tech help - Can't download new Flash player.

Talk about everything here
blue
Bedroom

tech help - Can't download new Flash player.

Post by blue »

Morning, is anyone else having problems viewing Youtube today? I can't watch anything on there because stupid *(%&%& Adobe have decided to upgrade their Flash player (thanks chaps, the previous version was working perfectly well). I've tried to download the new version but I keep getting a message saying 'Active X cannot be registered.' I've followed the instructions on the download troubleshooting page but nada.

Why the hell can't they just leave things alone? [censor]

Alex?

*edit*

Just had a scout around and it looks like loads of people are having problems with it. I've tried adding http://www.adobe.com to my trusted sites, lowering the security etc etc, but it's still not working. I can't find anything specifically relating to this error message I'm getting about it not being registered.

*edit*

Right, I've found someone on a forum who had the same problem, but the solution apparently involves downloading something that alters your PC's registry and could result in losing the entire system! OK!

Thanks, adobe. I spent too much time watching youtube anyway. :roll:
Last edited by blue on Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Re: tech help - youtube

Post by RobB »

Just tried YouTube and everything is still working fine for me.

I have had pop-up windows saying that the new Adobe flash thingy is available but i havn't bothered to download it yet.
Don't think i will now either. :mrgreen:

Can you not remove the new version of Adobe and go back to the old version?

wirbel
Bathroom

Post by wirbel »

YouTube is also not working well for me since the latest flash update. I've sent YouTube a message about this so I hope more people do that. I only get a black screen when I play something but I do get sound. There's a button below each video however that says 'pop out' and then the video comes in a separate window and does play. Inconvenient but at least I can watch something!
-I am a true Believer-

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

RobB wrote:
Can you not remove the new version of Adobe and go back to the old version?
Nope, the old version just wasn't working anymore, I got a black screen on every youtube video I tried, all with the same message saying I had to download the upgraded version. The new one hasn't actually installed, due to this problem with the registry.

Lots of people seem to be having trouble with it, so maybe if enough people complain they'll eventually do something about it. I just think it's ridiculous that they've forced people to upgrade without checking out the problems first.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

wirbel wrote:YouTube is also not working well for me since the latest flash update. I've sent YouTube a message about this so I hope more people do that. I only get a black screen when I play something but I do get sound. There's a button below each video however that says 'pop out' and then the video comes in a separate window and does play. Inconvenient but at least I can watch something!

Thanks wirbel, I'll give that a go.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

There doesn't seem to be a 'pop out' button on any of the videos I've tried?

Honestly, this is SO annoying. I listen to so much music on youtube that I wouldn't otherwise have access to.

Ah well. It's not vital, I can live without it, but I wouldn't have to except for some nobhead somewhere who can't leave well alone.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Sorry to sound smug, but it's working fine on my Mac...
These things do happen, developers upgrade stuff without waiting for consequent OS upgrades and vice-versa.
If you're using YouTube just to listen to music, Beth, do you know about Spotify?

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

No, what's that?

OK just googled it, it seems you have to pay for it? I appreciate the ethical stance re the artists obviously, but the reason I listened to so much music on youtube was because I can't afford to buy it. The monthly fee I pay for my internet access comes out of my food budget as it is.

Never mind. I'll miss being able to just check stuff out on youtube, but as I say, it's not essential. I'll just read a book instead. :D

wirbel
Bathroom

Post by wirbel »

blue wrote:There doesn't seem to be a 'pop out' button on any of the videos I've tried?
it's on the bar beneath each video. the one that has the pause/play and sound button on the left. On the right it then has a popout butten which looks like two rectangles on top of each other...
-I am a true Believer-

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

wirbel wrote:
blue wrote:There doesn't seem to be a 'pop out' button on any of the videos I've tried?
it's on the bar beneath each video. the one that has the pause/play and sound button on the left. On the right it then has a popout butten which looks like two rectangles on top of each other...

I'm not getting the pause/play bar at all wirbel, just a big black square.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Incidentally, this is apparently the solution to the particular registry error I'm getting, in case anyone else wants to take a look at it:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html

You have to download this SubAcl thing as per step 2, but what with all the dire warnings and the incomprehensible jargon, I'm not about to try it and find I've lost my entire system. I have no idea how to do back-ups or how to re-install the system and so on, it's not worth the risk.

Wirbel, are you having trouble connecting to other sites since trying to download this Flash upgrade? I'm sure it's done something to my machine, I'm having problems getting on some sites and others are taking ages.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Beth, although it hasn't come out very well, i hope the piccie below will ease some of your withdrawl symptoms? :mrgreen:

alx5962
Bedroom

Post by alx5962 »

Firefox is a modern browser and not IE6/IE7; many similar problems will appear in a distant future so if your don't plan to upgrade your browser.
I believe in your smile everyday
But I know that you're far from my way
When I talk to the moon I can hear you
In the dark I can see, I can feel your light

wirbel
Bathroom

Post by wirbel »

I don't seem to have trouble with other sites, just youtube; but I just found out that the same videos DO play in Internet explorer, but not in Firefox which is the browser I prefer using; did you try other browsers as well?
-I am a true Believer-

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

I have IE version 8 I think, I was prompted to upgrade to that a while ago. I don't know anything about other browsers or how to install them, my knowledge of computers is limited to switching them on and connecting to the internet. :D