The Bothersome Man

Watched a good movie?
barrett
Living room

The Bothersome Man

Post by barrett »

Whilst were on a Norwegian film subject,I've just noticed this Norway/icelandic film is on BBC2 tonight at 02.15.A 40 year old man arrives in a strange city,with no idea how he got there...sounds a bit "The Prisoner" ish to me ...certainly looks interesting...Anyone seen it ?...

RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Re: The Bothersome Man

Post by RobB »

TV Choice magazine describes it as 'Dark and depressed Norwegian science-fiction tale'.
I think its worth setting my video recorder up to tape it.
Thanks for highlighting it. :)

I watched the film this morning and raelly enjoyed it.

Its quite a surreal black comedy where a guy without memory arrives by coach at a dessert filling station where the owner then drives him by car into a modern city where the guy is given a job and an appartment. None of his colleagues seem to relate to each other,other than a very superficial way. Everyone appears happy but live purposeless lives.

Our hero soon finds out that he's the odd one out and that he's also indestructable.

In many ways the film is a morality play on how superficial modern life and modern relationships can be and as the ending of the film shows,sometimes its better to accept how things are.The grass may be greener on the other side,but if you fail to reach it, the consequences can be dire.

barrett
Living room

Post by barrett »

Shit,shit shit,i had Sky running but forgot to press record on my dvd player... :! :( ...Did anyone see it ?...

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

tell you what,why don't you treat yourself to the dvd? :)

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3512163/ ... oduct.html

barrett
Living room

Post by barrett »

RobB wrote:tell you what,why don't you treat yourself to the dvd? :)

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3512163/ ... oduct.html
Nah mate...they cost money...i'll wait til i can d/l it... :mrgreen: or its shown again... [angel]

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Good grief,you'll be saying next that you go round other people dustbins scavenging for food? :mrgreen:

barrett
Living room

Post by barrett »

No...supermarket skips are the best... :wink:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

d.a.walker
Bathroom

Post by d.a.walker »

This is one of my all time favourites. I have a treasured and much watched copy of the DVD. ^

It's an allegory on life after death, the city very much a representation of limbo, the lack of emotion and feeling as well as human connection, it's comfortable but ultimately dull, heaven is clearly represented by the beautiful shining light and images through the hole in the basement of a building, showing rich beautiful colours, delicious food, comforting sounds, and then finally hell as the cold, deafening and never ending blizzard at the end. The bus serves as the ferry between the life and death.

It's such a rich film, and wonderfully blackly comedic. I just love the deadpan reaction of the girlfriend when he arrives back at the flat coverered in bloody after being hit by the train. :lol:

If you enjoy this film also check out another Scandinavian gem, You, The Living, it's absolutely marvellous. ^

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0445336/
I dreamed of 747's, over geometric farms...