anti-spam: No

Dear Jean.......love Queenie

Post by RobB »

Coventry
February 10th

Dear Jean

Thank you very much for your letter.
It was a surprise to hear from you.
Your Gran tells us how tall you have grown so I probably would not recognise you now.
I can remember when you and James came to see us in Coventry
but that would be five or six years ago so I don't suppose you would remember me.
Perhaps when I am better I could come to Colchester for a holiday.
I have never been before.

We also had a quiet xmas. I think most people did this time.
There was not anything to buy, presents were a problem. I bought my friends
stockings, they were very pleased with them as it saved them three coupens each.
I had a red velvet work bag off them fitted with different coloured reels of silks,
a thimble, tape measure, needles,darning mushroom and crochet hooks, also a knitting bag.

They are both useful as I do a lot of knitting and sewing while I am in bed. I have just finished
a vest for such a big fat woman. I am fat but you could put me and someone else in it
together, so you will guess how wide it is.

Now I am knitting some vests for my brother's baby girl, her name is Gillian and she is 10 months old.
Raymond, my brother, is in the RAF and is stationed in North Africa. He was in Italy for a short time too.

The soldier called Fred who calls to see your Gran is my cousin and he lives quite near us.
Next time you see Jack Murrells will you ask him if he will take me to the pictures when I next see him,probbaly after the war? Just for fun.

I am glad you are getting on well with your piano lessons. It is nice to be able to play, you know, people often want someone to play to them at parties.
I started to learn but after working all day I didn't want to stay in and practice.
I wish I had now as I should like to be able to play.
I think I shall start learning again when and if I am able.

I used to work at the Dunlop in the drawing office, as a tracer, that is a sort of lady draughtsman. I don't know if you will understand that sort of work but it is to do with aeroplanes and tanks. They make one sort of wheel and when it is finished with the tyre on it stands over 10 feet high. That is for the 'York' bomber. I am not giving infomation away-at-all. It is a real big factory, there were eighty in our office alone so there must be thousands working there.

Well Jean, I keep writing a bit more but I must close now and do a bit more to my knitting.
Please excuse my scribble, it is awkward writing in bed.
Give my love to your Gran, Grandad,Billie and all at home.
Love,
Queenie

RobB
Bedroom

Re: Dear Jean.......love Queenie

Post by RobB »

The above letter was written to my aunt on 10th February 1945 by Queenie Carter.

Queenie was to die from TB six months later.

In memory of Queenie Carter 1923 - 1945

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Gosh, she was only 22 years old. :?

We take so much for granted these days don't we, the near-eradication of all these diseases that regularly took children and young people just a few generations ago. TB was pretty rife in the 40s, from what I've read.

Interesting to hear a young woman writing about her work as a 'lady draughtsman' in an aircraft factory as well. She must have been very proud to be involved in that.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

As Queenie mentioned in her letter she was already virtually bedridden and its just very sad to think that although she still hoped that one day she would be well enough to go on a date and also to visit Jean, her health never did improve.

Its odd to think that had she lived, she'd be 87 years of age now.
It was a double tragedy for the family as her sister Audrey,had also died from TB seven years earlier, aged just 20.

Their mother whilst in old age, kept two white poodles which some thought were in memory of her two lost daughters.