tech help - Can't download new Flash player.

Talk about everything here
blue
Bedroom

Re: tech help - youtube

Post by blue »

alx5962 wrote:Firefox is a modern browser and not IE6/IE7; many similar problems will appear in a distant future so if your don't plan to upgrade your browser.
This doesn't appear to be a browser problem though Alex, it's something to do with the computer Registry, and I know enough to know you don't mess with that unless you know exactly what you're doing, which I don't.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

RobB wrote:Beth, although it hasn't come out very well, i hope the piccie below will ease some of your withdrawl symptoms? :mrgreen:

:D :D :D

Damn, I'm gonna miss them boots. [b)]

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

I discovered last night that I can't now watch or listen to stuff on other websites as well because of this damn Flash thing - even the music players on the orchestra sites I visit won't work now, which is bloody annoying. There's no visuals involved there so why they need Flash to work I don't know. [censor]

Ah well, back to the technology underclass for me.

wirbel
Bathroom

Post by wirbel »

At least you can still visit this board. :wink:
But I hope you will find a solution other than installing windows new again.
-I am a true Believer-

alx5962
Bedroom

Post by alx5962 »

Google Chrome has Flash embedded so it may works on this browser.

have you tried to uninstall Flash, reboot and reinstall it ?
I believe in your smile everyday
But I know that you're far from my way
When I talk to the moon I can hear you
In the dark I can see, I can feel your light

RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by RobB »

Another thing i'd try is to use the 'system restore' facility on your computer and return its settings to an earlier date,before all the YouTube problems began.

That will effectively undo all the changes that has (may have?) occured on your pc since your chosen date.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

alx5962 wrote:Google Chrome has Flash embedded so it may works on this browser.
I have an option to install that, but if it's this latest version of Flash that's embedded, won't it have the same problem seeing as it's a Registry issue? :?:

I dunno, I don't understand all this stuff and it just frustrates the hell out of me. The Flash player I had was working perfectly well. I don't know why an upgraded version has to mean people are forced to use it or not be able to access certain sites. I read up on the new version on the Adobe homepage, apparently it's been driven by the advent of HD and the need to improve graphics for people who use the internet on their mobile phones. Well, that's fine by me, but not everyone wants HD or uses the internet that way, so why discontinue support for the older versions that many people were using quite happily? Why take away the choice? It's totally unnecessary and unfair.
Alex wrote:have you tried to uninstall Flash, reboot and reinstall it ?
It didn't actually install in the first place Alex, that's the whole problem. I tried multiple times to install it and each time got the message about the Active X control not being registered. This is what's preventing it from installing.

What's particularly annoying is that you are instructed to uninstall any previous version of Flash before downloading the new one. This I did, so now I don't have a Flash player at all, and every link I've followed to download an older one again takes me to the new one that won't install.

I got my own back, though. Last night I listened to music. ON THE RADIO. Ha. Take that and stick it up your jumper, Adobe.

*Every technological cloud has an old-skool silver lining*

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

RobB wrote:Another thing i'd try is to use the 'system restore' facility on your computer and return its settings to an earlier date,before all the YouTube problems began.

That will effectively undo all the changes that has (may have?) occured on your pc since your chosen date.
I wouldn't have a clue how to do that, Rob. I'm not joking when I say I know nothing about computers except how to switch them on.

Also, it wouldn't restore the Flash player I had originally as that's been uninstalled per the instructions for downloading the new one.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

blue wrote:I wouldn't have a clue how to do that, Rob. I'm not joking when I say I know nothing about computers except how to switch them on.
I don't know as more than you really so i wouldn't worry too much about that.

The thing about 'uninstalling' any program is that the action can be reversed, which is the principle on how 'system restore' operates.

I don't know which version of Windows you are using but here's what i do on Windows XP.

Click on Start (lower left hand corner of screen when connected to the internet), then from the contents list,select 'Help and Support'.

Once on that page,if you can't see a link to 'System Restore' anywhere,just type system restore in the search box,press search and you should be taken to the System Restore page contents list.

From there its just a matter of following a few simple instructions. You'll be presented with a callander with various 'restore point' dates. I'd select a date in early February to be on the safe side and then follow the instructions to restore all your computers settings to that date.

So programs that you have uninstalled since that date will be reinstalled and programs you have installed will be uninstalled. In theory your computer will operate exactly how it did on that chosen date.

Items like emails etc will be unaffected

I can't guarantee this will work but if i was in your position then i'd definately try it. You've nothing to lose really.

Here's the official explanation with another route to system restore.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... em-Restore

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

RobB wrote:
The thing about 'uninstalling' any program is that the action can be reversed, which is the principle on how 'system restore' operates.

So programs that you have uninstalled since that date will be reinstalled and programs you have installed will be uninstalled. In theory your computer will operate exactly how it did on that chosen date.
Oh wow, really? So I could get my old Flash player back, then. That would be something. I think I need to try this. Thanks Rob, much appreciated. ^

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Any luck? :)

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

I've been at my daughter's most of the day Rob so I've not had a go yet, I'll probably do it on my next day off so I can spend the day crying privately when it all goes horribly wrong. :D

You know my luck with computers. [b)]

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Fingers crossed that it will work. :)

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Just to update this, in case any poor souls out there are tearing their hair out and searching the 'net for a solution to this frustrating issue, I've managed to fix the problem using this link:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html

This is the SubinACL download that sorts out the registry issue - I decided to risk it, and despite the warnings about it potentially messing up your whole system if not done correctly, it's actually not too scary. Just follow the instructions to the letter, and I would advise that when the page with instructions comes up you make a written note of them, because once it's in progress you can't go back to that page to check.

Once this fix was in place I was able to download the new Flash player with no trouble at all. ^

I've changed the topic title so that it will hopefully come up in an internet search for anyone needing help with it.