The Strangers

Watched a good movie?
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

The Strangers

Post by RobB »

The Strangers:
three masked 'strangers' terrorize a young couple inside and outside their isolated home.

Ok,so thats the plot out of the way :mrgreen: but the way this film had been made makes for a rather gripping 75 minutes. Also worth seeing is 'Funny Games' which covers similar ground.

d.a.walker
Bathroom

Re: The Strangers

Post by d.a.walker »

Although good, it's far from an original concept. Funny Games did it much better back in the 1997 (as well as in the scene for scene English language remake from 2007) and French film Ils/Them (which The Strangers ripped off extensively because the producers couldn't secure the rights to remake it), is practically the same story done much more convincingly with greater social commentary.

I'd see these two first, then The Strangers. The Strangers is much tamer and more 'Hollywood'. The 1997 original of Funny Games is director Michael Haneke at his finest, though he probably is one of the worlds greatest and unafraid directors. Ils has such a raw, independent quality to it, as well as a more convincing setup and fantastic use of sound.
I dreamed of 747's, over geometric farms...

RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Re: The Strangers

Post by RobB »

'Them' was an excellent film although the final reveal I thought took a big liberty over what was being heard throughout the film with how the sounds were supposed to have been made.
(I'm trying hard to not reveal any spoilers here for those who havn't watched the film).

Its getting to the stage where nothing is really unique in horror anymore.There will always be partial influences at best to pointless re-makes at worst.

Last night I watched Whisper,which was ok but again,there were some really big nods to 'The Omen' & 'The Shining', in the 'creepy kids' stakes.

Talking of creepy kids, 'The Children' is worth watching. Not as scary as it could have been but pretty menacing at times and with a fairly unique plot as these films go.