Autumn Sonata on Film 4 tonight @ 01:10

Watched a good movie?
barrett
Living room

Autumn Sonata on Film 4 tonight @ 01:10

Post by barrett »

Heads up for Dave and other fans of Ingmar Bergman's films...and yes RobB,Ingrid Bergman is in this one :wink: with Liv Ullman (drool) [angel] ^

sound world
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Re: Autumn Sonata on Film 4 tonight @ 01:10

Post by sound world »

Yes I spotted that was on after I watched 'Airplane' on Film 4 last night. :mrgreen: (One of those films my son has to experience!).
I remember going to see 'Autumn Sonata' when it was first out,oh,bloody ages ago; don't remember much about it except the emotional intensity.1.10? I shall have to video it.Last time I tried that with Film 4 it failed miserably,and then i got a nice parcel from Barrett thru the post ^ .

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Way past my bedtime unfortunately. :I :mrgreen:

I havn't seen it for a while now but Airplane is hysterical. :mrgreen:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Just resurrecting this topic because Autumn Sonata was shown on TV last week here in the UK, I hadn't seen it since I was a teenager and I wanted to see if my view of it had changed now I'm middle-aged.

Gosh, for all it's stage-y-ness it's really an amazing film. Once you set aside the difficulty of that heightened literate quality not being quite believable in the medium of film, there's so much food for thought in the fraught relationship between the mother and daughter. As a teenager I remember being totally 'on the side' of the Liv Ullman character, I empathised so much with her anger and sense of betrayal and abandonment, but this time round I found myself feeling more compassion for the Ingrid Bergman character, who is, sadly, unable to change her behaviour because she's only fleetingly able to grasp the things in her own past that are driving it. She's unwilling to dive into the deep waters of her own self because she's terrified of the things she vaguely perceives there, like so many people. The contrast between this and the determined exploration of the daughter is really beautifully handled. ^

Oddly enough, it was only on this second watching that I 'got' the correlation between the emotional journey of the characters and the musical journey of a sonata, even though the title makes it really obvious. :D
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Thinking back to when I watched it last year-I was spellbound again by the amazing emotional intensity Bergman manages to get into the dialogue, helped greatly by such brilliant acting. I think when I first saw it as a callow youth I didn't understand it at all, but Liv Ullmann's character really resonated with me last time. Her husband's part in it all was intriguing too...
I have it on DVD now, and have promised myself to watch it again.
You'd enjoy 'Cries and Whispers' too, I think, Beth. Well, maybe 'enjoy' isn't the right word. :mrgreen: Appreciate, perhaps.