How are you today?

Talk about everything here
alx5962
Bedroom

Re: How are you today?

Post by alx5962 »

blue wrote:I don't have an email address alex, but i was told at the job centre on friday that i can get one set up at the library (it seems you need one nowadays to apply for jobs, so many employers now expect you to submit your cv online). As soon as i've got one i'll update it.
Just make one for free at gmail.com / yahoo.com / hotmail.com
I believe in your smile everyday
But I know that you're far from my way
When I talk to the moon I can hear you
In the dark I can see, I can feel your light

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

OK, done.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

alx5962
Bedroom

Post by alx5962 »

blue wrote:OK, done.
thank you !
I believe in your smile everyday
But I know that you're far from my way
When I talk to the moon I can hear you
In the dark I can see, I can feel your light

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Gah, what a week. My poor daughter has pulled a muscle in her back whilst lifting furniture at work and is now laid up on strong painkillers. I've been over there every day looking after rocco, who of course can't understand why he's not allowed to stay in mummy's room all day, he's having screaming tantrums every time i take him downstairs to let kate rest. He's taken to hitting me every time he sees me now, its horrible. His mum is really stressed with it all.

Hopefully she'll be on the mend soon, poor girl.

Have a good week everyone, hope you are all ok.

RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by RobB »

Poor you, poor daughter,....hopefully things will be back to normal soon.

Just got back from a week in Yorkshire......apart from the gales and rain and the floods, it was a nice break. :mrgreen:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

You picked the right time to go Rob. : D

Woohoo, i've got a job! Had my first interview on wednesday and got the call thursday to say i'd got it. The induction was this morning, and i start on monday. It's in a new department store that's opening in town on the 12th oct. I'm so relieved to be working again, i feared it could be months before i got something. Got a busy couple of weeks now as we get the store ready for opening, then after that i go to part-time hours which is what i need to fit in with looking after rocco.

Dave, you rang while i was in the induction. : D How frustrating, i could see it was you but couldn't answer! How about we try on wednesday, as that's my day off?

Kate went back to work yesterday, still in a bit of pain but a lot better than she was this time last week.

Have a good weekend everyone.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Good news, Beth!
A new department store..? the mind boggles, you'd have thought department stores were really struggling against the out-of-town megastores these days.
Anyway good luck, hope you meet some nice public.

Perhaps we're doomed never to speak on the phone! I'll see what I can do Wednesday, though: I teach in the afternoon so it'll be earlier than 2 if it's going to happen.
Meanwhile my mobile hasn't turned up. I innocently wandered into the Apple store to ask them how much an 'old' iPhone was (ie the one that's just been superseded) and was shocked to discover that they're about £400. For a phone! well, I know it does lots else (and that's what I would have done with one), but even so. I'll stick to pushing 50ps into the few remaining payphones if I need to make a call while out, thanks!

BTW have you got an internet connection again, Beth, or are you typing all that up there on your phone??

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

No I'm still getting on via my mobile Dave, its rather time-consuming and fiddly which is why I'm not on every day, not to mention it uses my credit. But I haven't been able to get in to use the library machines as I'd hoped, so needs must.

The store is a bit like wilkinsons or qd, these are the only kinds of non-supermarket stores doing well these days. This particular northern chain is thriving so much its now expanding into the south, 60 new stores opening this year.

Haha, flipping iPhones and blackberries, tell me about it! Unbelievable how much they cost. I dream of having a smartphone, this internet lark is a lot easier on those. Still, my 35 quid one from tescos will have to do me. :D

Hopefully will speak to you on Wednesday then Dave, we might actually make it this time. :D

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Beth,well done on securing a new job,especially as you can do the hours that suit you. :)

Dave, there's no way i'd ever pay £400 for a phone. Ok, so i know they'rebasically mini-computers/cameras these days but a basic phone is all I use and thats really only for emergency use. I think i paid £25 for it about eight years ago, and that included £10 credit, which lasted a couple of years or so before i needed to top up. 8) :mrgreen:

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

Congratulations on your new job Beth! That's some really good news.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Thanks Paul, and how are you these days? You haven't been around much lately from the look of it, everything ok?

Well two days into my new job and i am a complete physical wreck!! Its been a very long time since i worked in such a big store and it is very demanding getting the place ready for opening, we have been working like loons and every bit of my body aches like hell. :D At this point i'm not actually sure i will get through another ten days of it, i might have collapsed from exhaustion by then. Still i will endeavour to keep my poor old bones going.

Blissful day off today, i am going to do nothing but listen to music and watch films all day, so there.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

The store opened yesterday, a day ahead of schedule as we did such a good job of getting it ready. Business was extremely brisk, we did 10 grand in the first three hours of trading! Lots of very positive feedback from customers which is great.

I can't believe i've managed to survive the past couple of weeks in there, its been such hard work and such long hours, but it was all worth it. I think i shall be happy there for the forseeable future.

Got the weekend off to recover now, and I'm seeing my grandson tomorrow for the first time since i got this job, so i am a happy bunny.

Have a good weekend all!

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Sounds like you're going to need this weekend to recover,Beth?

Glad you've settled into to the new job so quickly.......i guess its a lot easier to have been there from the very start? Maybe there will be promotion opportunities further down the line? :)

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Thanks rob, yeah i guess it does give you a sense of investment in the place when you've been there right from the start. I hope i'll be there for a good while, i'm not the type of person who likes to change jobs very often. I like security and routine.

As for promotion, well I've already been told by the till supervisor that she would like me to train up as a supervisor, but quite honestly at my age i don't think i want the hassle. I'm happy enough as i am. My main priority in life now is my grandson.

I really better get to bed, got another week of full time hours in front of me and i need to sleep!

Angie
Kitchen

Post by Angie »

Beth, great to see you around again, and congrats on the job! I had a second job in a department store a few (yikes, five? six?) years ago, and I know how exhausting it is! Hopefully you were able to rest up over the weekend. I love that they were able to work with your schedule so you can still watch Rocco. His second birthday must be coming right up?

The talk about phones made me laugh. We're still on phones where you pay for time in advance, and $35 will last us a good few months. I wouldn't mind having a mini-computer to carry around someday, but I think it's going to be a while!

Nothing exciting to report here, but no news is good news, right?