Men

Watched a good movie?
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Men

Post by RobB »

Has anyone seen the latest Alex Garland film, Men? That is one seriously strange film but I love it.

blue
Bedroom

Re: Men

Post by blue »

Is this one I probably shouldn't watch, Rob? :mrgreen:

The most recent film I saw at the cinema was Sam Mendes' new one, Empire of Light, with the ever amazing Olivia Coleman in the central role. It's set as 1980 turns into 1981, a time I remember well as it was a particularly traumatic one for me, aged 13. It set off a lot of resonances for me, from the music and the events of the time that are mentioned (2-Tone and riots, mainly), but also in the way the mental health issues of the central character are dealt with. God, I'd forgotten what it was like back then. :( It made me realize that although the underfunding of mental health resources is still shocking in this time, at least now we generally understand the importance of the subject and the need to be more open and more accepting of trauma responses and so on. Back then it was basically medication to try to make you stop 'acting out' because of the distress you were in. :?

Olivia Coleman is just so good in everything she does, this is quite a sad character but the outburst of truth when she temporarily stops taking her medication is spectacular. ^ And honestly, I will never look at Colin Firth the same way after this movie. :lol:
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

blue wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:45 am
Is this one I probably shouldn't watch, Rob? :mrgreen:
Yeah,I'd give this one a miss if I were you. :mrgreen:

I've liked Olivia Coleman ever since the Broardchurch series and many of my friends have seen Empire of Light and have liked it. I'm not over keen on the cinema though (I don't think I've been since I saw Panic Room about 18 years ago) so I'm going to avoid any spoilers and wait for its DVD release.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Yes she was amazing in Broadchurch, the end when she found out who the killer was .. omg, one of the most heartbreaking bits of acting I've seen.

She is hilarious too though of course, I must just post this clip from 'Letters Live', where she has been a regular performer. :-D

Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

blue wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:18 pm
She is hilarious too though of course, I must just post this clip from 'Letters Live', where she has been a regular performer. :-D
I was trying to remember who Olivia reminded me during that monologue, and then it came to me......Joyce Grenfell !! :D