Magasin 3 project info

A place dedicated to the work of Stina Nordenstam
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Magasin 3 project info

Post by RobB »

I'm not sure if this link has been reported on these boards before but here's a page about the Magasin 3 project from 2005.

http://artnews.info/texts.php?g_a=index&g_i=3783

RobB
Bedroom

Re: Magasin 3 project info

Post by RobB »

The audio version i've heard of the Magasin project appears in 5 parts.
Part 4 lasts for 2:29.
Part 4 begins with a female narrator but at around 1:55, for the last half minute, another female speaker takes over who sounds suspiciously like Stina. 8)

Can anyone confirm that this is Stina talking? :)

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

I'm pretty sure it's not.Have you seen Hegude's translation?
Here:-
http://stinanordenstam.fortunecity.com/
Click on 'Tank dig en Manniska' (English) -and hit 'Skip the Ad'.You can figure out where that section is,and see that it's just one of the people Stina interviewed (I reckon).Perhaps we need someone who understands Swedish dialects/accents to confirm.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:I'm pretty sure it's not.Have you seen Hegude's translation?
yep,but the audio doesn't match up with the translated dialogue.For example there is only one audio section with the male voice but according to the written dialogue, a woman speaks inbetween the male spoken parts.
There certainly seems to be more written dialogue than whats on the audio.

But listening again,maybe its not Stina anyway...its just that on certain words the speaker hesitates like Stina does. :)

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Rob,you probably just have the five 'songs'.
When I recorded 'Tank dig' from the radio (my recording is the source of any 'Magasin' recordings floating around,I think), I then took the five musical portions and made separate tracks of them.I also made a separate track of Stina in interview (8 minutes) which preceded the broadcast of 'Magasin'.
Around the five 'songs' is dialogue amounting to another c.15 minutes of talking,so that the whole project is just over half an hour in total,n/i Stina's interview.I'm pretty certain that Stina's voice isn't in any of the dialogue.
Hegude's trans. is good for pointing out where the musical sections begin and end.
Hope that clears up the mystery.And I can send you the whole unedited thing if you like. :)

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:Rob,you probably just have the five 'songs'.
Hope that clears up the mystery.And I can send you the whole unedited thing if you like. :)
I like very much! Cheers Dave. :)

Thanks for the info which does clear up the confusion.Also,if you are hearing Stina in interview from the same period then I guess its a lot easier to compare that section with the 'spoken part' that I've mentioned and tell that they are not the same person.

Incidentally,I'm really starting to enjoy the music on these tracks now although the loud 'percussive' sounds are a bit of a distraction.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

As a postscript,it seems that the exhibition has been running again earlier this year, 26th January to 2nd March 2008 to be exact.

www.magasin3.com/exhibitions/jimsroom_0610.html

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

The last link no longer works but here's a link back to the 2005 shows which,if you click on Stina's name at the bottom of the page, leads to a brief description and a couple of quotes from Stina that i don't rmember seeing before.

http://www.magasin3.com/v1/program/project_2005.html

STRMBRG
Hallway

Post by STRMBRG »

There will be a new chance to experience the Magasin 3 sound installation Tänk dig en människa this summer at the Way Out West festival in Gothenburg. Sweden.

Watch the Way Out West website later for more information about the exact time and place (it's not available yet). At the time I'm writing this a picture of Stina tops the site. http://www.wayoutwest.se/

For those on the board who read Swedish here is the whole newsletter:

Magasin 3 och Way Out West presenterar verk av Stina Nordenstam

Tänk dig en människa, ljudinstallation av Stina Nordenstam
Curatorer: Richard Julin och Tessa Praun, Magasin 3 Stockholm Konsthall
8-10 augusti 2013
Way Out West, Göteborg

I augusti presenterar Magasin 3 och Way Out West ljudinstallationen Tänk dig en människa av Stina Nordenstam, speciellt installerad för festivalen och dess konstprogram. Plats och tid på Way Out West presenteras längre fram.

I Stina Nordenstams ljudinstallation Tänk dig en människa blandas dokumentärt berättande med fiktion och musik. Så här beskriver Stina Nordenstam sitt ljudverk:
– Den lite sorgkantade glädjen över att vara vid liv, och accepterandet av att det inte varar. Som naturen och tiden kring skolavslutningarna i början av sommaren: bedövande vackert, men utblommad och förbi nästan innan man hinner blinka.

Magasin 3:s curatorer Richard Julin och Tessa Praun:
– Vi är otroligt glada över att kunna presentera vårt samarbete med Stina Nordenstam på Way Out West. Ljudinstallationen visar en sida av hennes säregna skapande som få känner till. Verket är del av Magasin 3:s ”On the Tip of My Tongue” som är en serie händelser och unika projekt såväl som en utställning i vanlig bemärkelse.

Tänk dig en människa är producerat av Magasin 3 och ingår i museets samling.

Stina Nordenstam har en unik roll i svenskt och internationellt musikliv, det är få andra sångare och kompositörer som är så mytomspunna. ”Egensinnig och kompromisslös” fördes fram som förklaring till att hennes skiva And she closed her eyes (1994) nyligen utsågs av musiktidskriften Sonic som Sveriges genom tiderna bästa skiva. Stina Nordenstam ger sällan intervjuer eller livframträdanden. Utöver sin bakgrund som sångare och kompositör har Stina Nordenstam även varit verksam inom fotografi, film, radio och teater.

Way Out West
Den årliga festivalen Way Out West hålls i Slottsskogen, hjärtat av Göteborg och har blivit en av de största händelserna i musik- och kultursverige. Sedan starten år 2007 har Way Out West blivit en mötesplats dit folk vallfärdar för att ta del av ett fullspäckat musik-, film- och konstprogram. I år spelar tex: The Knife, Alicia Keys, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Beach House och Bat for Lashes. Konsten kommer detta år att ha en betydande plats i festivalens program bland annat tack vare samarbetet mellan Way Out West och Magasin 3.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Thank you for the info, hopefully Stina's fans in Sweden will support this new opportunity.

Pity the website could only use a 12 year out of date photo of Stina but I guess that's to be expected. :wink:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

http://radarmagazine.se/festival/2013/0 ... -out-west/

As August looms on the horizon, media coverage for the magasin 3 project is gaining momentum.

Pity they had they had to use an even older photo of Stina to illustrate their page than the wayoutwest site had! :wink:

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Although I've never seen such a 'clear' version of that picture-which is one of my favourite Stina pics.

Franck
Living room

Post by Franck »

sound world wrote:Although I've never seen such a 'clear' version of that picture-which is one of my favourite Stina pics.
Same for me. Absolutely love it.
"quand les mouettes ont pied, il est temps de virer" (dicton de marin breton)

STRMBRG
Hallway

Post by STRMBRG »

The curators at Magasin 3 have published a conversation with Stina, recorded earlier this year. (In Swedish.)

http://www.magasin3.com/en/blog/exhibit ... postTabs=1

MP3-link available if you flip the page to Swedish (Svenska) at the top.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

That's a great link....thank you for sharing it. :D

It's a pity I don't understand what Stina is saying but its still a delight to hear her spoken voice again after all these years.

Did Stina reveal what she has been doing since the release of TWIS? And was there any mention of her future plans? Thanks. :)