The Björk Thread

Post by kuhn »

Medulla, masterpiece or rubbish?

Discuss Björk here.

pgss
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by pgss »

Well, I guess my opinion is already wellknown. I find the album a complete turnoff. Although I do like the brilliant video for the new single Triumph of a Heart.

kuhn
Bedroom

Post by kuhn »

I find Medulla to be stinking poor too. :evil:

fog
Kitchen

Post by fog »

Medulla?

A masterpiece, no less!

Finally i made my decision after my ears had bleedeed! :evil: :D
Reality is a personal choice

Spookrijder
Kitchen

Post by Spookrijder »

"stinking poor", kuhn :?:

You feels like home here, ain't you? I don't remember you writing so "in your face", I like it :lol:

But I disagree with you and with Paul, "Medulla" is a very good album, if not entirely successful, but very courageous. They are some great songs on it, Bj?rk is in top shape vocally. I still prefer "Vespertine" though.

kuhn
Bedroom

Post by kuhn »

Spookrijder wrote:"stinking poor", kuhn :?:

You feels like home here, ain't you? I don't remember you writing so "in your face", I like it :lol:

But I disagree with you and with Paul, "Medulla" is a very good album, if not entirely successful, but very courageous. They are some great songs on it, Bj?rk is in top shape vocally. I still prefer "Vespertine" though.
I should refrase:

"Medulla is stinking poor compared to what I expected from an artist of Bj?rk's format. Compared to her previous work, it belongs in the gutter, compared to Britney Spears's rubbish it's indeed a true one of a kind masterpiece".

OK? :wink:

fog
Kitchen

Post by fog »

Now that's better Kuhn! :lol:
Reality is a personal choice

~Michael
Hallway

Post by ~Michael »

I quite like Medulla myself. If this makes any sense, it feels very shaped by the simplicity and concreteness of eastern thought/religion, in that there aren't many individual songs to pick out. The whole thing works as one whole cohesive suite, each song is not atually a song, but a part of a whole body. I can completely understand people being upset because they wanted actual digestable/hummable songs.

Spookrijder
Kitchen

Post by Spookrijder »

Oh, ~Michael, I thought you would defend Britney Spears for it seems some of her singles are quite brilliant, ain't they? I'm still very curious to finally hear "Toxic" for example.

I agree with you on "Medulla". But I feel that album as a turn in her career. It could show some new direction Bj?rk is taking and I won't be surprised if "Medulla" will be seen as a draft for what will come next. I hope so.

Even Maja Ratkje wrote me that's the bravest Bj?rk till now. Of course, Maja is not the reference in would-be-entertaining music...

kuhn
Bedroom

Post by kuhn »

Spookrijder wrote:Oh, ~Michael, I thought you would defend Britney Spears for it seems some of her singles are quite brilliant, ain't they? I'm still very curious to finally hear "Toxic" for example.

I agree with you on "Medulla". But I feel that album as a turn in her career. It could show some new direction Bj?rk is taking and I won't be surprised if "Medulla" will be seen as a draft for what will come next. I hope so.

Even Maja Ratkje wrote me that's the bravest Bj?rk till now. Of course, Maja is not the reference in would-be-entertaining music...

Medulla is sort of a "can't have it all" record.

You either accept the experiment or keep hoping for something else.

So far, I'm hoping but I do see the value and courage of such an experiment for a "borderline personality, almost-mainstream" artist. :?

~Michael
Hallway

Post by ~Michael »

Yes, Spook, "Toxic" is pretty great :)

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

It's not a great album but I love its courage.It's so easy for an artist to tread water and plough the same old furrow...
And there's some wacky sounds on it.I like that sort of thing. :oops: :D

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

The Medulla album is couragious. That's the best word for it. But it doesn't always bring good songs. And this album lacks good tunes.

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

Spookrijder wrote: I'm still very curious to finally hear "Toxic" for example.
Toxic is a great song for the dancefloor. The least thing that could happen is that you'll be pleasantly surprised Spook.

paulr
Living room

Post by paulr »

i truly HATE "Medulla" I never bough it. Never listened to it completly. Bj?rk got off the line with this. I still think that. So much for the experiment Medulla.. it has failed for me.

And as much for "Toxic" It's -indeed Paul- a great dancefloor popsong with a GREAT video.
Down Desire Avenue ..