Heartbreaking Music Related Breakages!!!!!!!

New bands are welcome
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Re: Heartbreaking Music Related Breakages!!!!!!!

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:Sick as a dog?
Exactly. :mrgreen:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

aftersea wrote: all radiohead members, conor oberst, julie doiron...and stina on PAS maybe? (sailing and love hurts/ field recordings)
Yep, I know in the days before he became surgically attached to his laptop, Thom Yorke wrote all his songs onto MD. He even released one recording officially as a b-side, How I Made My Millions.

I never thought about checking ebay for blanks actually, that's a good idea. *goes to check*
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

aftersea
Hallway

Post by aftersea »

oh you know that song, you must be quite a hardcore radiohead fan :mrgreen:
some say it was recorded on his 4 tracks machine!

indeed Thom has been using MD for quite a while now and i guess you know that story around "morning bell" and involving his md unit...funny!
he was still using them a lot during the process of his solo record(2005/2006, not too long ago)! in fact many parts on it were
recorded onto minidisc! and of course all the recording fields/radio on kidA/amnesiac!

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

aftersea wrote:oh you know that song, you must be quite a hardcore radiohead fan :mrgreen:
some say it was recorded on his 4 tracks machine!
It's one of my very favourite Thom songs. I think he said himself that what you hear on the single is the recording he made at home onto a mini-disc. He brought it to the band for reworking in the studio, but apparently they all loved it the way it was and decided it should go out in that form.

According to Thom, you can hear his girlfriend Rachel doing the washing up in the background. :D
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

I've recorded gigs with my band on my MD,balanced on a chair or shelf near the stage.The sound quality is phenomenal (my MD has a special 'gig' setting),better even than the recordings made on quasi-pro equipment made by a bass player who's depped with us once or twice, although obviously you can't do any mixing straight off the bat.Reminds me of the time (going even further back now) when DAT came out-all us musos were stunned by the quality.Where is DAT now,though?? :|

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Just bumping up this thread because it seems to contain the only previous mention on Boards of Canada.... and for all the wrong reasons.

And then I read about mini-discs, which is timely as I've recently bought my second mini-disc, 'All Shall Be Well' by Virginia Astley, me being a collector of all things Virginia Astley naturally. Unfortunately I can't play it as I don't have anything to play it with but nevermind. [b)]
And the title of my first mini-disc in case anyone is wondering? That's 'All Shall Be Well' by Virginia Astley as well. And I can't play that either !!! :shock: [b)] [b)] :mrgreen:

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Nice reading these old chestnuts...
I still use a Minidisc - in fact I've got FOUR players now; the Sony MZ-RH1, which was the ultimate Minidisc player, an amazing little machine though prone to the LED display fading (which is what happened to my first one, so I now have another to record on. The old one still plays OK). These machines fetch anything from £150 - £500 now - and I've got two! I also treated myself to a brilliant Onkyo hi-fi unit which is the only piece of hi-fi equipment you can put in a rack with other proper hi-fi which will play Hi-MDs. And I've got another bog-standard Sony portable which is on the way out now, playing discs occasionally when it feels like it.
Thre are quite a few dedicated MD users out there with a forum and a veneration for these brilliant little machines. As someone in the thread mentions, they just couldn't compete pricewise with the far inferior (soundwise) mp3players.
Very few PR MDs were made and they fetch stupid prices now, so I hope you didn't pay too much for your Astleys, RobB.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:Very few PR MDs were made and they fetch stupid prices now, so I hope you didn't pay too much for your Astleys, RobB.
I think I paid £20 for the first one a couple of years back and £16 for the recent one. They seldom have appeared on eBay, which is where I snatched my copies up from. What's nice about them is that they contain different artwork (photos etc) to their compact disc counterpart so from a collectors point of view well worth having.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

You did well - considering most PR MDs are just straight copies of CDs, they shouldn't go for much more than the price of a rare one. But some go at ridiculous prices, over £100.

I'm pretty sure that no Stina album has ever gone to MD, but I may be wrong: after all Stina's career coincides almost exactly with the height of the MD era.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:I'm pretty sure that no Stina album has ever gone to MD, but I may be wrong: after all Stina's career coincides almost exactly with the height of the MD era.
I think you're right and yet it does seem strange considering how popular she is (was?) in Japan. Although I haven't looked too closely on-line I must admit to never having seen a Stina related MD for sale anywhere.