Lira the fox cub

Talk about everything here
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Lira the fox cub

Post by RobB »

Last Monday morning I found a tiny newborn fox cub in my back garden. I had noticed,from the kitchen window, this little clump laying out near the pond earlier but it wasn't until I investigated an hour later that I realised the object was alive.....just, as it was obviously cold and in a weak and distressed condition. So having checked the garden for any sign of its mother or other cubs, and taken a few photos, I wrapped the cub in a towel. Then having placed it in a canvas shopping bag, I drove it,via the local vets, to a wildlife rescue centre about ten miles away,making sure the cars heater was full on to keep it warm.

On arrival at the Wildlives Rescue and Rehabilitation Centre in Thorrington,staff quickly put the cub into an incubator, while I left my details and a cash donation (the centre is a charity) to help care for the cub. And that was that, I drove away thinking that was the last time I would see the cub. I wasnt that confident it would even survive

This morning,one week on,while visiting relatives, I was given a page from last Saturday's East Anglian Daily Times, which featured an article about the fox cub. The centre staff had called her Lira (had I realised it was going to generate publicity,I would have named her Stina 8) :mrgreen: )

Below are some photos I took of the cub in situ, in the bag I used to transport her and a link to the EADT on-line article about the cub. Plus even a video. 8)

You can see how close it came to falling in to the pond (right of photo)

The cub in the bottom of the shopping bag.

Finally, the on-line article from the East Anglian Daily Times,which contains the video.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/video_lira_t ... _1_3435193

pgss
Bedroom

Re: Lira the fox cub

Post by pgss »

Rob, you are a saint for rescuing this little fox. Those photos are really cute.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Yes, well done RobB!
I wonder how it got there - dropped by Mum being pursued? harried by a cat?
Anyway good to know that one threatened creature on this planet has survived.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

There was a four meter trail through the fairly short grass to the position where I found it so it had tried blindly crawling down the garden. But there wa sno sign of how it got to the start of the trail.

The woman at the rescue center did say that the mother may have been moving the cub to a new location having been disturbed and could well have dropped it. In the end though I had to pick it up as I was about to go out and I didn't want it left exposed all morning to any passing cat.

I guess we'll never know the full story but at least little Lira is in good hands now and I'm pleased that she has generated some publicity for the center. :)

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

Rob, I thought of your brave action when I saw the following photos. You've saved a great animal!
http://www.boredpanda.com/beautiful-fox-pictures/

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Thanks for the link,Paul. The photos certainly show how cute foxes are,even if they are a bit of a pest at times. :mrgreen:

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Lovely pics, Paul.

Let's face it, foxes aren't anything like as much of a pest as humans...