How are you today?

Talk about everything here
blue
Bedroom

Re: How are you today?

Post by blue »

Ha, commission would be nice but I don't think it will happen!

I'm pleased with how we did in our first full week, we took nearly 5 grand. Some of our old customers still won't know yet that we've reopened, so I think we've done well.

It's very quiet today though (so quiet that I am browsing the web on my phone!), I've had a grand total of 30 customers so far. It must be the appearance of the sun for the first time in what feels like years, everyone will be out in their gardens I expect.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by RobB »

I seldom shop on a Sunday and our shop doesn't open on Sundays because of subdued trading in town. Most people are in their gardens,at the seaside or at carboot sales,especially on a sunny Sunday. lol

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Doesn't seem that long back that some people were outraged at the idea of shops being open on a Sunday...
I remember as a kid not being allowed to go out and play with my friends on a Sunday-anyone else recall that?

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:I remember as a kid not being allowed to go out and play with my friends on a Sunday-anyone else recall that?
I don't remember any childhood Sunday restrictions like that to be honest.

What I do remember though (and this was drummed into me on any day of the week) was my parents telling me:

'You can stay in or you can stay out but you're not going keep coming in and out.' :mrgreen:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

I remember that too Rob! I think every kid gets told that. :mrgreen:

I come from a religious background so Sunday was always about Mass, first and foremost, then visiting family or having them come visit us, and although there wasn't a ban on going out to play we were all expected to be around the house while we had visitors. I was the oldest of a big group of cousins so it wasn't too bad, we'd just sit under the table and whisper rude words while the adults talked above us. :mrgreen:

Sunday is a quiet shopping day for small shops like ours, but trust me, you don't want to go into a supermarket on a Sunday, or a place like the one I've just left. I used to do a 7 hour shift in there on a Sunday and I was literally pinned to the till every minute of it, apart from a half hour break. Absolutely manic, queues off every till. *shudders*

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Mostly for Beth, who'll understand....
My old pussycat Tatty died last Monday - she was (approximately) 16 years old, or 110+ in human years.
She was a tabby and looked almost exactly like the cat in my avatar (except for the cans, natch :lol: )

We got her via a circuitous route -she and her sister belonged to a friend of ours who had to get rid of them because someone moved into her house who was allergic to cats; next they went to my partner's Mum, who was in her late 80s and died a year or so later. From there they were taken on by someone we didn't know who answered an ad, and turned out to be a basket case. She rang me one day to say that Tatty was 'evil' and was 'trying to blame various evil occurrences on her sister cat'.

So we rescued her from there and she came to live with us...that was at least 13 years ago. Nobody can remember for sure.
Being out here in the country, with only a quiet track which goes nowhere much outside our front door, I thought she stood a good chance of being the first cat I have owned or loved to have a natural death, not beneath the wheels of a car.
And so it proved-she died on our sofa at midnight, very old and tired. A couple of weeks previously we suddenly realised that she could barely see anything-or hear anything-she was able to blunder about, get up and down stairs, locate her food and catflap-but she was clearly almost totally blind, and we felt awful that she might have been that way for a while.
But I don't think so-she might have had a stroke, I think now.
The day she died, we realised that we hadn't seen her for a few hours; after a hunt, I discovered her under my son's drumkit, wedged between some stands, trying to creep away to die, I think. It was obvious that she was on the way out, was barely conscious-perhaps another stroke. I didn't want to get a vet in, so we just looked after her downstairs and let her die with dignity and love.

Strange coincidence-I've been writing singing rounds for my friends' birthdays this year, and I was due to write one that evening for a friend who is a Buddhist, whose birthday was the next day. Thinking about my poor pussycat, I remembered I had a book, 'The cat who went to heaven', a Buddhist story - so I opened it up and found a perfect four-line poem about the Buddha which comes just after the cat dies at the end of the story. So I sat with my own ailing cat and worked at my Round, and an hour or so later, I thought 'it's finished'-and looked over and realised that Tatty had died...

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Sorry to read about the loss of tatty,Dave....16 is a pretty good age though and it sounds like she had a great life at your home. :)

We had a cat called Tids.......he was discovered in our back yard as a tiny kitten. Someone must have put him in there as there was no way he could have got in there unaided. We had him 17 years and he died in front of the coal fire one winter. He was sprawled out on the rug asleep,sneezed once and that was the end of Tids.
I hope I go the same way 8) .......not sprawled out on the rug though. :mrgreen:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Oh Dave, I'm so sorry you've lost Tatty. [b)]

It's amazing how much it feels like a member of the family is gone, when you've had an animal that long. She did jolly well though to get to that age, she was obviously well looked after.

And at least she was in her own familiar surroundings at the end.

My oldest cat Blue is now 13, and I daresay the time will be coming in the next few years when she is no longer with me, which I am dreading. When I come back from work, she's always sitting on the corner of the road waiting for me when I get off the bus, even though I work different shifts and am coming home at different times. I could never work out how she manages to be there, until one day when I got off the bus and walked down a different way toward my road. I saw her run up to the corner as the bus went down the road, look to see if I was there, then turn back toward home. It dawned on me that she must do that with every single bus that goes down the road.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Thanks Beth.

Apparently there was a programme about cats on the other night which suggested that although dogs (and babies) have a deep bond with key people, cats basically don't give a flying fuck so long as they get fed/strokes etc.
That's not my experience-and reading about Blue waiting for the bus, not yours either.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Oh that annoys the hell out of me when I read it, anyone who has cats knows it's just not true. The difference between cats and dogs in that sense is that cats bond with one particular person in the family whereas dogs regard themselves as part of the 'pack' so are equally affectionate/loyal with everyone. My cats will literally follow me from room to room when I'm at home, they always want to be where I am.

On the subject of cats versus dogs, this made me laugh:
Attachments
1001777_593006014064298_408425340_n.jpg
1001777_593006014064298_408425340_n.jpg (35.67 KiB) Viewed 13198 times

Angie
Kitchen

Post by Angie »

Hello, Stina board. [akiss]

Dave, what a nice story about Tatty - as nice a story about a cat passing away can be. The poem/song coincidence is wonderful. Our two cats are getting up there, I think they're about 10 and 12 years old, and it's difficult to believe they're reaching their senior years. Or are already in them, I guess.

Beth, I hope the new/old job is continuing to go well! And a great story about your cat, too! She sure must get a lot of exercise, checking on the buses like that. :)

Things are going well here, nothing too exciting but no news is good news and all that. But I wanted to check in and "see" the group, those remaining anyway. Hope everyone's enjoying the summer. It's sweltering here this week, around 90 degrees F, but I tend to like it that way, as I've probably mentioned before.

Anyone have any trips planned or anything?

alx5962
Bedroom

Post by alx5962 »

Angie wrote: Anyone have any trips planned or anything?
I'll be in London for 2 days in exactly 13 days !
For once nothing special planned, I just wanted to go to London to buy new tshirts :mrgreen:
I believe in your smile everyday
But I know that you're far from my way
When I talk to the moon I can hear you
In the dark I can see, I can feel your light

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Long way to go for some t-shirts! don't they sell them in France? :lol:

Alex can you look at the 'Stina Time-Line' thread? STRMBRG needs your help getting the Slitz interview up on the board.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Angie wrote:Hello, Stina board. [akiss]

Dave, what a nice story about Tatty - as nice a story about a cat passing away can be. The poem/song coincidence is wonderful. Our two cats are getting up there, I think they're about 10 and 12 years old, and it's difficult to believe they're reaching their senior years. Or are already in them, I guess.

Beth, I hope the new/old job is continuing to go well! And a great story about your cat, too! She sure must get a lot of exercise, checking on the buses like that. :)

Things are going well here, nothing too exciting but no news is good news and all that. But I wanted to check in and "see" the group, those remaining anyway. Hope everyone's enjoying the summer. It's sweltering here this week, around 90 degrees F, but I tend to like it that way, as I've probably mentioned before.

Anyone have any trips planned or anything?
Hi again, Angie, nice to see some old faces around here! Thanks for your nice comments. I'm really glad my pussycat had a straightforward ending, I don't feel sad about her now.
I am quite looking forward to getting a kitten sometime! but I'll leave it for a while. We get a lot of rare birds in our garden, and we're birdlovers too, so we'll let them have a chance for the time being.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

alx5962 wrote:For once nothing special planned, I just wanted to go to London to buy new tshirts :mrgreen:
I had a feeling that the rumour that Bill Gates has been sending you begging letters was true,Alex. :mrgreen:

Good to read that you are keeping well, Angie. Its quite hot in the UK at the moment too, it was 86 degrees F here yesterday which is plenty warm enough for me.