facebook requests

Talk about everything here
blue
Bedroom

facebook requests

Post by blue »

I've had a couple of 'friends' requests from board members on facebook, just to let you know I'm not being rude, I just don't have facebook or twitter or myspace or anything like that because ... I don't know how to work them. Or what they're about. :D

*technophobe*
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Re: facebook requests

Post by RobB »

erm.....how can you have 'friends' requests on facebook if you're not on facebook? :mrgreen:

Me and Alex are friends on facebook 8) ........we ignore each other but we're still friends. :mrgreen:

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Yes, I was thinking the same. Surely you have to have an a/c first?
If not,God help us.
I have a Facebook a/c but something about Facebook gives me the heeby-jeebies, so I don't use it and I'm afraid I ignore all the requests...
I've also tried to leave....but beware,it's just about impossible. :!

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:I have a Facebook a/c but something about Facebook gives me the heeby-jeebies, so I don't use it and I'm afraid I ignore all the requests...
You wouldn't ignore a request from little ol me would you? [angel]
sound world wrote: I've also tried to leave....but beware,it's just about impossible. :!
Bit like being here and at home isn't it really? :mrgreen:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

RobB wrote:erm.....how can you have 'friends' requests on facebook if you're not on facebook? :mrgreen:
The requests have come via email. They're in French so I might be misinterpreting, but I think they're requests to sign up to facebook and be the senders 'friend'. I don't understand what facebook is/does or how to work it essentially so I won't be signing up, I just don't want the people who've sent the emails to think I'm snubbing them! :D

They might be some sort of automated request, maybe? I had one like that from my boss a while back, asking me to sign up for something called Bebo. I went into work all ' I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS LEAVE ME ALONE' and she was like 'It's an automated request to everyone in my address book, divvy', which was quite embarrassing. :D :D

witchy
Living room

Post by witchy »

Ehum, I have both Facebook and My Space accounts, more active on Facebook, when I have the energy to try some social life out there...I write almost regularly with Elfy, these things work only if you put effort on it, like any other social contact...so, I don't know if you care or not, but I'm there... :I I would love to add you to my friends Beth, please!!!
"Superero' le correnti gravitazionali, lo spazio e la luce per non farti invecchiare. Ti salvero' da ogni malinconia, perche' sei un essere speciale ed io avro' cura di te ... Io si', che avro' cura di te" F.Battiato

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

I have admit that I only really use facebook to make contact with artists I like. Its quite handy when they have a facebook account but don't have a website and when I don't know their email address.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

witchy wrote: I would love to add you to my friends Beth, please!!!
If I ever find out what facebook actually is and how to be on it and what you do there, I'll definitely be your friend! :D

The trouble is you can't get on there to have a look at it and find out about it unless you're already a member. I don't want to sign up to be a member of something when I don't know what the hell it is! Aarghh!!

Can someone explain to me, in simple terms, what it is?

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Its a website where you can look up and contact other members. But there are privacy settlings so that you can restrict the info being displayed to those who are 'friends' of your choosing.

No one can be your 'friend' and see your info unless you give them permission. You can also send and receive private messages which are not openly displayed on screen.

If,for example,you were my 'friend' you would become apart of my huge group of friends......currently about 7. :mrgreen:
You would be able to see who my other friends were and you would be able to see all my communications with my other friends but not vice versa. Unless they were your friends too of course.

Although you need to have an email address as part of your registration, you do have the option of hiding it.

Really, I think you should just register and try it out for yourself. You don't have to add any photos if you don't want and you can keep personal info to a bare minimum. But if you want people to find you, then you really need your full name. If you don't want people to find you and you want to just be the one making contact then it doesn't really matter so much.

I've had no problems with facebook anyway.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

OK, thanks for that Rob.

Doesn't sound like it's for me, but I'll think on.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

What I find creepy about it is that,having got hold of your email address,they use it to link to other people who you have emailed/are in your address book,and send you AND THEM AND THEIR FRIENDS innocuous messages with 'other people you may know',which is fair enough in one way,but a REAL invasion of privacy in another.All kinds of people you forgot years ago are raked up.Of course you don't have to respond to any of it or be public,but I still find it decidedly creepy. Creepy partly because of the modern tendency to make everything a LCD.Yuk.
Also,despite what they say,it can be hacked-look up 'Hack Facebook' on Google,and you'll see.
Also,as I already said,if you try and leave Facebook,it's almost impossible and your details remain.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

yes, this 'other people you may know' listing is a bit off......especially as i never seem to know them anyway. :mrgreen:

But there is always going to be a risk to privacy which is why i tend to keep my profile low-key but really,anyone who is genuinely concerned about privacy/security issues, would do well to keep off the internet altogether.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Well, given that my past is fairly littered with people I never want to see or hear from again, I think I'll pass on this. :D :D

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Probably a wise decision then. :mrgreen: