The reason why this board is dying

Talk about everything here
Kitchen

Post by * »

*steps out of the TARDIS*

Hallo, I am the D?Ctor, (D?Ctor who? [crazy])

The Time Lord 'Alx' sent me one of those 21st Century communication packets... what are they called again? Er... um.... *ponders a while* - E MAIL! Yes, that's what they're called. Email. Now.. where was I? Oh yes, I was sent one - sounded urgent, so I thought I'd better come over.

So, I ask the question Bugs Bunny often used to ask me... "Neeeeeaaaa, what's up D?C?" [crazy]

picsou
Kitchen

Post by picsou »

Yeah! What's up DOC [evil]

Kitchen

Post by * »

Actually, I tried writing a second post yesterday but for some reason I couldn't access the board - but i'm writing via a shaky wireless system, so it was probably due to problems this end!

Sooooooooooo... OK, now I've read the thread and it seems I've got be a little more 'down to earth' :O

I was chuffed to see Dave and Elizabeth mention me! Thnaks guys! :) It's probably hard to believe, but it hasn't been a case of 'out of sight, out of mind' - indeed I have had sporadic contact with RobB over the last few months. I'm pretty knocked out by what's been happening amongst the CQDers - congratulations to just about all of you on your engagements, marriages and children (delete as appropriate!) ^ ^ ^

Seems things here are in a bit of a sorry state, and I guess Alex and Paul are feeling pretty bummed out. I can only say for my part, guys, you and the work you've put in here are NOT the reason I haven't been around. [tup]

The actual reasons relate both to the board / SN and my personal circumstances.

Latter first: I've been without an I'net connection at home for some months now, and so straight off I've had very little time for non-work related I'net activities. My work situation itself has changed quite a bit too - if anyone has visited my site they will have seen that there's been quite a bit going on and it would seem that the tendency is it will stay that way. I've been much more involved in real world activities... and in keeping up with the trend (well, lagging behind, but I'm making the effort), I now have a particular lady in my life. :shock: :I [tup] That all adds up as (amongst others) Sara, A?relian, Elizabeth, RobB and Spook can all testify.

As for the board... well I guess Dave Sound World and Elizabeth have more or less nailed what i feel about the board. I basically lost interest in all things Stina (outside the music, and even that I haven't heard in a while), no doubt aided by the events that culmanated in CQD's demise. Also I have to say SN type of music is atypical of what I enjoy as a rule... and this board does seem to have become obsessed with white, female confessional singer-songwriter types - and I have to say, I find them almost without exception monotonous and bland - a surrogate SN experience. But that's personal taste. As such I (and I guess due to his absence) Spook feel virtually no-one is really interested in the other types of music we are enthusiastic about. I for one don't like to bore people with shit they're not interested in.

I appreciate an exchange - I discovered Under Byen and Sarah Blasko through this site just to name two (thanks to Franck and Daniel respectively) - but there seems to be no thirst for something.. oh I dunno, let's just say 'new & different' (we could spend ages debating what that is)...

But that's all arty subjective stuff. Elizabeth nailed it really, the missing element is the camaraderie and the HUMOUR! Sure it seems most of the 'old' crew have people in real life that justifiably need their attention more than us 'Internet ghosts'. There certainly used to be passion (and my goodness, that hasn't always a pleasant thing in the midst of things), but still, better than weak consensus... maybe Stina infected us with lethargy?!!!

Oh boy.. blah blah blah and I haven't really got anywhere near what I wanted to say...

Perhaps things just move on (and outwards)... (very simplistic, but I'm gonna try a Zen approach and see how far it gets me!)

sound world
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by sound world »

Nice to see you again Doc,and congrats to you on new changes!! (I seem to be bucking this trend,same old -10 year!!-relationship,though it's much better than it has been for ages;work dried to a standstill).
Some good points-I totally agree with the comments re music.I too go for very few other white female singer/songwriter types,and the kind of music I'm mostly interested in-contemporary composition/jazz/soul/ethnic etc-seems to be foreign territory for most everyone else here.So it feels a bit pointless to enthuse about them here.Which,yes,seems to be what's happening for Spook,who mostly enthused about music.I'm guessing-Spook still logs in here quite often but doesn't post.
Actually the same goes for almost any topic here-the general indifference means that I feel anything that I might post probably won't get any type of response so I may as well not bother.Anyone else feel like that?
Re Stina-I feel infuriated by whoever is responsible for the non-communicative aspect of her.Nonetheless I still think she is a first-rate musician and lyricist,so I hang in there(here)in the hope that something is coming down the wire sometime.I think that might be true for many of us here;not exactly what Elizabeth calls 'Stinaboys' but people hoping for ANY news.
People come and go from boards like this whatever happens.Had TWIS caused more of a buzz,we'd have pulled in many more of all stripes for sure.It's no big deal.I think St Francis has got overexcited,but at least it's shaken things up a wee bit.
And,yes,to imagine CQD etc was all 'humour' would be stretching a point.There were plenty of heated arguments and feelings as well,I recall.*winks*

x31eq
Kitchen

Post by x31eq »

I was going to reply to this, but I thought: why bother? I probably won't get a response.

barrett
Living room

Post by barrett »

apathy rul

daniel
Living room

Post by daniel »

They say ignorance and apathy come together.
But I don't know and I don't care.

:P

kuhn
Bedroom

Post by kuhn »

daniel wrote:They say ignorance and apathy come together.
But I don't know and I don't care.

:P

It should be "I don't care to find out" - are you completely ignorant?

Oh well, I guess you don't care. ;)

whatis
Living room

Post by whatis »

oooh things are heating up do i hear eggs frying [crazy]

barrett
Living room

Post by barrett »

Scrambled , surely :shock:

whatis
Living room

Post by whatis »

wake me up in time for breakfast [bday]

gi_interrupted_rl
Hallway

Post by gi_interrupted_rl »

wow. i'll be completely honest, i totally forgot that this place existed. i was so heart broken when the seekyoudanger forum died. i don't have time now, but i'll be back to check out things around here, get a feel of things. so, count me in as a regular here, bout 4 days a week;)

nice to have a place where people love stina as much as i. no one i know around here like her at all and look at me strangely when i play her for them. i've given up ever trying to explain or convert people...well not really, but i'm selective on who i expose to her.

so i'll see y'all around.

ruth1998

wirbel
Bathroom

Post by wirbel »

gi_interrupted_rl wrote:nice to have a place where people love stina as much as i. no one i know around here like her at all and look at me strangely when i play her for them. i've given up ever trying to explain or convert people...well not really, but i'm selective on who i expose to her. so 'll see y'all around.
That's also a reason for me to come here Ruth; it's nice to be able to talk with people that also enjoy Stina and have a good time discussing Stina together with a wide variety of other interesting things and to have a good time. It's good to see you here! (and i haven't found anyone either that could appreciate Stina, being also pretty selective; but i also enjoy having Stina pretty much 'for myself' ;) )

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

parvoart wrote:Seems things here are in a bit of a sorry state, and I guess Alex and Paul are feeling pretty bummed out. I can only say for my part, guys, you and the work you've put in here are NOT the reason I haven't been around. [tup]
Thanks Duncan for mentioning this. Because a few days ago I felt quite differently. :V
parvoart wrote:Latter first: I've been without an I'net connection at home for some months now, and so straight off I've had very little time for non-work related I'net activities. My work situation itself has changed quite a bit too - if anyone has visited my site they will have seen that there's been quite a bit going on and it would seem that the tendency is it will stay that way. I've been much more involved in real world activities... and in keeping up with the trend (well, lagging behind, but I'm making the effort), I now have a particular lady in my life.
Good to hear there's a lady! ^ As for the other things like work, personal life... I know the situation. I'm working, studying, spending time with friends. It also leaves less time to chat on this messageboard.,
parvoart wrote: I basically lost interest in all things Stina (outside the music, and even that I haven't heard in a while), no doubt aided by the events that culmanated in CQD's demise. Also I have to say SN type of music is atypical of what I enjoy as a rule... and this board does seem to have become obsessed with white, female confessional singer-songwriter types - and I have to say, I find them almost without exception monotonous and bland - a surrogate SN experience. But that's personal taste.
I guess you have a point here. The names mentioned by Christian (spook) and you where new to me. Although I tried to listen to some things mentioned, it became clear that most of that wasn't quite my style.

As for the female confessional singer-songwriter types: I'm not into that nowadays. Listening to black soulmusic nowadays, both classics out of the sixties as well as today RnB.
parvoart wrote:Elizabeth nailed it really, the missing element is the camaraderie and the HUMOUR! Sure it seems most of the 'old' crew have people in real life that justifiably need their attention more than us 'Internet ghosts'. There certainly used to be passion (and my goodness, that hasn't always a pleasant thing in the midst of things), but still, better than weak consensus... maybe Stina infected us with lethargy?!!!
Good point also. There used to be big laughs while reading the board. Those jokes have gone.
parvoart wrote:Perhaps things just move on (and outwards)... (very simplistic, but I'm gonna try a Zen approach and see how far it gets me!)
Well good luck to you, your lady and music anyway. I'm checking your site every now and then and enjoyed the MP3's. :)
Last edited by pgss on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

sound world wrote:Some good points-I totally agree with the comments re music.I too go for very few other white female singer/songwriter types,and the kind of music I'm mostly interested in-contemporary composition/jazz/soul/ethnic etc-seems to be foreign territory for most everyone else here.So it feels a bit pointless to enthuse about them here.
If I remember it well it is the kind of music that Duncan and Spook are listening too also. So here's a subject that you could post in our music forum. ;)
sound world wrote:Which,yes,seems to be what's happening for Spook,who mostly enthused about music.I'm guessing-Spook still logs in here quite often but doesn't post.
I haven't seen him much online lately. But he must also be busy with his girlfriend and daytime job.
sound world wrote:Actually the same goes for almost any topic here-the general indifference means that I feel anything that I might post probably won't get any type of response so I may as well not bother.Anyone else feel like that?
I recognize the feeling. And it's true.
Look at how many unanswered posts there are floating around here. That's quite a lot. Even if some topics do get a response, they bleed to death pretty soon after that.
sound world wrote:Re Stina-I feel infuriated by whoever is responsible for the non-communicative aspect of her. Nonetheless I still think she is a first-rate musician and lyricist,so I hang in there(here)in the hope that something is coming down the wire sometime. I think that might be true for many of us here;not exactly what Elizabeth calls 'Stinaboys' but people hoping for ANY news.
Good point. And I agree. Although I haven't listened to Stina a lot lately, I'm still interested in what she will come up next. Certainly now her career is on deadend. She needs to reinvent herself.
sound world wrote:And,yes,to imagine CQD etc was all 'humour' would be stretching a point.There were plenty of heated arguments and feelings as well,I recall.*winks*
I guess this is one of the first heated arguments here. It's on the wrong subject though. Maybe it is a start... let's hope so.

As for me, I will try to respond to more topics while I'm reading here.