Nostalgia and our earliest childhood memories!

Talk about everything here
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Nostalgia and our earliest childhood memories!

Post by RobB »

A new topic about our earliest childhood memories......of television shows, music, holidays or whatever. :)

Continuing on from from Dave's post on the 'Who is Stina Gray' thread (wonder if she's any relation to Earl? ).......yes, Lost In Space was an early favourite tv show of mine too.....probably because I didn't half fancy Penny Robinson, even if I was only five or six. :mrgreen: Mind you, I was probably quite confused as to how she managed to go from running about in the mountains with Julie Andrews one minute, and being marooned on a distant planet the next. :? :wink:

Other very early memories are of Dr Who and Stingray......and the daily lunchtime Watch With Mother shows that included such classics Andy Pandy, Bill & Ben and Tales Of The Riverbank. I remember when I started school I was very upset at missing those shows.....until the holidays of course

Creepiest show that long stuck in my memory was The Singing Ringing Tree which in recent years I've purchased on dvd.......and its still dead creepy. 8)

alx5962
Bedroom

Re: Nostalgia and our earliest childhood memories!

Post by alx5962 »

There was so many cartoons when I was a kid! Most of them were japanese and fewer american so it was a totally different culture given to us at that time.
I really loved Goldorak (aka Grendizer) at that time (a japanese cartoon about a giant robot), I was like 6yo and it was one of my firsts books. And I guess it's the mean reason why 30 years later I still love robots (I have a nice collection at home and also robotics was a big part of my scholarship).
So I guess the influence of this cartoon was pretty big on me.
I believe in your smile everyday
But I know that you're far from my way
When I talk to the moon I can hear you
In the dark I can see, I can feel your light

RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by RobB »

alx5962 wrote:I really loved Goldorak (aka Grendizer) at that time (a japanese cartoon about a giant robot), I was like 6yo and it was one of my firsts books.
I'm not familiar with that series Alex but maybe it wasn't shown in the UK....or maybe I was a little too old for animated shows by then? I do recall a dubbed Japanese animated series being shown in the UK in the 1970's although i can't recall its title now.

My era was the the mid 60's and US 'cartoon' shows like the Flintstones & Top Cat.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Ooh god, things I remember on the telly .... one of my first memories is of it being on the news that The Beatles had split up. There were lots of grown ups in my house all seeming upset, it was obviously A VERY BAD THING that had happened and I was intrigued by the atmosphere. I remember watching interviews with the group and I decided I liked John best because of his hair. I think they split up in April 1970, officially? So I would have been just turned 3.

Favourite programmes were Top Cat, Scooby Doo, Hong Kong Phooey, Mr. Ben, Andy Pandy with Bill and Ben and Weeeeed, Playschool although I hated Hamble the doll (she freaked me out for some reason), Jackanory, Mary Mungo and Midge (think that might have been a Scotland only thing?), and any war film that happened to be on telly at the weekends. I loved films about WW11 when I was little.

On Saturday mornings a whole big gang of us kids used to go the local cinema, where they showed old episodes of Abbott and Costello, Tarzan, and Flash Gordon with my personal favourite, Ming the Merciless. Ooh he was thrillingly evil! :mrgreen:

I confess, I continued watching cartoons right into my teens and early 20s, happily sitting down with my young daughter to watch our favourites, Dangermouse and Inspector Gadget. 8)

One of the television things that left the strongest impression on me was Jesus Of Nazareth, with Robert Powell playing Jesus. My whole extended family gathered in my grandmother's house to watch it (we were Catholic), loads of us all crammed into her tiny living room. We were an extremely noisy family normally, but you could have heard a pin drop through that whole thing. I'll have to look up when that was originaly aired on tv, I have a feeling it might have been 1976?

I was quite the telly addict when I was a kid, although I did read a lot too.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...