Cameras.

Talk about everything here
blue
Bedroom

Cameras.

Post by blue »

I haven't owned a camera for quite some time, not since the advent of those digital things, anyway. I'm thinkin about getting one, and I would like some input from the camera-loving types as to what I should get. Here are the things you need to know:

1. I am poor

2. I am useless with any technology more complicated than a toaster

3. I am not a photographer

GO!

And remember - too much technology talk makes Baby Jesus cry.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

alx5962
Bedroom

Re: Cameras.

Post by alx5962 »

1st thing to know: more millions pixels doesn't mean a better image. So to buy a 6/8 Millions pixels is always enough for almost everyone. And as the standard is now 10/12 Mpixels the 6/8 are cheaper. Too many people are wrong at this, as it's the sensor size which is the most important, not the pixel size.

Digital zoom = bad so only focus on the real thing

Very thin cameras may be looking better outside, but inside technology is not that beautiful as a camera need some mechanical for a good image. So a fatter camera can brings a better image most of the time.

Sony are using expensive memory cards, so prefer other brands using SD cards which are very cheap (you can store hundreds of hi-quality photos for less than 10 € on these)
I believe in your smile everyday
But I know that you're far from my way
When I talk to the moon I can hear you
In the dark I can see, I can feel your light

RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by RobB »

I bought a silver Canon digital IXUS 80 IS last year and i've been very happy with it.

I bought it from Amazon when they were selling it for £125 but I see now that its back to its original price of £190.
However,the pink and brown colours are still at around £123 so if you don't mind the colour,go for one of them.
The camera has 8MP which is absolutely fine for prints.

Basically shop around as you can pick up some good bargains these days as cameras like computers are out of date after six months and many stores are quick to off-load outdated stock.

kuhn
Bedroom

Post by kuhn »

RobB wrote:I bought a silver Canon digital IXUS 80 IS last year and i've been very happy with it.

I bought it from Amazon when they were selling it for £125 but I see now that its back to its original price of £190.
However,the pink and brown colours are still at around £123 so if you don't mind the colour,go for one of them.
The camera has 8MP which is absolutely fine for prints.

Basically shop around as you can pick up some good bargains these days as cameras like computers are out of date after six months and many stores are quick to off-load outdated stock.
I also have a very similar Canon camera. It is easy to use, even for me.

Right on about the bargains.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

I'd like to hear some tips from Elfy if he's around. Elfy takes some of the best pictures I've ever seen. ^

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Thanks chaps, much appreciated. Alex, very helpful, thank you (and for keeping it simple :D). Rob, I'll see if I can find that one on Amazon and have a look, I don't mind pink or brown!

Are they fairly simple to use? I mean can you just point and shoot, without having to mess around with a lot of settings and stuff?

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

I use mine on the automatic setting and it is vitually point and shoot.

The only drawback with buying the Canon camera is that the user manual is on a cd and i just can't be bothered loading it up and reading the instructions on the computer.

So i've only read the basic written manual that was included but really,thats all you need for taking straight forward shots.

Perhaps if you wanted to enlarge your photos into posters you would need a better quality camera but for normal family / holidays shots for prints than IXUS 80 is recommended. Its got good reviews on Amazon as well.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Yes, I only want it for ordinary domestic photography, nothing fancy. The one you've got looks pretty good, so I think I might go for that.

All the ones I've looked at have the manual on CD.

aftersea
Hallway

Post by aftersea »

and why not a film camera?

they're ridiculously cheap now! on flea market or ebay!

olympus mju 2(or mju ii...or mju II) is a great little point & shoot camera! you can find hardly used ones for 30£/40£!

and rolls are still easy to find!

you get:

high quality pictures!
great colours!
negatives( unless you burn them, they will still be there in 150 years...what about digital? ahh)
and the best: black&white films! you can't get such beautiful B & W with digital cameras!

the worst part is that you have to pay to get your film developped! it's cheap though!

do you prefer quality or quantity? it's up to you! :mrgreen:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

I agree, but I didn't think they made proper cameras anymore! I'd much rather have one of those, but I literally can't find any for sale - it's all digital everywhere you look, at least for the mass market.

I suppose digital is more convenient, but yeah - film rules. ^

d.a.walker
Bathroom

Post by d.a.walker »

Sorry I'm just as hopeless with cameras. All i can say about mine is that it is silver small and shiny and takes photos. Anything beyond this is alien to me. :lol:
I dreamed of 747's, over geometric farms...

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Fast forward two months,.....Beth,did you ever get your camera? :)

picsou
Kitchen

Post by picsou »

Just bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ28 for our daughter. Very pleased she is! She has an eye (our daughter), very impressive! :shock:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Panasonic are a pretty good make.I don't think you'll go far wrong with that model.
I've never owned a camera by them though although my tv and dvd player are both panasonic and have been very reliable.

picsou
Kitchen

Post by picsou »

RobB wrote:Panasonic are a pretty good make.I don't think you'll go far wrong with that model.
I've never owned a camera by them though although my tv and dvd player are both panasonic and have been very reliable.

The optics are Leica, if I am not mistaken, which is good guarantee! And 27-486 mm zoom.
I also had a Panasonic "ghetto-blaster" sort of radio/CD player during my student's days. I saw it at my sister's not long ago. :mrgreen: