This Is.......Promos

A place dedicated to the work of Stina Nordenstam
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

This Is.......Promos

Post by RobB »

Having just added another 'This Is...' promo to my collection, I thought i'd just post up a few photos of the collection:

Unfortunately ,the right hand sides of the photos have been lost in the transfer but hopefully they are still clear enough.

Above:
My latest promo edition is the pic sleeve displayed on the bottom row,far right. This cover is interesting as it uses the uncropped photo of Stina (showing more of her arm),which also isn't as dark as the commercial album cover.

The cover can be seen more clearly below left.

Rare cd-r promo has the mis-titled 'Everything Else In The World', which is also printed incorrectly on the actual cd-r.

Update (1st June 2018): Although I don't own a copy, Discogs have yet another 'This Is....' related promo with a tracklisting variation. The third promo sporting the original 'Welcome To Happiness' title, this listing has Trainsurfing as the opening track along with other variations when compared to the other promos and the final album.

https://www.discogs.com/Stina-Nordensta ... se/9354168

sound world
Bedroom

Re: This Is.......Promos

Post by sound world »

You need to stick 'http' in front of the link to get them to render here,RobB.
But an interesting collection-four different ones?! very dedicated of you espec when the songs and artwork are essentially the same.I must try that alt. batting order for the songs,makes more sense in lots of ways.
Though I think if Stina really had called the album 'Welcome to happiness', it would have been laughed out of court.
She might as well have called ASCHE 'Fun songs about suicide,bombs and loneliness', or Dynamite 'My happy family (and other bastards)',or PAS 'Knees-up with Mrs. Nordenstam'. :wink:

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

sound world wrote:You need to stick 'http' in front of the link to get them to render here,RobB.
EDIT-looks like you have. :D

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Just thinking...it might be a nice idea to bring a few rarities along to the April 10th meet.

I shall bring the DYNAMITE book :O . 50p a look. :mrgreen:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:Just thinking...it might be a nice idea to bring a few rarities along to the April 10th meet.

I shall bring the DYNAMITE book :O . 50p a look. :mrgreen:
.......... or 75p to touch it and for a cool £1 to actually hold it. :mrgreen:

I think the reason why the right hand side of the photos are missing is because of the margin containing our profile details. If it wasn't for that the photos would be seen whole.
Thats my excuse anyway. :wink:

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

I can see the rhs of the photos...no problem...?
Have you taken your eyepatch off today yet, RobB? :mrgreen:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:I can see the rhs of the photos...no problem...?
Have you taken your eyepatch off today yet, RobB? :mrgreen:
ha ha............and triple ha. :mrgreen:

I think its probably because of the way I choose to have my page displayed.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Interesting to see the lighter version of the cover pic. I think it loses something compared to the darker one, though - I love the sort of gothic feel of the latter, the 'halo' is amazing and it seems to convey more of the feeling the content implies, ie it's like a modern-day version of those old paintings of saints (I assume that's what she was going for, as the arms-crossed-on-the-breast gesture is a classic Christian symbol of submission, often found in paintings of saints).

I love that cover so much, even now. Still my favourite. ^
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

RobB wrote:
I think its probably because of the way I choose to have my page displayed. (see below........piccie is poor but i think you can make out the layout)

Hmm,I wonder if you switched to the Barbieboard skin (like me), it might show up better? or change your display resolution?
blue wrote: (I assume that's what she was going for, as the arms-crossed-on-the-breast gesture is a classic Christian symbol of submission, often found in paintings of saints).
Oh,I always thought it was-'whoops,me shirt needs pulling up'. :wink:
But it is a lovely picture.Actually I love all her album covers...except the 'outer box' of PAS.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Incidentally,this reminds me that I once found an old post by Fog (Greek guy,around CQD c.'02-'03) in which he claimed to have found a 'Sharon and Hope' single with a different cover,I quote :-
'It features Stina in a black and white photo looking demurely at the camera holding something like a photo-frame which says: Stina Nordenstam "Sharon&Hope".
The CD shows that kind of halogen circular look like a halo lamp which features on the cover of "This is..."
Very very very nice!!!!'

I have never heard of this before or since.Was he having us on? It smacks of the whole Magnus Shoval/Sasha Erikson red herring which I now feel was utter bollocks.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

It wasn't until i obtained my latest promo cd-r last week that i realised that a promo existed with an uncropped photo cover so even after eight years these things can turn up out of the blue. It would be interesting to know just how many were actually produced of each version?

As for Fog's 'Sharon & Hope' promo, I guess its quite possible that an alternative cover design was produced.That being the case though,it must have been in very small numbers as i've never seen one for sale.

Erm.....i'm not going to tamper with my site settings.......knowing me i'd end up deleting myself. :mrgreen:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

sound world wrote:
Oh,I always thought it was-'whoops,me shirt needs pulling up'. :wink:
Aha. :D

I think she's employing the religious symbolism very wittily - the halo as an ironic comment on the status of artists in the rock world, and the arm-crossed-on-the-breast gesture as a comment on how she feels about having her identity so blatantly presented on this cover, ie as if she's having to submit to it. It makes me wonder if Independiente, her then-new label, pressured her into having a less enigmatic, more clearcut and upfront image of herself on the cover, in line with the way other (particularly female) musicians are presented to the public? Or maybe she just felt pressured.

Or maybe the 'saint/angel/martyr' and the 'submission' elements are more connected to the relationships she was having at the time. Who knows. :wink:
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

sound world wrote:Incidentally,this reminds me that I once found an old post by Fog (Greek guy,around CQD c.'02-'03) in which he claimed to have found a 'Sharon and Hope' single with a different cover,I quote :-
'It features Stina in a black and white photo looking demurely at the camera holding something like a photo-frame which says: Stina Nordenstam "Sharon&Hope".
The CD shows that kind of halogen circular look like a halo lamp which features on the cover of "This is..."
Very very very nice!!!!'

I have never heard of this before or since.Was he having us on? It smacks of the whole Magnus Shoval/Sasha Erikson red herring which I now feel was utter bollocks.
I remember V. telling something around that time that the different cover doesn't excist unless it was something fanmade.

As for the Magnus Shoval single: stina confirmed on the barbieboard that it is real. She said in her message there that she totally forgot the Magnus Shoval song. So I guess there's nothing utter bollocks about that.

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

sound world wrote:Oh,I always thought it was-'whoops,me shirt needs pulling up'. :wink:
:mrgreen:
blue wrote:It makes me wonder if Independiente, her then-new label, pressured her into having a less enigmatic, more clearcut and upfront image of herself on the cover, in line with the way other (particularly female) musicians are presented to the public? Or maybe she just felt pressured.
As far as I can recall the recording for This Is had been completed before the deal with Independiente was made. I can't imagine that Stina would find herself in the situation of being pressured into artwork she didn't want. Beside that: she's always had covers or booklets with clear photographs of herself. See the backphotograph of Dynamite and the booklet for The World Is Saved (which she had full control about).

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

pgss wrote: As for the Magnus Shoval single: stina confirmed on the barbieboard that it is real. She said in her message there that she totally forgot the Magnus Shoval song.
You have an amazing memory Paul? I'd forgotten all about that confirmation but now that you've mentioned it...... :I :mrgreen: