when the snow's coming...

Talk about everything here
wirbel
Bathroom

when the snow's coming...

Post by wirbel »

...know how to build an igloo ;) [xmas]

The weather service here has again given a weather alert; this time not for storm, but for snow. So some people gave the advice to make yourself acquainted with building an igloo when you get stuck in the -to be expected, like always- evening traffic jams! (this happened 2005, people spent the night in their car on the highway...)
I came across this very interesting old movie about how a real one is built by the inuit; it's from 1949 i think; and it's very nice to see the crafmanship!

http://www.nfb.ca/enclasse/doclens/visa ... ort=title#
-I am a true Believer-

sound world
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by sound world »

The weathermen here are going on about snow.It's like a precious metal now,so rare here.Hopefully it will snow heaps tonight and we can go tobogganing tomorrow.So far...doesn't look like it :cry:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

It's snowing!! I woke up just after four, saw that snowlight through the curtains and had to get up. :oops: :D

It's been falling quite steadily since I've been up, hopefully there'll be a nice thick layer soon and we can go out to play. ^
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

When I got up at 5.30am :shock: there wasn't a flake to be seen over here in Essex but two hours later there's a covering now although the snow is rather fine. If it was rain then it would hardly be more than a drizzle.
The garden looks pretty covered in white and I think I'll stay indoors today.........I should be going into town and working on my house (kitchen arrived on Tuesday which now needs assembling) but the roads might be a bit dodgy so I think I shall leave it. :)

wirbel
Bathroom

Post by wirbel »

It did snow here in Rotterdam, starting at 9:30 and into the early afternoon; than after four it became a drizzling rain and now it's melting already. :(

But at least we've seen some of this white stuff they call snow; it's a rare find these days....

The people listened well to the 'weather alarm' cause there were hardly any cars on the roads.. still think calling it an alarm is too big of a word. :D
-I am a true Believer-

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

We had a load in the night.Alas I was teaching all morning at school so I didn't want to get messy beforehand,but the rest of my family went tobogganing at 7am.
And by lunchtime it was tipping it down with rain and it had all gone.... :cry:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

It snowed continually for hours and hours here today, didn't stop till lunchtime. Seriously, we must have had four inches of the stuff. :shock: Absolutely wonderful, we hardly ever get decent snow in this part of England.

It's still lying quite thick now, though the roadsides are black sludge.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...