What is your favorite movie?

Watched a good movie?
blue
Bedroom

Re: What is your favorite movie?

Post by blue »

'Moon' is on my amazon wish list, I usually treat myself to a couple of secondhand DVDs every pay day, so I'll get it next month. I wanted to see it primarily because Kevin Spacey voices the computer and he's a favourite actor of mine, but having seen clips of the film on youtube it looks interesting anyway.

Rob you've described The Others beautifully. It is a wonderfully atmospheric, old-fashioned ghost story, very subtle in its effects and genuinely scary at points. The performances are uniformly great, particularly Nicole Kidman who captures the spirit of the 1940s style of acting very well and makes it believable to a modern audience. For me the story has resonances that give it real emotional power: solitude, darkness, the unknowable things of childhood, the fog of the world outside. A mother trying desperately to do her best despite her grief and isolation. It just strikes a bell in the soul, this film.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

sound world
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by sound world »

Thanks both! sounds intriguing.
I won't watch the trailer, RobB (I hate trailers anyway).
Actually, I might not even get to watch the film. These days I tend to get outvoted by the rest of my family on what to watch on TV. They both think (with some justification) that what I tend to watch is too serious and glum... :(

Meanwhile this Saturday I'm off round to a friends to watch 'Melancholia', really looking forward to that.

Beth-another film you'd really enjoy, and maybe RobB too-it's actually a documentary, brilliantly done-is 'The Imposter' ( released last year or the year before). Full of twists, quite unsettling and totally gripping.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:Beth-another film you'd really enjoy, and maybe RobB too-it's actually a documentary, brilliantly done-is 'The Imposter' ( released last year or the year before). Full of twists, quite unsettling and totally gripping.
Funnily enough The Imposter is high on my 'wants' list.....its funny how we tend to all like the same kind of films? Melancholia is an excellent film which i'm sure you'll enjoy.

Try 'Take Shelter' as well,that's another terrific understated film with great acting.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

blue wrote:'Rob you've described The Others beautifully.
hmmm....i think your description was a bit more elegantly written? :mrgreen:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Thank you, kind sir.

We've noticed before that we tend to have similar tastes in movies, Rob there was one time we did our lists when you and I had about 5 or 6 of the same films! I'm sure if we did expanded lists, say a top 30, we'd notice it even more.

I'll add Take Shelter and Melancholia to my wishlist.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Dave I'm sure you've told me about The Imposter before and I just forgot all about it, I'll go to amazon now and add it before I forget again!

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Well, I missed 'The Others'-we ended up playing a game together instead. Which is fine, of course-a bit of family bonding is always good. I'll have to catch The Others on DVD sometime.

But I did see 'Melancholia' and still feel haunted by it a couple of days on. Definitely worth seeing, although it's a bit self-indulgent. There's some amazingly beautiful footage, strong acting, excellent use of music (Wagner's Prelude and Liebestod from Tristan-very effective, even though I am allergic to Wagner) and the whole treatment of depression and melancholia is sensitively handled. Ultimately it's quite a stoic, optimistic film.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

'Melancholia' was a dvd that I bought simply on the strength of its cover but I had no regrets, its a very good film with a powerful ending. I even ducked. 8) :lol:

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Hey, RobB, thanks for sending me the DVD! That was a nice surprise, especially as I've been thinking 'I must watch the US version sometime'. Now I can!

And one of the things that struck me about 'Melancholia' is that it's quite heavily influenced by Tarkovsky (he who directed the original 'Solaris')-very similar in many respects to Tarkovsky's last film 'Sacrifice', and some specific references to 'Solaris' itself-eg Breughel's 'Hunters in the snow', which Justine puts up instead of one of Claire's pictures, is a key element of reference in the original 'Solaris' (and also in Tarkovsky's 'Mirror').
And the slow-motion, the sense of nature as an elemental force, the use of music, the planet itself having a tangible reality ('melancholia') etc etc...

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:Hey, RobB, thanks for sending me the DVD! That was a nice surprise, especially as I've been thinking 'I must watch the US version sometime'. Now I can!
You're very welcome. Sorry I couldn't send it in a proper case but it wouldn't fit in the envelope. Hopefully you'll have a spare case somewhere? Anyway, hope you enjoy Solaris as much as Beth and I do? :)