which is ,I assume,the one you mean,RobB) should make it a point of honour to watch the Tarkovsky original,which is one of the greatest movies ever made,IMHO.Don't expect Hollywood,though.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:Anyone who likes the American 'Solaris' (which is ,I assume,the one you mean,RobB) should make it a point of honour to watch the Tarkovsky original,which is one of the greatest movies ever made,IMHO.Don't expect Hollywood,though.
I remember you praising the original before Dave but to be honest I was slightly disappointed when I finally got it on dvd.
It just doesn't have 'poetic' flowing quality of the remake or the haunting music. Its still a brave film though given its age but I think this is one example where the 'Hollywood' remake betters the original,which doesn't happen too often.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

RobB wrote:
K-Pax, Solaris, Heavenly Creatures,Innocence,Is-Slottet,The Cement Garden plus two you have just mentioned ,Jacob's Ladder and Memento,all are films that I just HAD to watch again as soon as they finished. :)
Seriously, I think you and me are brain-twins when it comes to movies, Rob - every single film you mentioned there is on my favourites list. :D

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

RobB wrote:
sound world wrote:Anyone who likes the American 'Solaris' (which is ,I assume,the one you mean,RobB) should make it a point of honour to watch the Tarkovsky original,which is one of the greatest movies ever made,IMHO.Don't expect Hollywood,though.
I remember you praising the original before Dave but to be honest I was slightly disappointed when I finally got it on dvd.
It just doesn't have 'poetic' flowing quality of the remake or the haunting music. Its still a brave film though given its age but I think this is one example where the 'Hollywood' remake betters the original,which doesn't happen too often.
I still haven't seen the original 'Solaris', but the remake is wonderfully atmospheric - I think we had a discussion about it on the board once, didn't we. I love how it's always raining in the scenes on earth.