Birdy

New bands are welcome
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Birdy

Post by RobB »

Birdy is an English 15 year old singer-songwriter who released her eponymous debut album last November.

Although mainly made up of a collection of cover versions of strong but relatively unknown songs, this live version is of the one self-composed song which I think shows a lot of promise.

'Without A Word'

I've been playing Birdy constantly over the last week, its a terrific album.

Here's another of my favourite songs off the album:

'I'll Never Forget You'

RobB
Bedroom

Re: Birdy

Post by RobB »

'Comforting Sounds' connects two of my favourite female singers.

'Comforting Sounds' is the final track of Mew's Frengers, an album on which Stina appears.

And Audrey Reilly, who arranged the strings on this cover version,use to play in Virginia Astley's group.

This is simply wonderful....

'Comforting Sounds'

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Just can't stop playing this album....it just gets better and better......and it was brilliant to begin with. :mrgreen:

And i've secured a ticket to see her debut London gig next month.

This is the promo video for Shelter.

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

I can imagine what you hear in her music Rob. Her single Skinny Love and People Help The People, have both been top ten hits in The Netherlands. Sadly I heard Skinny Love a few times too much... [b)]

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Ironically I'd never heard of Birdy before seeing her playing live on BBC Breakfast News last month. :I

I just don't follow the charts or listen to music radio at all now so I was completely surprised that she'd had a top 20 single with Skinny Love early last year. But I take your point Paul, you can hear some songs so many times that you become sick of them. At the O2 Arena last year when Paul McCartney began singing Hey Jude, I felt like running up on the stage and throttling him. :mrgreen:

But back to Birdy....here's a live in-studio version of I'll Never Forget You.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

A link from last November of Birdy performing and being interviewed at home.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15691767

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Despite suffering from a rotten cold, had a great time last night at Notting Hill's the Tabernacle to witness Birdy's debut concert. She was in great voice. 8)

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

....and here I am....low down, far right hand side, popping in and out of view,just below the left hand side of the skin of the bass drum. My face is slightly glowing...but it really was hot down there.

This is Birdy singing Fleet Foxes 'Winter White Hymnal'.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Attended Birdy's latest show in London last night.....at the O2 Academy,Shepherds Bush Empire.
I was down near the piano but after over three and a half hours of standing, I think i'll opt for a seat next time. I'm getting too old for this standing game. :mrgreen:

Already parts of the performance have been turning up on You Tube.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

I don't know, the youth of today. You'd think someone would offer a seat to the old geezer tottering near the piano... :D

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

:mrgreen:

Tottering was the right word by the end. Having earlier walked from the Montague Pyke (remember the place folks? ) where I'd had lunch, right down to Westminster Bridge via Whitehall (yep, we know the route),and then along the Thames to Lambeth Bridge and then back through Victoria to Soho, I really was on my last legs by eleven. It was lovely to be able to sit down on the train home. :D