Moving to Melbourne

Talk about everything here
picsou
Kitchen

Moving to Melbourne

Post by picsou »

Still a lot of pain to go through, but the tickets are bought, the dog is almost ready, we have a flat for the first month. Hope it will not take me as long as here (Switzerland) to find a job, that I will be able to keep on cycling more than once a week, that some friends (you are all welcome!!!!) will come and visit.

blue
Bedroom

Re: Moving to Melbourne

Post by blue »

How exciting!! I know it's difficult and sad to leave a place you've lived in for a while, but just think of the new adventure awaiting you. A chance to get to know a different part of the world and a different culture. I envy you so much! ^
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by RobB »

Good luck with the move,hope it goes smoothly for you all. :)

picsou
Kitchen

Post by picsou »

:! :!

The worst so far: moving the dog! He is a pug (flat nose). First was Qantas supposed to fly him, but they changed their mind. Then another company, flying him from Zurich. And yesterday, when they've known for weeks that he is a pug, they said no, can't do it he's a flat nose dog. Yes, right, he is flying the 9th of September. New offer: flying from Amsterdam. Brilliant. How do we get him there? We can come and pick him up: 2500 CHF it will cost you!!!! :shock: Irina (my wife) asked me if I would drive him to Amsterdam. Hum, well, no! It's a bloody 1000 km one way!!! And his ticket to Melbourne is also not cheap, actually more expensive than ours!!! [b)] [b)] [b)]
About 15% of the lump sum we got for our moving just for that beast of ours! :!

I need a glass of wine! :mrgreen:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

picsou wrote:And yesterday, when they've known for weeks that he is a pug, they said no, can't do it he's a flat nose dog.
If i were your dog i'd be seriously thinking now about suing the airline for discrimination against dogs with flat noses! 8)

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

I don't live near Amsterdam (two hours driving from there) but if you decide to drive to Amsterdam, you can get a good night sleep here in Enschede, if you need that.

Good luck in Melbourne!

picsou
Kitchen

Post by picsou »

pgss wrote:I don't live near Amsterdam (two hours driving from there) but if you decide to drive to Amsterdam, you can get a good night sleep here in Enschede, if you need that.

Good luck in Melbourne!

Too bad, it was too late.

Anyway, 3 weeks in Melbourne. In a serviced apartment, small, very boring. but we are moving to nice and big apartment next thursday. ^
Spent yesterday looking for furniture. In the end we decided to buy from IKEA instead of renting bland stuff, which is actually very expensive. Were lucky while walking to IKEA to find a very nice sofa on sales. Also went in a store looking for fridge, washer,...and luck again, a very nice, professional guy, not trying to sell us the hip and expense stuff (for ex a cheap vacuum cleaner instead of a Dyson costing more than 3 times as much).
Kiwi, the dog, is doing well. 8) But, he is staying at the quarantine centre until Nov 20! :! They counted the 150 days after rabies test wrong. Which makes it 71 days at the centre. :shock:
Weatherwise, not very warm so far, very unstable, quite wet. And a few cold days, which had us suffer in our spring-only clothes (all the warm jumpers and jackets are on the boat). Last anoying news, our stuff is not reaching us before December. [b)] I will miss my bikes very much. Will have to rent! :mrgreen: