Is-slottet (this thread contains spoilers)

Watched a good movie?
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Is-slottet (this thread contains spoilers)

Post by RobB »

'Is-slottet' has been my all time favourite film since i discovered it late one night on BBC2 back in 1988.

The soundtrack music is wonderful throughout & the opening theme of the film can now be enjoyed on youtube.

blue
Bedroom

Re: Is-slottet

Post by blue »

Such an amazing film. I wish I had a copy. I saw it once on TV twenty years ago and much of the imagery has never left me to this day.

Unfortunately it will probably never be shown on TV again due to the nature of some of the scenes between the little girls, and the ridiculous hysteria that nowadays surrounds the subject of children's sexuality. So sad.

Thanks for posting the link Rob, great to see a clip, at least. You know how sometimes, when you see something once like that and years later you wonder if maybe you're misremembering how magical it was? Just that opening sequence assures me I'm not misremembering. ^
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

I have to see this film!
RobB sent me the S/T long ago,but that's the first time I've seen any footage. Immediately intriguing. And nice and slow. ^

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Its certainly a very slow moving film, with minimal dialogue which comes in handy when reading the sub-titles. :mrgreen:

It certainly very poetic and beautiful to watch with many memorable sequences,including Unn's (the girl in the house in the clip above) walk through the ice chambers of the frozen waterfall.

About eight years ago,soon after I got onto the internet,I managed to find a contact address for Hilde (the actress who played the the part of Unn) and we had a brief email correspondence. She mentioned how surprised she was to receive my message as I was the first person to contact her about the film since it had been made some 13 years earlier.

Beth, unfortunately I think you are right about it never being shown again on UK tv because of the nudity issue.
Although the 'offending' (sic) sections could quite easily be edited unfortunately it would also interupt the flow of the music which is a huge part of the film. I think the film lasts for 75 minutes of which 50 minutes contains music.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

So.....what happens? *intrigued* :mrgreen:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

I'm not going to spoil it for you,so be patient and wait til you see the film. :)

Good grief Dave,I bet you even wanted to know how Titanic ended before you saw the film? :mrgreen:

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

I've just d/led it from Google video.Sure,the pic quality ain't going to be great,but if I like it,then I can look out for a better copy.
Now it's just a problem of finding the time to watch it... :mrgreen:

barrett
Living room

Post by barrett »

sound world wrote:I've just d/led it from Google video.Sure,the pic quality ain't going to be great,but if I like it,then I can look out for a better copy.
Now it's just a problem of finding the time to watch it... :mrgreen:
Excellent find Dave...I can watch it ,but how do you d/l it ? So i can put it on disc and watch it on the TV... 8)

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

On a Mac....this is what you do using Safari browser (must be something similar on a PC). Incredibly simple.
- Start film playing in Google vids
-in Safari menu go to Window/Activity.
-In the pop-up Activity window,scroll through the list of files until you see one that's much bigger size than the others and is increasing (something like 132kb of 176 Mb)
- double-click on that file. That's it,it will start d/ling. Another browser page might open which you can ignore.
- now you can close the browser windows/stop watching Google vids.

It will download as a .flv file (Flash),which you can watch using eg VLC.

Failing that,there must be dozens of ways of ripping Flash files (eg from YouTube) available if you Google it.

barrett
Living room

Post by barrett »

Thanx Dave...I forgot you're on Mac...I switched browsers to IE,where i can d/l youtube type stuff...I've got so used to Firefox lately,i never use owt else...will watch it this evening...looks great...thanx Rob for the heads up... :D
BTW,did you see "Sawdust and Tinsel " recently ...I'm wondering...did Bergman ever make a bad film ???Theyre all so fuckin' good... :o 8) ^

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

'Sawdust and Tinsel' has always been a favourite-it actually really reminds me of my own time as part of a theatre company,crazily intense.
And did you catch 'Autumn Sonata'? Not such a great film but a staggering performance by Liv Ullman.
Our TV aerial has just been upgraded-living in the woods miles from a main transmitter has meant that we'd watch a lot of things in freeze-frame,while Film Four just was hopeless,so most of those Bergman-type films I missed (eg 'Summer with Monika',on the other day,which I'd love to see again). But now it works a charm!!

barrett
Living room

Post by barrett »

Watched Is-Slottet last night...the bad news is that d/l has Spanish subtitles,but luckily theres very little dialogue and with a minimum of Spanish (ie:Un cerveza frio por favor :mrgreen: )its not too difficult to get whats being said...but the visuals and the music (especially in the ice palace) are truly stunning.Certainly a memorable film... ^

barrett
Living room

Post by barrett »

sound world wrote:'Sawdust and Tinsel' has always been a favourite-it actually really reminds me of my own time as part of a theatre company,crazily intense.
And did you catch 'Autumn Sonata'? Not such a great film but a staggering performance by Liv Ullman.
Our TV aerial has just been upgraded-living in the woods miles from a main transmitter has meant that we'd watch a lot of things in freeze-frame,while Film Four just was hopeless,so most of those Bergman-type films I missed (eg 'Summer with Monika',on the other day,which I'd love to see again). But now it works a charm!!
Yeah,i agree re Autumn Sonata,the excellent acting makes watching it imperative...i recently had a summer Bergman watchfest of Summer with Monica,A Summer Interlude and Smiles on a Summer Night...all wonderful films...trying to make up for the crap summers we keep getting here...its thunder and lightning at the the moment :roll:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

barrett wrote:...the bad news is that d/l has Spanish subtitles,but luckily theres very little dialogue and with a minimum of Spanish (ie:Un cerveza frio por favor :mrgreen: )its not too difficult to get whats being said
Que? :mrgreen:
barrett wrote:...but the visuals and the music (especially in the ice palace) are truly stunning.
That 'track' is called 'The Fortress of Death'

barrett
Living room

Post by barrett »

barrett wrote:...but the visuals and the music (especially in the ice palace) are truly stunning.
That 'track' is called 'The Fortress of Death'[/quote]

That would make sense...but lets not spoil it for Dave... :!:

BTW ,I've found an English translation of the dialogue for Is-Slottet on the IMDb board by Rob59...I wonder who that could be :shock: :mrgreen: ...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097594/board/nest/53830051