Rare Stina radio interview 1991

A place dedicated to the work of Stina Nordenstam
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Rare Stina radio interview 1991

Post by RobB »

Just discovered this podcast which offers up interviews from the archives of Sweden's P2 radio station.

From the link below, you can hear Stina's very first radio interview, talking in Swedish about 'Memories Of A Color'.

I haven't listened all the way through but if you want to scroll forward, it seems Stina's sections are between:

2:20 - 2:39
+
37:50 - 40:14

https://podtail.com/podcast/tollans-mus ... rdenstam-/

sound world
Bedroom

Re: Rare Stina radio interview 1991

Post by sound world »

Good find, RobB.

There's a Russian one on there too. https://podtail.com/podcast/%D0%BB%D1%8 ... m-%D0%B2-/
Search using 'Nordenstam' rather than Stina otherwise you get millions of hits on 'Stina Wollter'.

Had a bit of a listen to it, seems to be a playlist of her songs. The Russian blurb translates as: 'Swedish singer Stina Nordenstam, the owner of a gentle voice and complex character. The performer of touching melodies and the singer, which should not be judged on the first impression. In the second part of the program - fantasies on space themes.
The program "Lunar City" first appeared on air in October 1996. Its author and presenter Alexandra Romashova worked on Radio Rocks St. Petersburg since 1993, when the St. Petersburg branch of the station began broadcasting. In June 2011 there was a raider capture of Radio Rocks, and the Petersburg studio ceased to exist. Disappeared from the ether and the program "Lunar City". Now the program is released on the new radio Imagineradio.ru.
'

A raider capture? The mind boggles.

I'll get down and give them a good listen sometime. Now where's that instant translation app..... :lol: :roll:

There used to be another interview online for ages for Swedish Radio called 'Dress Naked' - from my (hazy) memory it was about PAS. I have got it on file somewhere. Maybe that will appear in due course.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Thanks for the additional info Dave, its encouaging that new info still turns up even after nearly 30 years.

Via feedback on the Stina FB group page, I have just discovered (well, the info is new to me anyway :mrgreen: ) that Stina's performance at Cabaret Liseberg (16/8/1991) was filmed and shown on Swedish television. Hopefully Stina singing 'My Funny Valentine' and Elton's 'Come Down in Time' will appear on-line one day !!

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

I would love to hear Stina singing Come Down In Time. Beautiful song!

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

There's a 1994 Interview from Swedish Radio online now too...here - https://sverigesradio.se/sida/avsnitt/1 ... ramid=4886

...but all in Swedish, alas for us non-Swedes. Blown-A-Wish, STRMBRG etc - are you here to help translate? :?

From the precis on the site (which I stuck into Google's grotesque translator) it sounds interesting:

"Meet the mysterious songwriter Stina Nordenstam in an interview from 1994. One of the first she did in Sweden's Radio.

Stina Nordenstam started as a 20-year-old to sing publicly. In 1989, she won the jazz club Fashing's honorary award. In 1991 she was awarded the Jazz in Sweden award and made a CD filled with exciting, self-contained compositions, scripts and lyrics. Material that originated from Stina Nordenstam's head and soul. The CD was titled Memories of a Color. Her breakthrough came with her wearing the CD'n: And She Closed Her Eyes.

After the breakthrough, Stina Nordenstam attracted enormous attention in the media. In the end it became too much for her. She flew on vacation to Turkey and, among other things, refused to participate in Stina Dabrowski's TV show. Although she was engaged in a very special musical expression, Stina Nordenstam was incorrectly engaging in some kind of pop songs, and she was exposed to various types of brand-name writing and comics.

Gubbsjuka music lovers and fancy pops to the writers dropped over her and stopped popping her into a corner of her own little trapped world. These journalists went in and assessed Stina Nordenstam's personal qualities and attributes in a malicious and patronizing manner. Just hear:

"The little girl has fallen herself down. Her entire artistic person is a martyrdom ..... it's pitiful ... I hope the little girl grows and grows a strong woman."

Or:

"If Stina Nordenstam has had a normal upbringing with puberty and so on, then this falls under the heading of power search. This is genuine Lolita pop, uncle who likes 15 years old will enjoy it."

Though there were those who understood how talented and multifaceted unique Stina Nordenstam is. And who was also able to judge the music. This is how it's written about her too:

"The intimate tone of voice conceals an inner noise, a sense of emotion, even though it never barks, leaves a worrying appeal sounding in the air ... Her murmurs out? Pushes a longing for 'the second language', which no one has heard, what nobody can speak. "

As well as: "

These are songs that just whisper in the mass moon and attract curious joke, "said the ears."

And further from a Danish newspaper: "Stina Nordenstam is one of the most fascinating acquaintances of Skandinavia. She has a deep personal universe? Some are happy to be introduced. This is music that does not ease but slowly opens for the patient listener. "

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Thanks for posting the above,Dave.

'She flew on vacation to Turkey and, among other things, refused to participate in Stina Dabrowski's TV show.' is probably the most interesting part from it. I wonder what the 'among other things' were?

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Just bumping this up again in case anyone who can speak / understand Swedish can translate the highlights from these radio interviews. Thanks. :)