Stina Live aged 20 !!!

A place dedicated to the work of Stina Nordenstam
sound world
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Stina Live aged 20 !!!

Post by sound world »

Someone has uploaded 3 videos of Stina live on Swedish TV from 1989 ! Amazing! quite a find. I'm wondering whether these are from the Swedish Broadcast 'Showtime' which is held in the Swedish Library.
The title 'Jag Minns Mitt 40 tal 1989' translates roughly as 'I remember the 40's' from 1989.

It's pretty lame material, although Everything Happens To Me is a great song in the right hands.
It's obviously Stina, but her voice sounds much fuller and less girlish than the later model, even just two years later for MOAC, which is surprising and interesting. You can see why, with a gardenia in her hair and the 40s theme, not to mention the vocal style she's after, why she was compared to Billie Holiday before making the likes of MOAC.
I wonder how she felt playing with these old guys - and to think she might have remained doing these tired old covers for a career-she's pretty good in the genre. Hard to believe that this same girl produced Dynamite just a few years later.

She's wearing two different getups, so perhaps there's more material out there from these sessions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAkHBBP6nWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksKR_BQ1v4E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orSZQ6VIE7g

RobB
Bedroom

Re: Stina Live aged 20 !!!

Post by RobB »

Wow...those videos are amazing. 8) The effect is a bit like seeing videos of the Quarrymen performing in 1957?

What strikes me most is Stina's total confidence in performing live before the cameras. She seems so totally unphased no matter how close the camera zooms in on her.

Twenty five years later its such a shame that someone so natural in performing live has done so little live work since. :(

Thanks for posting the links up,Dave. :D

For some reason though I can't reproduce the links to show the videos directly? :?

Franck
Living room

Post by Franck »

Thanx a lot for posting these links to videos, Dave! :shock:

Clothes, (boring) songs... everything is amazing in these videos. She's singing / standing in such a respectful way... everything is under control, the way to look at the camera, the makeup, flowers in the hair. So weird when you know what she's done since.
RobB wrote:What strikes me most is Stina's total confidence in performing live before the cameras. She seems so totally unphased no matter how close the camera zooms in on her.

Twenty five years later its such a shame that someone so natural in performing live has done so little live work since. :(
I could not agree more.
"quand les mouettes ont pied, il est temps de virer" (dicton de marin breton)

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

It appears that these films were (re-) screened in Sweden last summer during a late night 10 part documentary series, 'I Remember My 40's', which ran from 8th June to 17th August on SVT

Strange that its taken so long for the material (and info) to appear here.

We must be losing our touch? :I :mrgreen:

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Where did you find that, RobB? I'm intrigued to know what the original programme was called and whether it's the same as 'Showtime' which an old Barbieboard message said she appeared on round that time.
Stina media appearances are few and far between, after all...

As well as Billie Holiday, the other manifest influence on Stina c.1989 is clear from these videos-Rickie Lee Jones.

I recently read an old interview with Stina where she says that she gave up jazz very suddenly one day and never went back. I hope she doesn't now feel the same about music generally.

I've been having 'Kiss me once, kiss me twice' going round my head as an earworm this morning. :lol: :?

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:I've been having 'Kiss me once, kiss me twice' going round my head as an earworm this morning. :lol: :?
Same here, its a very catchy beautifully sung song ^ :mrgreen:

Btw Dave, I've edited your original links so that they are now clickable.

I can't find the original links now....I was just using various permutations of the shows title while searching on Google.

However, here's a new link to last summers programme.

http://www.tv.nu/p/13061104200520svt1

I've been trying to find out exactly when the original show(s) were broadcast in 1989 but so far without luck. I don't think it was Showtime though. There appears to have been three tv series,hosted in the late 80's / early 90's by the pianist,Berndt Egerbladh, all with similar titles such as 'I remember my 50s' & 'I remember my 60s '.

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berndt_Egerbladh

Regarding the films, its interesting to see Stina, in pre-wiggy mode, with her natural reddish brown hair.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Stina should have performed this song as a bonus track at the very of The world Is Saved, :naughty: :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsHDWM8go2U

STRMBRG
Hallway

Post by STRMBRG »

Long sea, no time... :D

All three clips are from Jag minns mitt 40-tal, a ten part series broadcast on Swedish television between July and September 1989 and rerun last year. These songs are from episode 7, the only one where Stina was a guest. The host Bernt Egerbladh played with Stina the following year at the Umeå Jazz Festival.

There are two other interesting live appearances on Swedish television from those early years:

August 16th 1991 Stina appeared in Cabaret Liseberg. She performed My Funny Valentine and Come Down in Time (Elton John).

In the Show Kulturen, hosted by Ulrika Knutsson some time in the autumn of 1990 Stina is seen playing with the Flippermen at the Modern Museum i Stockholm.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Hey, great to see you back STRMBRG, and many thanks for bringing with you a wealth of very interesting info. 8)
I'll have to add your info to the time-line. :)

Episode 7 incidentally was broadcast on 27th July 1989.

From the nature of the shows are you able to say if the series was filmed and completed before the first edition was broadcast or were the shows being filmed and shown within a matter of days or weeks of each other?

Anyway,it does seem then that these 'Jag Minns Mitt 40' performances are the earliest (summer 1989) known recordings we have of Stina.

STRMBRG
Hallway

Post by STRMBRG »

My guess is that they recorded the whole series first, before transmission of the first episode. It has that unified feel.

The connection between Egerbladh and Stina during those early years of her career is quite interesting. In the article from Orkesterjournalen that I'm trying to upload she mentions a jazz course in Umeå (where Egerbladh lived) and she played with him after "Jag minns mitt 40-tal". It is possible that he opened a few doors for her when she was getting started. The article also says that singing in "Jag minns mitt 40-tal" led to a gig at Mosebacke which led to her big success att Skeppsholmen.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

STRMBRG wrote:My guess is that they recorded the whole series first, before transmission of the first episode. It has that unified feel.
That's interesting as that would place Stina's contribution as May 1989 at the latest,and possibly earlier depending on how much time was spent on editing etc.

Thanks for the Mosebacke info....another appearance to add to the growing list

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

Great find. And indeed strange how confident Stina is in this clip with performing live and with a camera. It is really a shame that she turned away from that confidence in her later work.

Blown_A_Wish
Hallway

Post by Blown_A_Wish »

Thanks so much for sharing these, really great to see her at this point in her life. And I agree with the rest of you, she looks incredibly confident and really displays the range and ability of her voice :)

However, maybe the confidence has something to do with her 'playing the role' of a 1940's jazz singer, through her get up, songs etc, and thus isn't being herself, which, for shy people tends to leads to a whole different kind of confidence.

Thanks again! :)