The Björk Thread

New bands are welcome
Elforel
Living room
Location: Somewhere between the ground and the sky (Beijing, China)

Re: The Björk Thread

Post by Elforel »

Well, as I said, I'm not judging her so hardly anyway.
But if things were to be looked upon very deeply, you'd find soon enough that tibetans were actually committing atrocities to chinese and to their own people before that. Actually, centuries ago, Tibetans had invaded China and took power of a whole region which weren't their either.
Anyway, I am no historian and I don't really want to take sides, this is the kind of topic that I admit plainly that I don't know what to think of it.
It's just too complicated for little me.
Then again, about Björk acting for the free world, I don't think her shouting 'Tibet Tibet' (just like she did for Kosovo earlier, which is also another subject too complicated for me-especially since 2 of my idols collide: Björk VS Kusturiça) did much enlightenment.
But as I said, I still think it's cool 8) she didn't just shut up. But it could have be done more intelligently. :roll:
Again, she should go and talk to Iceland's government.
Blog:blog.foukography.com
"Mieux vaudrait apprendre a faire l'amour correctement plut?t que s'abrutir sur un livre d'histoire." B.Vian

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

I think I'd have to agree with Elfy - there's a complicated historical and cultural relationship there that most Westerners are probably not knowledgeable enough about to be able to make sweeping judgements. Not to mention that very few nations on this earth are free of guilt where oppression of others is concerned.

I think sometimes pop stars just make themselves look a bit idiotic and annoying when they get involved publically in political issues. It's obviously tempting when you have a degree of influence over how people think to use it in aid of causes you feel strongly about, but you can also risk alienating people in the process. This is the problem when you try to make people aware of political and social issues - a lot of folk out there just don't want to think about them unless/until their own lives are directly affected. As long as it's not themselves or anyone they care about being hurt, they basically don't give a shit. :?
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

Elforel
Living room

Post by Elforel »

blue wrote:Not to mention that very few nations on this earth are free of guilt where oppression of others is concerned.
Very true as well...
"Mieux vaudrait apprendre a faire l'amour correctement plut?t que s'abrutir sur un livre d'histoire." B.Vian

aermancer
Bathroom

Post by aermancer »

Bjork's next release is coming out May 14 (if i remember correctly). Titled "Volta Revisited", it has a live in-studio album, a remix compilation and a DVD of all the Volta videos.

Bjork's newest video "Wanderlust" is coming out soon, i think today or tomorrow. It's supposed to be her most spectacular video ever. There's even a rumor that it will be played before the new Batman movie in IMAX theaters.

Just thought i'd make sure this thread was up to date!

ruth1998
Living room

Post by ruth1998 »

Does anyone like Bjorks' recent stuff? I find it hard to category what I've heard as music. I've only heard clips, so I won't judge until I head more, but...
I think Bjork's finally lost her touch with reality completely. And I think it's funny to think about. Did you see that video on youtube about t.v.? wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75WFTHpOw8Y
-You can''t stop my heart from turning inside out.

aermancer
Bathroom

Post by aermancer »

that's from her Sugarcubes days, she was definitely on something in that clip XD

nowadays she's all about being green

ruth1998
Living room

Post by ruth1998 »

aermancer wrote:that's from her Sugarcubes days, she was definitely on something in that clip XD
Are you serious? I didn't know it was that old. Yup, explains everything.

;)

dude, drugs are bad.
-You can''t stop my heart from turning inside out.

aermancer
Bathroom

Post by aermancer »

If you've only heard her new album Volta, it's no wonder you didn't like her. Volta is truly horrible.

Here are two of my favorite songs by her, Hidden Place from her 2001 album Vespertine and Oceania from 2004's Medúlla.

you should just listen to this one and not watch the video because the video's not very good.

Elforel
Living room

Post by Elforel »

Well, I really don't think Volta is horrible. Quite the opposite. And I'm also an old fan.

Anyway: I was surprised to see there are some interesting news about and from Björk!!!

http://nattura.info/greinar/2008/nattur ... g-is-here/
And also:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 026175.ece

And there's some Thom Yorke in this as well!!

aermancer
Bathroom

Post by aermancer »

Nattura is a pretty good song, I was surprised when i heard it.

i think my favorite part of any Björk music video is at the beginning of the Cocoon video when only one of the Björks walks away from the scene and another one watches. It's like a painting but in video form.

d.a.walker
Bathroom

Post by d.a.walker »

I'm actually enjoying Volta, taken me nearly 2 years to like it!! Declare Independence is my favourite, love that song!
I dreamed of 747's, over geometric farms...

Elforel
Living room

Post by Elforel »

Great! I'm glad you like it!

aermancer
Bathroom

Post by aermancer »

Leila should do a remix album of Volta, she's amazing and Björk is crazy for not having her do any remixes.

d.a.walker
Bathroom

Post by d.a.walker »

I've had a bit of a Debut renaissance, bought the delux, allegedly japanese version as a treat the other day because the artwork promised the track Atlantic, which is one of my favourite bjork b-sides and nearly impossible to find on CD. Alas the track was not on the disc at all, seems they replicated the artwork but stuck in the standard version of Debut instead. The pigs!!!

However I then found a copy of Debut Surrounded for $10 which was a bargain, so I have been blasting it through the surround sound in DTS all weekend! It's still my favourite, reminds me of summer in Germany and getting drunk and doing all the stuff teens shouldn't do but will do anyway!

I've also rediscovered the fantastic remix of Big Time Sensuality by Justin Robertson, god that is groovy! ^
I dreamed of 747's, over geometric farms...