Osama Bin Laden killed?

Talk about everything here
blue
Bedroom

Osama Bin Laden killed?

Post by blue »

The US government is claiming that their forces killed Osama Bin Laden in an operation in Pakistan last night. President Obama has made a televised statement so presumably it's beyond any doubt, but it still seems slightly surreal:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/

I just wonder how many innocent people around the world are going to have to pay the price for the inevitable retaliation by Bin Laden's disciples. Still, long as the US can say they got the guy who ordered 9/11, eh.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

sound world
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Re: Osama Bin Laden killed?

Post by sound world »

Apparently his body has been 'buried at sea'. :?: presumably to satisfy both the Islamic practice of burial within 24 hours and to avoid making a shrine.Anyway, it's something else which is going to cause a lot of aggro, I would think. Anyone remember the scenes at the Ayatollah Khomeini's funeral?

Well, it was nice while we had the Wedding, wasn't it. :roll:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Yes, just like with 9/11, i can see another act of relaliation against the worlds biggest playground bullies.
And no doubt we'll get targeted again as well,just by association. :(

The world would be such a far safer place if countries just minded their own business and let other countries run their affairs how they wish.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

What I find baffling is that world's most wanted criminal, far from hiding out in some remote mountain compound, was apparently living in a huge mansion in a town near Islamabad, the main city in Pakistan. The house was about five times bigger than any other house in the district and had been valued at 'several million dollars'. Um ... this wasn't a clue to the Pakistani authorities that someone notable might be living there?!

The scenes of Americans celebrating in the streets took me right back to those appalling images of Palestinians celebrating the atrocity at the World Trade Centre. When is the killing of a human being ever a cause for celebration? What is wrong with these people?

Ach, they'll stop dancing when the next bomb goes off, I guess.

Angie
Kitchen

Post by Angie »

By all means, don't hold back on your opinion of Americans on my account.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Sorry Angie, of course I realise that not all of your countrymen are dancing in the streets, and I should have specified that. I've been reading some very thoughtful commentary today from US members of the Tori board I visit,, who are just as distressed by the celebrating as many people outside the US. I guess it's the same in every country; there will always be those who seem to lose their essential humanity in situations like this.

Many apologies if I upset you hon, it's the last thing I would want to do. I'd be interested to hear your opinion on what's going on.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Someone just emailed this to me:-

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives,
but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy.
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate,
adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Someone posted that exact quote on the Tori board a couple of days ago Dave, I think it pretty much sums up how I feel and why I was so disturbed by those pictures of the celebrating.

I'll just never understand how the killing of ANY fellow human being can be a cause for dancing.

wirbel
Bathroom

Post by wirbel »

I can only say good riddance, because this guy was just pure evil. Nevertheless I don't think it should be celebrated. But fear of retaliation is just what terrorists want so I wouldn't call it a good reason not to fight it. Also I think the world would be a better place without (radical) islam. It hasn't brought much good anyway. The same can be said of racism and disrespect, so if people let each other be in peace the better it would be.
-I am a true Believer-

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

There will never be peace. The arms manufacturers won't allow it.

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

wirbel wrote:I can only say good riddance, because this guy was just pure evil. Nevertheless I don't think it should be celebrated. But fear of retaliation is just what terrorists want so I wouldn't call it a good reason not to fight it. Also I think the world would be a better place without (radical) islam. It hasn't brought much good anyway. The same can be said of racism and disrespect, so if people let each other be in peace the better it would be.
I'm sad to read your opinion Wirbel. I'm often ashamed of what The Netherlands have become in a political way. Geert Wilders is known all around the world for his radical anti-islam statements. It really worries me that so many people choose to disrespect the beliefs of other people.

As I have a very strong religious background. I never understood why people choose to live their lives by the rules of the bible or koran. I've chosen to go my own way and left my religion behind. I've had to deal with a lot of (verbal) agression from family and former friends about my choices. I could have defended myself and land in discussions time after time again. But I decided not to. Because I don't have to defend my choices, I don't have to explain my way of living. But that goes both ways.

I strongly believe that things will only get better if we respect the way of life of others, there would be a lot less violence. If we would respect the islam and they would be able to practice their belief without restriction, there would be no such thing as radical islam.

wirbel
Bathroom

Post by wirbel »

[quote="pgss] strongly believe that things will only get better if we respect the way of life of others, there would be a lot less violence. If we would respect the islam and they would be able to practice their belief without restriction, there would be no such thing as radical islam.[/quote]

That's a complete contradiction within itself because everyone is free to believe what he wants yet islamists (not the normal muslim) only want to push their beliefs upon everyone else and the whole society. It makes me sick to see how they treat women and animals.
And I'm glad we have political freedom in the Netherlands.
-I am a true Believer-

Angie
Kitchen

Post by Angie »

I have not been avoiding you, I promise, just very busy. Well, an interesting discussion has been had, by people who are certainly more informed and well-spoken than I'll ever be. I will admit - politics in general, even locally, make me want to jump out of my skin and I tend to leave the room whenever it comes up. And is it old news already, anyway? Browsing the paper today I read about the guy who took his place. And of course someone took his place. *sigh*

I hope you didn't feel obligated to pat me on the head, beth, but I appreciate your kind words.
blue wrote:I guess it's the same in every country; there will always be those who seem to lose their essential humanity in situations like this.
And yes, this. Exactly.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Angie wrote:
I hope you didn't feel obligated to pat me on the head, beth
Not at all hon, you made a valid point in a very concise manner, and it just made me realise my comments were very generalised for such a sensitive subject. In the past I've written quite a bit here about the dangers of language expressing prejudice directed at an entire group of people, and I fell into the same trap myself here, which goes to show how pervasive and subtle this conditioning is - it should be pointed up.