'Mum & Dad' & 'The Children'

Watched a good movie?
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

'Mum & Dad' & 'The Children'

Post by RobB »

I wasn't sure whether to create a new thread to my two latest dvd additions or simply send Daniel a PM? :mrgreen:

'Mum & Dad' and 'The Children' are two unconnected recent low-budget (the former was made for £100k) British 'horror' films, both of which at times make for unpleasant but enthralling viewing.

'The Children',with its bigger budget,is probably the most impressive of the two.
Set on New Years Eve,two families celebrate as their children,aged btw 3 & 11, start displaying signs of homocidal behaviour.As time progresses,the parents and the eldest child come under increasing attacks.

Like all these type of films you have to suspend a certain amount of disbelief (otherwise it just comes across as total nonsense) but the style in which the film was shot does genuinely make the kids look and act creepy.

'Mum & Dad' is more unpleasant with a dysfunctional family luring unexpected folk to their house to be part of 'their family'. With scenes of torture coupled with occasional bouts of very black comedy,this film could only be set in the UK (the family house is set under Hearthrow's flightpath). What makes the film work is that it looks and feels realistic and also that it features virtually all unknown actors. Perry Benson is the biggest star on show here,and he plays the lead role of the 'Dad'.

If you don't like injections and people being mutilated,I'd give this one a miss.

dynamite
Toilet

Re: 'Mum & Dad' & 'The Children'

Post by dynamite »

Oh cool, I actually went on a practical film directing course at broadway cinema in nottingham which was run by the guy who directed Mum & Dad. I never checked the movie out yet but he was a cool guy and taught a lot of good stuff about film directing.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Steven Sheil was also the writer of the film so he's obviously very talented. Not sure what he's working on now but hopefully he'll be writing/directing more gritty realistic films soon.

http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm1377658/

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

RobB wrote:If you don't like injections and people being mutilated,I'd give this one a miss.
Well, I'll pass on this one.

A couple of years ago my boyfriend and I were on vacation when he suggested we should see the movie "Mirrors". After reading the summary I believed it was some kind of movie about paranormal stuff. But it turned out to be a thriller. And even as a grown up I really can't sleep after watching a movie like that.

I forced my boyfriend to see another movie in the theater that night. Some boring teenage college movie with a happy ending.....

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

Brrr, that trailer gives me the creeps! http://uk.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2453733913/

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Typically the advert played but not the trailer......nevermind, just as well i've got the dvd. :wink: