Let The Right One In

Watched a good movie?
d.a.walker
Bathroom

Let The Right One In

Post by d.a.walker »

This is without shadow of a doubt now in my all time top 10 films.

The simple story of a 12 year old boy, divorced parents, badly bullied at school and a loner, who befriends a girl who moves into the apartment next door to him. She also happens to be a vampire.

Firstly and most importantly, this is NOT a horror film. Rather a very touching and beautiful story about childhood pain, friendship and love. It is not without it's elements of danger and is certainly unsettling in place, after all the girl is a vampire, but the balance is done so perfectly that it cannot fit into the horror genre.

The performances are absolutely stunning and there is genuine emotion to the characters. The relationship between the two children is reminiscent of the great lost Paperhouse children.

The film is Swedish and naturally there is already a undoubtedly god awful remake scheduled for 2010. See this before the remake destroys it for a wider audience!

(It does annoy me that great non-Hollywood films get remade. Already we are getting unnecessary remakes of the astonishing French horror Inside and the equally magnificent The Orphanage. Rec's remake was ghastly and The Strangers was not a patch on the almost unheard of original Ils (despite how much the US director claims it was his original idea - Sue him Sue Him SUE HIM!!!!!!! the bastard!!). But when you look at what we're getting from the USA, man it's really quite hideous - crappy computer animated films about some novelty animal wank, dire Adam Sandler films (an assasin needed there methinks), teen shite with Emma Roberts in, bad remakes of bad 80's slasher films and whatever garbage Disney manages to cobble together outside of relying on Pixar to keep them afloat!!! Hehe rant over!)
I dreamed of 747's, over geometric farms...

RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Re: Let The Right One In

Post by RobB »

'Let The Right One In' seems to be very popular although there is a lot of anger over the North Amercian dvd subtitles.
Seemingly the subtitles on the original theatrical version were inaccurate but nevertheless popular.

When it came to the American dvd release, they changed the subtitles to reflect more accurately the Swedish dialogue and nearly everyone is up in arms about it. The dvd company are now going to re-issue the dvd with the theatrical sub-titles. [b)] :mrgreen:

And the dubbing is supposed to be rubbish too.

Which version do you have,Daniel?

There doesn't seem to be a European Region 2 version yet apart from the original Swedish dvd.

d.a.walker
Bathroom

Post by d.a.walker »

I have the R1 version, mainly as it opens at the cinema here at the end of April (!), I found the subtitles to be fantastic. Maybe the US cinema subtitles were simplified for the American market (I'm such a bitch hahahaha).

Damn good film ^
I dreamed of 747's, over geometric farms...

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

I'll definately be adding it to my 'dvds to get' list. :)

aermancer
Bathroom

Post by aermancer »

[size].[/size]
Last edited by aermancer on Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

wirbel
Bathroom

Post by wirbel »

This was a very good movie with great setting and cinematography. There's an American remake out now that is also getting good reviews, but i'm doubtful about watching it. The only good American remake ever was the Ring for me :)
-I am a true Believer-

alx5962
Bedroom

Post by alx5962 »

I saw "Let me in" (the US remake) and it was wonderful, I already watched it twice in fact :D
I heard it was frame by frame remake of the swedish movie but as I haven't seen this one I cannot tell if there's a difference. Anyway, the american actors are great (especially the girl - who also played in Kick-Ass !).

I might watch the swedish version too if I can find it in the usual places :mrgreen:
I believe in your smile everyday
But I know that you're far from my way
When I talk to the moon I can hear you
In the dark I can see, I can feel your light

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

wirbel wrote:The only good American remake ever was the Ring for me :)
I thought Dark Water was pretty good too.

The less we mention The Wicker Man the better me thinks. :mrgreen:

wirbel
Bathroom

Post by wirbel »

RobB wrote: The less we mention The Wicker Man the better me thinks. :mrgreen:
dang, you've mentioned it! I had just about forgotten about it. :twisted:
-I am a true Believer-

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

:mrgreen:
Nevermind, at least it makes you appreciate the original version even more.

alx5962
Bedroom

Post by alx5962 »

"the usual places" filled my wish :mrgreen:
now I need to find time to watch it
I believe in your smile everyday
But I know that you're far from my way
When I talk to the moon I can hear you
In the dark I can see, I can feel your light

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

I picked this film up secondhand a while back, and from the first watch it went on to my 'greatest things I've ever seen' list. The original version of course, I haven't seen the American remake.

It's one of those films you find hard to describe or categorise, you end up just telling people they *must* watch it. :-)

It's really, I think, a meditation on the dark side of love, and a very compelling and original contribution to the vampire genre. It *is* a horror film, I feel, but the horror is rooted in the nature of the love between the two protagonists. It's so poetically depicted that you forget, you are watching a vampire enslaving its latest servant, who will do terrible things to serve it. What gives that unbearable poignancy is the fact that they are both children.

Amazing film, a real beloved.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...