Homeland

Talk about everything here
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Homeland

Post by RobB »

My favourite tv series to come out of the US in the last 20 years is Homeland. I've already been through my dvd boxset of seasons 1 to 7 once before and have no hesitation in going through all the episodes again. Currently I've just finsihed season 1. I haven't yet watched the final season yet so I'm impatiently waiting for that release on dvd, hopefully this year sometime.

sound world
Bedroom

Re: Homeland

Post by sound world »

Never heard of that one - what's that about then? Have to say, I'm pretty allergic to any series coming out of the USA unless it's radical/ironic.
Too many years as a kid forced to endure the Lucille Ball Show and other naff series.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:42 pm
Never heard of that one - what's that about then? Have to say, I'm pretty allergic to any series coming out of the USA unless it's radical/ironic.
Too many years as a kid forced to endure the Lucille Ball Show and other naff series.
It centers on Homeland security and CIA agent Carrie Mathison,who struggles to keep a lid on her bipolar illness. Its basically a dialogue heavy political thriller with great acting and complex plots, where you never quite know who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. It just constantly twists and turns and keeps you guessing, from one season to the next.

Lucille Ball? Never heard of her...I must be too young. :wink:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Just finished the seventh season so that's 72 episodes I've watched over the last fortnight. Now I've got to wait for the final season 8 to be released on dvd. :(

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

RobB wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:55 pm
that's 72 episodes I've watched over the last fortnight
So that's where you've been....If you look out the window it's quite sunny :mrgreen:

Working in a charity shop (well, presumably NOT at the moment) you must get first pick of the millions of cheapo DVDs that end up there. I buy a couple for a few quid and then take them back again a few weeks later. Dunno why charity shops don't turn into DVD libraries - now there's a career opportunity for you, Young Robert. :lol:

I do watch the occasional thing. Really enjoyed Detectorists when it was on, the best kind of gently observed and funny UK drama (and Diana Rigg - my heartthrob when I was 8 or 9 and she was Emma Peel :I - is in it, ageing beautifully). Also, my son having sorted us out with Netflix, we've been enjoying Ricky Gervais' 'Afterlife' series (about a guy trying to come to terms with his wife's death from cancer) and the brilliant 'Sex Education' which is (improbably) about a US-type high school in the Wye Valley. Both things have third series in the pipeline.
Netflix also good for finding music alternatives to BBC4's endless parade of boring rockumentaries on a Friday evening. Just wish it was easier to search.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:07 pm
RobB wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:55 pm
that's 72 episodes I've watched over the last fortnight
So that's where you've been....If you look out the window it's quite sunny :mrgreen:

Dunno why charity shops don't turn into DVD libraries - now there's a career opportunity for you, Young Robert. :lol:
Ha ha. Most of my viewing was done in the evening, when I would perhaps watch 5 or sometimes 6 episodes in a row. Most of the episodes last about 45 minutes each. Also, I would watch an episode or two at breakfast time. I'm totally bored with the news on tv now. Most of my time recently has been spent in the garden. I'm currently removing a lot of ivy from the rockery which had become overgrown. And when I'm not gardening,then I'm out walking. I haven't been on-line that much recently, mainly because of the lovely weather.

Re: DVD's...in all seriousness,we can barely give them away these days. At Kate's shop we normally sell them at 50p each and even at that price they don't sell.And after a couple of weeks we'll reduce the price to 10p....and still they don't sell. Even at places like Cash Converters, they've been selling their dvd stock for 10p......and even 5p occasionally. DVD's are going the way of video cassettes and will be obsolete within a few years. Its all Netflix and YouTube these days, people just don't want the clutter. How places like HMV can sell them at full price is beyond me.

Diana Rigg eh? My hearthrob was (so I was reliably informed in later years by my parents) was Alexandra Bastedo. ^

The other shows you mention I'm totally unfamiliar with. For a second I had hoped that Afterlife was After Life, the brilliant supernatural series with Lesley Sharp from a few years ago.