This Is.......Promos

A place dedicated to the work of Stina Nordenstam
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Re: This Is.......Promos

Post by RobB »

pgss wrote: As far as I can recall the recording for This Is had been completed before the deal with Independiente was made.
That would have meant that Ian and Stina would have had to have funded the studio time in Los Angeles themselves which would have been a scary prospect for them? Also,wouldn't they (via Silentway) have owned the recordings and simply licenced them to Independiente?

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Interesting that that cover is the only 'indoor' photo of Stina from This Is. It suits the title of the album better (than 'Welcome to Happiness'). All the other pics from then are of Stina gallivanting around Copenhagen (or is it New York?) which makes me suspect that it was specially shot for 'This Is'.and maybe Stina was coerced into it.
Also interesting that it followed PAS where Stina herself took loads of self-portraits 'in disguise',and had complete ownership of the artwork.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote: All the other pics from then are of Stina gallivanting around Copenhagen (or is it New York?)
I think it was in New York.....at a meat market or fish market.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Looking at the album pics again,perhaps it isn't an indoor shot...since Stina is wearing the same (or a very similar) dress to the one in the other pics,and they're all taken by Eva Muller,so maybe from the same session after all?
It is a meat market,there's a couple of other pics not in the CD booklet,one of which has Stina standing outside 'NYACK MEAT'. :mrgreen:

Meanwhile I listened through to This Is in the 'Welcome to Happiness' order-which I think I prefer,probably because there were lots of surprises where I didn't expect them.
It's the first time I've listened all through 'This Is' for a couple of years.What a lovely album. :)

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:It's the first time I've listened all through 'This Is' for a couple of years.What a lovely album. :)
It's taken eight years but you've finally come to your senses. :P :mrgreen:

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

No,I've always liked it,I just think it pales beside the rest of Stina's output. But three or four of the tracks are among my all-time Stina favourites.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Just bumping up this thread as i've recently added a new addition to my 'This Is....' cd-r promo collection........this one a five track samplar,including 'Everything (sic) Else in The World'. (see opening post on page 1)
Well spotted Dave !! :mrgreen:

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Yes, well done for getting it, RobB. It isn't even mentioned in any of the discogs I've seen (but I think 'purjo' checks in here-he's put a link to my pic of the MOAC cassette on his site).

kuhn
Bedroom

Post by kuhn »

a new one, well worth the 1€ :lol:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Excellent find,kuhn. Where did you source that one from? :)

It seems it must have been one of the later promos as the songtitles,sequencing and album title are finally all in order.

Although the fact that someone has just written Stina on the cd-r (as opposed to a factory printed credits) makes me wonder if it was someones home made attempt at creating a promo. :?

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

I saw that, it was on eBay. There's a point when I question the wisdom of having one more copy of an album I've already got in the same track order, just because it comes in a different and not very interesting wrapper. I really don't think Stina collectables of this order are ever going to be worth anything...

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

I havn't been on eBay since returning from my holiday. I'm out of routine a bit.

I don't think any of Stina's collectables are ever going to be really valuable unfortunately. If she was suddenly to become commercially popular and there was a sudden interest in her past works,then demand would start pushing up prices for collectors.

But thats pretty unlikely to happen.

Still,its nice to own a promo with the knowledge that there are so few about. I've never played any of my promos to be honest......little point really when the standard album is available.

kuhn
Bedroom

Post by kuhn »

That is true, Stina promos are almost "worthless" (as "investment items"), and record collecting is a thing of the past.

However, (cheap) promos are interesting since they might differ from the final release, as with some of the This Is promos (alternate outros/intros) - or the And She Closed Her Eyes sampler. and who knows, maybe the lost b-sides are mysteriously attached to the end (as if!)? :lol:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

kuhn wrote: or the And She Closed Her Eyes sampler. and who knows, maybe the lost b-sides are mysteriously attached to the end (as if!)? :lol:
You were certainly very fortunate with that ASCHE promo cassette. 8)

kuhn
Bedroom

Post by kuhn »

RobB wrote:
kuhn wrote: or the And She Closed Her Eyes sampler. and who knows, maybe the lost b-sides are mysteriously attached to the end (as if!)? :lol:
You were certainly very fortunate with that ASCHE promo cassette. 8)
nothing this time though...

except a sticker like this one on the plastic cover (a "little star"):